: Schools in state fired up over Day of Action

  • Charles Rachlis
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/28/BA2L1C6QNT.DTL
      Schools in state fired up over Day of Action
      Nanette Asimov, Chronicle Staff Writer
      Sunday, February 28, 2010
      PRINT E-MAIL SHARE COMMENTS (8) FONT | SIZE:
      Jessica Pons / The Chronicle
      Fernando Curiel, 20, works on the puppet "La Llorona" (left), a woman weeping for students. It is one of four in-your-face props, including a skeleton wearing a graduation cap, being created for Thursday's protests.
      View More Images (2)MORE EDUCATION
      * Education cuts may lead to U.S. brain drain 02.27.10
      * UC Berkeley fee protest turns rowdy02.27.10
      * Ideas aplenty to deal with cuts at S.F. schools 02.26.10
      March 4th has gone viral.
      The upcoming Day of Action to Defend Public Education - rallies, marches, teach-ins, even political theater - began as an idea on the UC Berkeley campus last fall and has caught fire up and down California, from elementary school to graduate school, and across two dozen states.
      On the surface, Thursday's Day of Action seems likely to be an unprecedented show of unity among public education advocates at all levels who are angry that politicians and university officials with fingers on purse strings are letting the system decay.
      "Everybody's coming together," said Callie Maidhof, a student at UC Berkeley, where students have protested tuition hikes, budget cuts and layoffs since last fall.
      But some say the event is already scorched by the threat of violence. At an outdoor dance party early Friday, a crowd of Berkeley campus protesters seized a building, torched trash cans, threw bottles and got into an angry confrontation with police.
      Hostilities unwanted
      Students said protesters occupied the building in part to call attention to March 4th, and don't expect the hostilities to be repeated Thursday.
      "It's important not to inject that level of damage into every action, or you'll alienate lots of people who don't want to act that way," said Xander Lenc, a student at the dance party that got out of hand.
      A major goal of Thursday's Day of Action is to draw attention to education woes not only in California, but all over the country, Maidhof said. "We want public education to be open and free to all."
      Instead, college tuition has been climbing steadily in most states and in California, despite a state master plan calling for tuition-free colleges.
      At UC, next year's base tuition of $10,302 will be more than double that of six years ago. Recent tuition hikes of more than 30 percent at UC and at California State University have forced students to shoulder more of the cost of their education as state lawmakers have cut back on funding to the universities in response to the state's epic budget crisis. Schools are offering fewer courses, cutting wages, laying off employees and reducing enrollment.
      At community colleges, course cuts will close the door to 21,000 students next year.
      In the lower grades, thousands of teachers will get layoff warnings by March 15. Holding the Day of Action in time to highlight those pink slips is one reason students and teachers say they chose the date March 4.
      "We hope to educate our politicians that the system they have for funding schools is not equitable and needs to be changed," said Megan Caluza, who has taught special-needs students at El Dorado Elementary in San Francisco for two years and expects to be laid off.
      She'll march with colleagues and parents through the Mission District after school, then head to a 5 p.m. rally at Civic Center - one of many sponsored by labor unions and faculty.
      "Everyone agrees that education should be a right, not a privilege," said Joan Berezin, co-chairwoman of the social science department at Berkeley City College and an organizer. "This is our state, our education. If we don't defend it, who will?"
      All 23 campuses of California State University are holding events.
      A sense of humor
      Rachel Kerns, a sophomore at San Francisco State, recently put final touches on a 12-foot papier-mache "Draculator." It's one of four huge, in-your-face puppets that students, theater Professor Carlos Barón and artist Colette Crutcher are creating for Thursday's rally.
      The group is building a traditional Mexican weeping figure called "La Llorona" to cry for students, dinosaur bones to signify the extinction of education, and a huge skeleton in a graduation cap.
      "It's a student who's still paying college loans even after he's dead," Crutcher said with a laugh.
      "March 4th, I hope, will give the students a feeling of accomplishment," Barón said. "If we make noise, and if we're heard - if people laugh at our work - then we'll have achieved something very positive. We're not there to scream at people."
      March 4th was born on Oct. 24, when hundreds of students and employees from dozens of schools met at UC Berkeley to decide how to keep momentum alive after a major statewide campus walkout a month earlier to protest the fee hikes and cuts in the works.
      Since then it seems everyone is planning something for that day.
      "We wanted to get involved with the national call by California students who are facing the same crisis as we are," said Chris Persampieri, a student at Massasoit Community College in Brockton, Mass., one of several schools in dozens of states holding rallies.
      Will it make a difference?
      "I don't think March 4th is going to do anything," said UC Berkeley student Yana Pavlova. "We don't have the tangible power to change the law. So at the end of the day, we're back where we started, paying $30,000 for a 'public' education."

