Flier for Monday & Tuesday

  • Charles Rachlis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2009
      Support
      Richmond Teachers
      Education
      is a Human Right
      The
      West Contra Costa Unified School District School Board has imposed changes to
      working conditions for certificated and classified staff. They have imposed
      furloughs to Local 1, (Local 1 rejected in a TA) and school administrators,
      fired 125 certificated staff, and 70 classified staff. The school board also
      closed three schools. In an email regarding school closures Antonio Medrano,
      (WCCUSD) school board member said, “The school, the students, and noise will
      be gone, (also litter, traffic, etc). I would think that you and your
      neighbors would like not having a school in your neighborhood. We are facing
      massive cuts to public education in our State and we need to present a
      balanced budget to the State by the end of June.”
      Impositions
      in our working conditions means cuts in social programs, class size ratios
      that increase class sizes to 40+ students in elementary and secondary classes,
      furloughs, elimination of Kindergarten teachers preparation time,
      non-instructional funding (especially paying for consultants) , and
      elimination of health benefits for dependents. Our own WCCUSD President and
      kindergarten teacher Audrey Miles voted to increase K-3 class size.

      We
      know that teachers working conditions are your students learning conditions.
      Education is Human Right. The WCCUSD continue to use budget cuts against the
      working class. Join Rank-and-File teachers, speak out and unite in solidarity
      with our supporters; UC Berkeley Student Worker Action Team (S.W.A.T), and
      union members from the labor community to fight back against these attacks and
      to make public education a priority!
      Demands:
      ·
      Restore
      Kindergarten teachers’ preparation time
      ·
      Restore
      class size maximums 4-12
      ·
      Restore
      20:1 K-3
      ·
      No
      Furloughs
      ·
      Health
      benefits for families and dependents
      What
      you can do:
      ·
      Distribute
      our flier to other UTR members, parents, and
      community
      ·
      Attend
      WCCUSD school board meetings in support Richmond
      Teachers
      ·
      Attend
      UTR rep council meetings and speak out
      ·
      Join
      demonstrations and picket lines in support of public
      education
      Contact:
      Progressive Teachers @ 510
      501-7347