West Contra Costa schools still falling short of state goals

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2009
      West Contra Costa schools still falling short of state goals By Shelly Meron
      Contra Costa Times<smeron@...?subject=ContraCostaTimes.com:
      West Contra Costa
      schools still falling short of state goals>
      Updated: 09/15/2009 10:48:25 AM PDT

      The West Contra Costa school district saw test scores rise last school
      year but is still shy of the state goal, according to a report released
      today by the California Department of Education.

      The district's Academic Performance Index reached 690 in 2008-09, up 6
      points from the year before.

      "We've continuously had slow and steady growth districtwide," said Nia
      Rashidchi, assistant superintendent of education services. "Although our
      teachers are working hard daily to support the growth of our students, we
      also know we have a lot of work to do."

      The API is a single score between 200 and 1,000 for each school and school
      district based on the results of statewide testing. The statewide target is
      800.

      The district saw the sharpest drop among students with disabilities,
      decreasing 9 points, and Pacific islander students, 6 points. But
      English-learners saw their scores jump 13 points, while Filipino students'
      score climbed by 11. Asian, Latino, socio-economically disadvantaged
      students and African-American students all saw small increases, while white
      students' scores held steady.

      Here is the link to the entire article:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_13341377