Richmond City Budget and Non-Closure Payment

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
      In order to keep 3 "Richmond" schools open, the city of Richmond
      agreed to pay 1.5M per year. I believe November is the first pay-up.
      Meanwhile, the public budget crisis continues. The Richmond City
      Council had a budget-cutting meeting last night, but I didn't see any
      mention of this item being cut.

      http://www.contracostatimes.com/richmond/ci_13299301
      OR
      http://bit.ly/Nw7VR

      So, can anyone confirm that the City of Richmond is still on track to
      pay up in November.

      Charley Cowens
      http://www.twitter.com/ccowens
    • c slamon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
        I think the city of Richmond committed 1.5 million only, not 1.5 million per
        year. As I understood this vote, the Richmond schools were on the closure
        list in the second year of the plan and they committed 500,000 per school
        for the 1.5 million total. I don't know when the first payment is due. I
        remember that Tom Butt abstained from this vote due to a potential conflict
        of interest (his architect firm does business with the district) and Nat
        Bates voted against it because of the potential of having to use reserve
        funds to pay for it. They specifically worded their vote to include the use
        of reserve funds if necessary. It now looks like Nat Bates warning was
        right on target and they may have to do just that.

        On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...>wrote:

        > In order to keep 3 "Richmond" schools open, the city of Richmond
        > agreed to pay 1.5M per year. I believe November is the first pay-up.
        > Meanwhile, the public budget crisis continues. The Richmond City
        > Council had a budget-cutting meeting last night, but I didn't see any
        > mention of this item being cut.
        >
        > http://www.contracostatimes.com/richmond/ci_13299301
        > OR
        > http://bit.ly/Nw7VR
        >
        > So, can anyone confirm that the City of Richmond is still on track to
        > pay up in November.
        >
        > Charley Cowens
        > http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

      • fdkunaniec
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
          The Richmond payment is for one year only because the three Richmond schools were scheduled for closure in year #2. If they were on the year #1 list, then two years payment would be due. WCCUSD asked to have the payment this November so that plans for schools closures can move forward if the money is not available.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2009
            I dug up the agenda item for Richmond and the adopted WCCUSD Board
            resolution and posted them on:

            http://drop.io/8ftz6dy/

            Obviously, the key document to dig up is the MOU signed with the city
            of Richmond to confirm the details, but from looking at these docs
            it's clear that on the WCCUSD side $1.5M/year keeps these schools open
            year-by-year starting next fiscal year and the city is contemplating a
            "3-5 year" commitment based on some financial maneuverings. I don't
            know how they came up with 1.5M when it should be 1.4M (800K + (2 *
            300K)).

            Meanwhile, don't forget the County Office of Ed. in its conditional
            approval (uploaded with the other docs) of the WCCUSD budget for this
            year states:

            "Should the cities be unable to provide the funding indicated in the
            assumptions by November 2009, it will be necessary to implement the
            school closures iterated in the Board's School Closure Resolution."