Close vote on West Contra Costa teachers contract prompts recount

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
      Close vote on West Contra Costa teachers contract prompts recount
      By Katherine Tam
      Contra Costa Times <ktam@...?subject=ContraCostaTimes.com:
      Close vote on West Contra Costa teachers contract prompts recount>
      Updated: 11/09/2009 10:43:47 PM PST

      Ballots for a three-year West Contra Costa teachers contract will be
      recounted Tuesday, after an earlier tally showed it passing by just nine
      votes.

      Teachers voted last week to ratify the contract with 698 yes ballots and 689
      no ballots, according to the United Teachers of Richmond Web site. If that
      count holds, it will be the narrowest margin by which the union has ever
      approved a contract.

      The vote and recount come at a time of mounting tension between the
      30,000-student West Contra Costa Unified School District and its teachers
      union, marked by months of stalled negotiations, accusations of unfair labor
      practices and the school board's imposition of a contract in July. Union
      members voted overwhelmingly in August to strike if a permanent agreement is
      not reached.

      But a number of union members say the process by which votes were counted
      last week has been compromised. On Monday afternoon, more than two dozen
      gathered at union headquarters in Pinole to ask questions and seek a new
      vote.

      "This is obviously a very important matter to our members," said teacher
      Amanda Henderson, who sits on the union's election committee. "They deserve
      honesty and transparency. If the membership is to trust the union, they will
      need to have trust in its election process too."

      On Thursday, the last of three days of voting on the contract at school
      sites, the election committee counted ballots from each school while five
      observers watched. The tallies were compiled on to one list. The committee
      chairwoman used a calculator to add it up and left the room. Several
      committee members, observers and longtime union members say this is unusual;
      the chair typically asks another committee member to check the math, and the
      committee certifies the results before delivering it to the president, they
      say.

      After 10 minutes, union President Pixie Hayward Schickele entered the room
      where the committee and observers were waiting and said the contract was
      ratified. Election committee member Lisa Reynolds asked for vote totals, but
      she said Hayward Schickele refused. Reynolds said that when she asked why,
      Hayward Schickele told her, "I don't want to."

      Teachers said they lack confidence in the process and a new election must be
      conducted.

      "This has to be a transparent process," teacher Diane Brown said.

      The union's executive board voted Saturday to have the elections committee
      recount ballots because the vote is so close, Hayward Schickele said. The
      recount is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, and results are expected to be
      known Tuesday night.

      "I don't believe it will change anything," Hayward Schickele said Monday.

      Hayward Schickele said ballots were correctly counted Thursday. She did not
      release vote totals that night, she said, because the union needed to verify
      provisional ballots, which could not be done until the next day. Some
      committee members said provisional ballots were verified as the count was
      being done Thursday, and they did not see leftover ballots.

      On Monday afternoon, teachers seeking answers crowded around Hayward
      Schickele as she tried to leave the union headquarters parking lot in her
      car. Pinole police intervened, and Hayward Schickele left. She returned
      after about a half-hour and entered the office from a door separate from the
      main entrance. She asked union members inside to leave so she could lock the
      office.

      The teachers asked Hayward Schickele to answer questions about what happened
      and why. Hayward Schickele insisted that rules were followed, which union
      members disputed.
      here is the link to the entire article:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/bay-area-news/ci_13748454

    • c_cowens
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
        Reversal of Fortune

        Here it is on the UTR Web site.

        <<
        Tentative Agreement Fails in Recount

        The UTR Elections Committee recounted the ballots on Tuesday, November 10, 2009. The new totals are:

        YES 671
        NO 705

        The tentative agreement was not ratified.

        Oh, brother!

        Charley Cowens

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, c slamon <cslamon@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > release vote totals that night, she said, because the union needed to verify
        > provisional ballots, which could not be done until the next day. Some
        > committee members said provisional ballots were verified as the count was
        > being done Thursday, and they did not see leftover ballots.
        >
        > On Monday afternoon, teachers seeking answers crowded around Hayward
        > Schickele as she tried to leave the union headquarters parking lot in her
        > car. Pinole police intervened, and Hayward Schickele left. She returned
        > after about a half-hour and entered the office from a door separate from the
        > main entrance. She asked union members inside to leave so she could lock the
        > office.
        >
        > The teachers asked Hayward Schickele to answer questions about what happened
        > and why. Hayward Schickele insisted that rules were followed, which union

      • Jim Cowen
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
          If she doesnt get run out as union president then America is dying a slow death.
          If she is honest, then she is just plain stupid. If she is dishonest, then she is the worst liar ever.
          Jim

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
            At the end of the article mentioned here in this thread, something is made of the phrasing of the no option on the ballot that teachers voted on. What exactly did it say?

            Charley Cowens

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
              The ballot was phrased oddly.

              the options were
              __Yes, I want to ratify the contact
              or
              __No, I want to strike

              (thats not verbatim)

              many would argue it should have read
              __Yes, I want to ratify the contract
              or
              __No, I do not want to ratify the contract

              Then, if the NO prevails, the option would be to return to the bargaining table, and possibly strike.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
                Replace the word "want" with the word "vote" and you have the ballot.  Pixie or someone (whoever is willing to take the responsibility) thought that if the membership were sufficiently scared into believing that a strike was the only option, the contract would be ratified. This was in fact what she kept hammering at the members at the informational meetings.  Fortunately she was not very convincing.

                Eduardo

                From: c_cowens <c_cowens@yahoo. com>

                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

                Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 2:58 PM

> [...]

                > > release vote totals that night, she said, because the union needed to verify

                > > provisional ballots, which could not be done until the next day. Some

                > > committee members said provisional ballots were verified as the count was

                > > being done Thursday, and they did not see leftover ballots.

