Re: Any Reverberations Here from Controversy over Obama Speech to Students?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2009
      Charley,
      Thank you for sharing the links. I had not even read about this until you posted it. The following link is the "Prepared Remarks of President Barack Obama
      Back to School Event

      Arlington, Virginia
      September 8, 2009"
      http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

      I work at a school and I don't know if it will be showed nor have I heard of any controversy over this. I will ask my son if his school does anything as I have not read anything on their WEB site about the speach either.

      Jill Wolkenfeld

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c_cowens" <c_cowens@...> wrote:

      > I forgot to include links to 2 CC Times stories on this thing locally:
      >
      > http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_13271724
      > http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_13263981
      >
      > Charley Cowens
      >
      > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm curious if any of the hullabaloo over Obama's speech to grade
      > > school kids has reverberated at all in WCCUSD. Obviously, this is a
      > > more Obama-friendly area than some other parts of the country, but
      > > there are people here who might be receptive to this message (to get
      > > worked up about it). Have any teachers here who were planning on
      > > participating in this had parents demanding to opt out? Any official
      > > message from downtown about this?
      > >
      > > Charley Cowens
      > > http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

    • bedwellr
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
        Nobody said a word about it at Kennedy HS. As far as I know, it was not shown in any classes. I hope I can get a copy of it to show to my classes. JFK kids need to hear that message, soon and often.

      • cbt@triplering.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
          I work at an elementary school in the district where teachers were told to
          use their own judgment. I happened to be with a sixth grade class whose
          teacher chose to have them watch. The kids were absolutely silent during
          the speech and spontaneously applauded at the end.
          Cathy

          > Nobody said a word about it at Kennedy HS. As far as I know, it was not
          > shown in any classes. I hope I can get a copy of it to show to my classes.
          > JFK kids need to hear that message, soon and often.
          >
          > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm curious if any of the hullabaloo over Obama's speech to grade
          >> school kids has reverberated at all in WCCUSD. Obviously, this is a
          >> more Obama-friendly area than some other parts of the country, but
          >> there are people here who might be receptive to this message (to get
          >> worked up about it). Have any teachers here who were planning on
          >> participating in this had parents demanding to opt out? Any official
          >> message from downtown about this?
          >>
          >> Charley Cowens
          >> http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

        • c slamon
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
            my daughter did not see it at Portola either. I tried to get her to watch
            it but she said, why should I, I'm already an A student and I plan to stay
            in school, it's like nagging me about doing something I already plan to do.
            In todays paper there is a cartoon of 3 kids , the first kid says, "My
            conservative parents FORBID ME to watch the president's speech to public
            school students. The second kid says "You know what that means?" and the
            third kid replies "Makes us want to see it even more!" That's when I
            realized my problem, I should have used reverse psychology and told her to
            not to watch it, too funny.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2009
              You should be able to watch it at this link
              http://www.whitehouse.gov/video/President-Obamas-Message-for-Americas-Students/

              I don't know if anyone showed it at the school I work at. I have not had time to watch it, but am interested in doing so and found the above link.

              My son is in High School and he did not see it or even know about.

              I will ask him to watch it and see what his response is...

              Jill Wolkenfeld