Re: [wccusdtalk] Renewal of Superintendent Contract

    Message 1 of 56 , Sep 26 7:55 AM
      Kevin you forgot to say and to pay for the multitude of literacy counselors that this district hires even though the current teacher staff has had a minimum of 40 hours training. Our teachers are professionals, they don't need consultants telling them what to do and costing this district a ton of money to boot!
      Tammy

      Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:
      Charley,

      Please excuse, no check that, there is no excuse for what was an attack on
      your idea of a public airing of the Superintendent's new contract. That was
      uncalled for and I am sorry. The frustration level this year is superceded
      and added upon by the seemingly callous attitude by this Board and
      Administration and I should not be taking it out by attacking those of us
      who are just trying to make sense of a power structure that seems to have
      gone wild.

      I truly apologize.

      I just got home from Richmond High, Back to School Night, which was capped
      by sitting in my daughters 6th period Chemistry Class that now has 41
      students in a room designed for a maximum of 28. There are not enough books
      for the class so the kids can't take home their chemistry books. There are
      not enough books for my daughters Algebra 2 class to be taken home.

      But there is enough money to continue to give the top administrator raises,
      enough money to hire new academic administrators and building
      administrators.

      Charlie I am just plain pissed.

      I am going to try and get some sleep now and the next time you see me bring
      a wet noodle and I will take my 20 lashes, I deserve it.

      Kevin

      PS: By the way that was a good zinger you gave me about waving the copies of
      the e-mails in front of the board, the visual of that and the thought of
      what a waste of paper and time was precious. Thank you, you gave me a good
      laugh at myself.

      Message 56 of 56 , Nov 3, 2003
        Touch�, Tammy.

        Millions of dollars over the years have paid for district consultants and
        then when you ask for the information that has been paid for over and over
        again you get stonewalled. But that is how this community likes it. They
        take it in the shorts and smile and continue to give money to this corrupt
        bureaucracy. I do mean corrupt. There are many ways of corruption and when
        the students of this school district are used to get over $250,000,000 a
        year in just general fund monies, to continue an educational program that
        continuously graduates over 70% of the students in a non proficient status
        that to me is a definition of corruption.

        Think about the private company you are working for. If over 70% of the
        product was non proficient or not up to minimum standards how long would
        that company be in business. Yet this community accepts that kind of product
        from this district and continually supports it by giving more money.

        Incredible.

        Kevin

> [...]
        >Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 06:58:48 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >Francie,
        >If I have to I will do the work with the little time I have, but we need to
        >ask this question. This district spends thousands upon thousands of
        >dollars for the SASI system which keeps track of every student at every
        >school in this district. As a database administrator and IT person, I find
        >it hard to believe that we cannot easily extract this information from the
        >system. This leads to another question, if we can't extract this
        >information than why are we paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for
        >a system that does not give us the basic statistical needs to track trends.
        > Just a thought.
        >Tammy
        >
        >Francie <fdkunaniec@...> wrote:
        >Tammy-
        >Since you've been waiting so long for the enrollment stats, it's
        >probably time to create your own chart (or maybe find a volunteer on
        >the list to compile the numbers).
        >
        >You can access all of the numbers on the Internet. I've never looked
        >for grade level breakdowns but just found them on DataQuest, a
        >terrific site for CA educational statistics:
        >http://data1.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/
        >Subject: Enrollment and Level: District
        >Select year (from '93-'94 thru last year)
        >Select district
        >Select Enrollment by grade
        >
        >The numbers for this year haven't been posted yet - it's still too
        >early. We're still enrolling and dropping students just about every
        >day. Some of those who are leaving are heading toward Fairfield &
        >Vacaville. It's just anecdotal evidence but I agree with those on the
        >list who've said that people are being priced out of the area or are
        >getting jobs wherever they can.
        >
        >For those on the list who are learning about educational bureaucracy,
        >the schools take a detailed count of their students and faculty
        >October 1st of each year and report it to the state Dept. of
        >Education. These reports are called the CBEDS (California Basic
        >Educational Data System). The CBEDS determine some categorical funding
        >(i.e. when the state gives me library money, it's on a per student
        >basis, based upon how many students were reported on the CBEDS - or
        >how many students were at Adams on Oct 1st).
        >
        >A really terrific website for seeing school-related information is:
        >www.greatschools.net
        >
        >You'll be able to see enrollment, testing information and teacher
        >qualifications for district schools. The site easily links from one
        >year to another and explains what information means and where it came
        >from. I've found it to be updated pretty quickly.
        >
        >Francie Kunaniec
        >Library Media Teacher, Adams Middle
        >
        >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
        ><tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
        > > Everyone,
        > > Just to let you know that I am still waiting on the population
        >counts at each school per grade for the last three years.

        Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
        its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
        http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es