                > > On Monday afternoon, teachers seeking answers crowded around Hayward

                > > Schickele as she tried to leave the union headquarters parking lot in her

                > > car. Pinole police intervened, and Hayward Schickele left. She returned

                > > after about a half-hour and entered the office from a door separate from the

                > > main entrance. She asked union members inside to leave so she could lock the

                > > office.

                > > The teachers asked Hayward Schickele to answer questions about what happened

                > > and why. Hayward Schickele insisted that rules were followed, which union

              • Charles Rachlis
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
                  I agree with Eduardo. Pixie has nothing to do with helping the teachers win a fair contract. Her chosen task is to sell out the teachers and the community. That is why she worded the contract in such a way to scare the teachers into the YES vote. But the teachers were aware of her as a sell out and rejected the contract and voted for the strike, and now it is clear to almost everyone that she is has joined the ranks of the bosses. She brought the CTA bozo's in and tried to sell the Arne Duncan's Charter School plan, when that didn't work she actually met with and shared the stage with SCAB HERDER HARDER at the Democratic party forum showing her total class collaboration politics. She is the transmission belt for the Obama/Summers/Rubin plan to make the working class pay for the economic crisis of capitalism and allow the charter school plans that are intended to destroy public education and open our kids schools up to the rationalizing force
                  of Wall Street. Her statements on the radio (KPFA news) last night prove she has no vision how to win the funds needed for our district. The fact that she called the police on our teachers who were defending their ballots from her attempt to steal the election shows clearly that she places herself outside working class morality. WORKERS DO NOT EMPLOY THE BOSSES ARMED FORCE OR THEIR COURTS TO SETTLE OUR DISPUTES. Pixie is now an class enemy and must be thrown out of the UTR for trying to steal the election and calling the police on the workers who were trying to protect the ballot recount from her sell out.

                  To win quality education and a fair contract in WCCUSD the teachers need to take back their union. Pixie will not step down without being forced out. The teachers need to hold a mass assemblies to run out the sell out leadership and rise up a new militant leadership ready to enforce the will of the vote for the strike. The tasks are enormous but to win the majority must rise up and take back their union and all its resources. If the paid staff do not agree to work for the majority they must be replaced. Then strike preparation must begin with mass meetings of teachers, parents and students who will build the Strike Schools, the Strike Kitchens, the Picket Squads, those who will reach out to all labor in the Bay Area and make RICHMOND GROUND ZERO IN THE FIGHT FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION. Teachers and community need to link with the strikers at UC and the USC who are fighting for higher education on Nov18-20, build links to the Public workers on
                  furlough who are fighting back on Nov 20th protest at the University overpass at 580, build links with the Oakland teachers and the other school districts under the gun. This strike can only be won if we turn it into a political battle that challenges the Obama plan to enforce the crisis of capitalism on the backs of working people.

                  Here in Richmond where our kids have a better chance of going to prison then finishing with a degree leading to a good paying job the community can see the wealth of Chevron by the bay and the million dollar homes in and on the other side of the hills. We can't buy the lie that there is no money. We know where it is and to get it will take a massive strike action starting here in Richmond and spreading across the state and nation.
                  Time to hit the bricks. Down with the PIXIE/HARTER/ARNOLD/OBAMA PLAN TO STEAL OUR RIGHT TO AN EDUCATION! PREPARE EVERY PARENT TO WALK THE PICKET LINE WITH THE TEACHERS! TURN EVERY CHURCH INTO A STRIKE SCHOOL AND STRIKE KITCHEN! GET ALL LABOR UNIONS IN THE BAY AREA TO SEND PICKET SUPPORT! GET PICKET SUPPORT FROM THE UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE YOUTH! TURN RICHMOND'S STRUGGLE INTO THE FIGHT FOR FREE QUALITY EDUCATION FOR ALL ACROSS THE STATE AND NATION!

                  Charles Rachlis

                  ________________________________

                  From: c_cowens <c_cowens@yahoo. com>

                  To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

                  Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 2:58 PM

> [...]

                  > > release vote totals that night, she said, because the union needed to verify

                  > > provisional ballots, which could not be done until the next day. Some

                  > > committee members said provisional ballots were verified as the count was

                  > > being done Thursday, and they did not see leftover ballots.

                  > > On Monday afternoon, teachers seeking answers crowded around Hayward

                  > > Schickele as she tried to leave the union headquarters parking lot in her

                  > > car. Pinole police intervened, and Hayward Schickele left. She returned

                  > > after about a half-hour and entered the office from a door separate from the

                  > > main entrance. She asked union members inside to leave so she could lock the

                  > > office.

                  > > The teachers asked Hayward Schickele to answer questions about what happened

                  > > and why. Hayward Schickele insisted that rules were followed, which union

                • Lucy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
                    The ballot stated the following:

                    Yes - Ratify the tetative agreement

                    No - Go on Strike

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
                      I agree that we need to have a vote of no confidence and take out the current utr leadership, however we as teachers should not lower ourselves to Pixie's unethical behavior. We need to work within the by-laws and when this mess is cleaned up, strengthen them.

                      We are teachers because we want to educate our young people, however, we are not volunteers. If we do not have a salary package that is above poverty level, we will not be able to attract strong new teachers to our district. We have teachers retiring in a mass exodus in order to hold onto their lifetime benefits. They get to do so under the current imposition if they retire by December 30th.

                      We need to learn from Mt. Diable, they did not fight for their benefits and gave them up for a $10,000 raise. That still was not enough to pay for healthcare so a lot of those teachers came to WCCUSD because we have full healthcare as part of our salary package.

                      Please remember that the district did not give us health benefits, we have given up salary raises to maintain our healthcare package. As for the furlough days, one is not even a real furlough day. The minutes are added back into the rest of the school year.

                      Lucy Giusto
                      Hercules Middle/High School