Our Neighbors: El Cerrito rec needs scholarship support for young people

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009
      Our Neighbors: El Cerrito rec needs scholarship support for young peopleBy
      Chris Treadway
      Contra Costa Times<ctreadway@...?subject=ContraCostaTimes.com:%20Our%20Neighbors:%20El%20Cerrito%20rec%20needs%20scholarship%20support%20for%20young%20people>

      El Cerrito's Recreation Department hosts a variety of programs year-round
      for young people, over the summer and during and after school. These include
      extended care after-school camps at local elementary schools, an
      after-school homework and activity program at Portola Middle School and a
      new program at Portola offering noontime activities.

      The department provides scholarships for families that can't afford the
      offerings, and the scholarships, in turn, are made possible by community
      fundraisers, such as the recent liquidation sale at the Tradeway Furniture
      warehouse.

      Tradeway, a sponsor of the event since its inception, was lost as a backer
      when the city bought the warehouse and the business closed. But last week's
      sale brought in about $4,000 for the David Hunter Memorial Youth Scholarship
      Fund.

      The year's biggest scholarship fundraiser is the annual Dynamo Open
      Scramble, taking place Sept. 14 at Mira Vista Country Club.

      The 2008 tournament attracted more than 100 players and raised more than
      $8,000, which goes to the scholarship fund and the city's Open House Senior
      Center.

      But as the economy remains tight, player sign-ups and sponsorships for the
      13th annual tournament have not been up to past years.

      "Without this support, many programs that benefit seniors and children in El
      Cerrito would not be possible," said city Recreation Director Monica Kortz.
      "The economy being what it is right now, people are asking for lots of
      scholarships to be able to participate in many of our programs. This is the
      fund we draw from, whether for young or old."

      Spots are still available for the scramble, which is open to all levels of
      play. The entry fee is $135, which includes a tournament shirt, gift, lunch,
      snacks and golf cart, as well as prizes for the winners. Players should sign
      up no later than Sept. 10.

      To register or get more details, go to the Recreation Department office at
      the Community Center, 7007 Moeser Lane in El Cerrito, or call 510-559-7005.

      Here is the link to the entire article:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/columns/ci_13241093