      A Day of Action: Events planned in the Bay Area and Sacramento. C3
      A Day of Action to Defend Public Education
      Events planned Thursday in the Bay Area and Sacramento:
      Sacramento
      -- 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: State Capitol rally on the north steps. The purpose is to feature lessons on California's public education system, focusing on history, political science and economics. Speakers include Assembly Majority Leader Alberto Torrico, D-Fremont, and UC Berkeley Professor George Lakoff.
      -- Two-minute testimonials from faculty, alumni and public college students will follow.
      San Francisco
      -- Daylong: San Francisco public schools will host teach-ins, marches, rallies and letter writing starting at 7 a.m. Many will host rallies and marches, including El Dorado Elementary from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.; George Washington High from 11:20 a.m. to noon; Feinstein Elementary at 1 p.m.; and Miraloma Elementary at 2:15 p.m.
      -- 7 a.m.: San Francisco State University campus action.
      -- 3 p.m.: March from 24th and Mission streets to Civic Center.
      -- 4 p.m.: March to State Building on McAllister Street.
      -- 5 p.m.: "Rally for Our Future" at Civic Center, with speakers and performances.
      Oakland
      -- Daylong: Oakland public schools will offer activities highlighting the impact of school funding cuts. Activities include leafleting and picketing before class.
      -- 11 a.m.: Laney College rally, followed by march (via Fruitvale BART) to Oakland City Hall.
      -- Noon-4 p.m.: Rally at Frank Ogawa Plaza (in front of Oakland City Hall, 14th and Broadway).
      -- 4 p.m.: Oakland school officials hold press conference at 1515 Clay St.
      UC Berkeley
      -- 7 a.m.-noon: Pickets on campus.
      -- Noon-1 p.m.: UC Berkeley rally at Bancroft and Telegraph, followed by a march to Oakland City Hall.
      Cal State East Bay, Hayward
      -- Noon: Rally, walkout and open mike/speak out at Agora Stage at noon; delivery of student demands to campus president.
      California Maritime Academy, Vallejo
      -- Noon: Street Theatre/Mock Die-In at Maritime's main quad.
      San Jose State
      -- 11 a.m.: March from San Jose City Hall to San Jose State Tower Lawn.
      -- Noon: Keep the Doors Open rally at San Jose State Tower Lawn
      Sonoma State
      -- 11:30 a.m.: Student walkout
      -- Noon-1:30 p.m.: Rally near Stevenson Quad
      E-mail Nanette Asimov at nasimov@....

    • Roger
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2010
        So what was achieved?
        This was noticed and heard about nationwide.
        What was achieved? Anything that can be used to improve education?
        Anyone?
        Advance thanks for whoever knows.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2010
          Roger asks, "What was achieved." One could say the same thing about the Boston Tea Party, or John Browns raid on Harpers Ferry or the first 5 years of the Anti-Viet-Nam war movement...what is achieved is the understanding that we do not have to be silent and take the attacks on our social wage without a fight. What is achieved is the slumbering American working class is getting its first sense that the politicians are usless, the union leaders are useless and that if we don't do something ourselves to fight for our education, our jobs, our social safety net it will all be stolen from us on the alter of the so called free-markets endless drive for profit. We don't know what has been achieved but we do know the politicians are so scared that they all jump on board even the Chancellor and the Governor all release statements supporting the actions as long as they are "peacefull". All the politicians and sell out trade union leaders will now try to
          contain what has the potential to errupt into a movement that can force change. However to force the change we want: free public education from pre-school to post graduate and adult ed for all, jobs for all, and end to foreclosures, an end to the wars, citizenship rights for immigrant workers and their families will take a much higher level of action than what we saw on March 4. To win the demands of the March 4 protesters it will take an indefinate General Strike that shuts down the state, that unites the education community and the public workers (city, county, state and federal) with the unemployed and underemployed as well as those who are lossing their jobs such as those at NUMMI and those loosing social benifits such as elderly care, head start, medical benifits etc. Short of this kind of movement the populase will be put back to sleep with the likes of Jerry Brown, the Lakeoff Amendment and the dream that democaracy will come to Sacramento and
          tax the big corporations. But this endless faith in the Democrats is based on the misguided view the capitalism can be revived for any more than a series of short upturns followed by extended long downturns which undercut the wage base and drive down the condition of the working class in the first world to meet that of the workers in the third world.

          So what has been achieved? Not much but potential is gathering.
          What happens is ultimately up to you. A good first step is to drive out the existing rotten leadership of the UTR and vote in the Progressive Teachers slate.

          Charles Rachlis