West Contra Costa school, teachers union officials continue talks

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
      West Contra Costa school, teachers union officials continue talks

      Shelly Meron
      Contra Costa Times
      Updated: 10/21/2009 03:07:35 PM PDT

      West Contra Costa school district and teachers union officials met for
      a second straight day today for negotiations on a teachers contract.
      The two sides met Tuesday for the first time since Sept. 15, when the
      United Teachers of Richmond requested more financial information from
      the district. Union leaders have been going over the reports since the
      beginning of this month, UTR President Pixie Hayward Schickele said
      previously. She was not available for comment today.
      District spokesman Marin Trujillo said he could not discuss the
      details of bargaining.
      Teachers and the district are expected to continue discussing issues
      such as health care caps, class sizes and changes to seniority
      provisions.

      here is the link to the entire article:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13611210
    • Francie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
        UTR sent out an email to members tonight that we have a tentative agreement and details will follow.

        Francie
        Crespi Middle
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
          Thanks for the info. I suspect the money parts won't be that different
          from the other agreements. I have already collected together and
          posted these as part of a CBAC post at:

          http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxWrZfvAcOrPNjdmMzYzOTMtYTFkZi00OGM4LTliYWYtYzIy\
          MzUxZWMxMTE4
          or
          http://tr.im/CnS8

          It will be interesting to see if anything further comes of the charter
          district idea.

          Charley Cowens
          http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

          On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Francie <fdkunaniec@...> wrote:
          > UTR sent out an email to members tonight that we have a tentative agreement and details will follow.
          >
          > Francie
          > Crespi Middle

        • c slamon
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
            Hopefully all of us can now move forward and our parents and students do not
            have to worry about a strike. I won't feel safe about that until it's
            ratified by our board, as the Local One tentative agreement was ratified
            tonight at the board meeting. Mike Wasilchin from Local One spoke very
            eloquently about the huge sacrifices that the lowest paid workers for our
            school district made by taking this vote. I thank the Local One members for
            reaching this agreement and for the sacrifices they are making for their own
            families and for all of the families in our district with school aged
            children. I also thank the teachers for working to reach a compromise and
            for the sacrifices that they appear to be making for our students. It's
            been a long difficult road to travel to reach this compromise and hopefully
            the path will not always be this challenging. We are all in this together
            and we have to work to move forward as best we can in these
            difficult financial circumstances. Thank you for making these tough votes,
            I appreciate your support of our students. We do have many inspirational
            things happening in our district and I am going to continue to work to keep
            those ideals and strong programs going.

            Regards,
            Christina Slamon

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
              Shelly Meron (West County Times) just tweeted ( @shellymeron ) that
              the vote on the tentative UTR agreement is slated for the week of Nov.
              2.