What goes on behind closed doors....

  • Jim Cowen
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 26, 2009
      The reference was "It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors".
      This suggests that somehow the board is hiding something and acting unseemly.
      Cathy tried to point out that there is nothing at all unseemly about a "closed session". In fact, the law allows for it, and even requires it in many cases.  For example, the board will report in public session that they expelled 3 students, but no names and no details.  The names and details are discussed in closed session.
      Similarly, when they have to discipline a bad teacher, they do not discuss it in public; they do that in closed session.  And, when they have to negotiate on things like real estate transactions, litigation, and labor issues, they MUST do it in closed session. Think it through and you will realize that it simply cant work in public session.

      So, you can like the board; you can hate the board. But don't lambast them for closed door sessions, because it only shows one's ignorance of how public agencies must operate.

      Jim Cowen

      From: cbt@triplering. net <cbt@triplering. net>
      To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 7:41 AM

      Discussions around contract negotiations are always behind closed doors.
      The unions don't do their discussions in public, either - nor should they.
      I think this is appropriate.

      I work at an elementary school that currently has a number of "overflow"
      students. Our principal is scrambling to figure out how to deal with it;
      hopefully the Portola principal is also. I'm curious if this is happening
      at the other schools, too.

      Cathy

      > They are packing them in at Portola Middle School.  It can't be much
      > better around the district.   My child reported back to me that classes
      > were overflowing. Some classes had up to 44 students.   Even back during
      > WW2 class size did not rise to this level.
      > This is not a formula for education.  This is a formula to warehouse our
      > children for the years our school board intends to fail them.  Not
      > necessarily with bad grades but with inadequate educational opportunities.
      >   If anyone in education thinks that a class room jam packed with 40+
      > hormonally changing children is a formula for education, I have a bridge
      > you can buy in Brooklyn.  What the school board has done is create a
      > pre-school for prison not a preparation for the "leaders of tomorrow".
      > It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors tonight.
      >  If I was one of them I would hide also.
      > Over 50 years ago Brown vs Board of Education taught us that separate but
      > equal is not equal.  Today we have schools in the shadow of Chevron
      > serving poor and working class youth with over crowed classes and a few
      > miles away in other wealthier districts there are normal size classes.
      >  How is this equal opportunity in education.  We now have the results of
      > new segregation.
      > How many will graduate from WCCUSD and go to prison vs higher education
      > and decent jobs?  Who among the school board in hiding can come out with
      > those numbers?
      > Charles Rachlis

    • Charles Rachlis
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 26, 2009
        I have been informed by Cathy (see post below) that the principles are scrambling to make the class sizes reasonable.  I hope this is so because after talking to two middle school students who reported  to me that all the classes they attended were full and overflowing.  Some classes had up to 55 students others were in the high 40's.  There were not enough chairs and desks for all the students.  Some students sit on the floor until chairs are found, but desks were not provided to go with the extra chairs.  One student was reported to sit at the teachers desk.  Others sat  on a counter.  These students at the counter had to twist to write things down.  Improper seating, lack of a desk and forcing children to twist and bend to write is an ergonomic hazard.  Children's bodies are still developing and poor posture due to lack or chairs and desks may lead to orthopedic damage to our children.  I suppose the school board is socking away funds for
        the lawsuits that will follow.
        Now ergonomics is not the only issue.
        Students report that when the teacher wants to quiet the room a task that should take 10 seconds or less now take over 40 seconds.   It is hard to hear the teachers over the background din of noise.  Following the class lesson and getting one on one time is harder. Students have been placed in classes that are inappropriate for their ability level.  Cathy says the principles are fixing this but the question is if all the classes are full how will you get the class size down to a reasonable size?  Are you expecting to drive some 30% of the parents and families out of the district?
        Advanced educational theory tells us 20 children to the class room is the ideal for quality education.
        Talk to your kids its amazing what they will tell you.   WCCUSD is not meeting its obligation to the community.
        Time for the school board to come out of hiding and get this cleaned up they are sitting on a powder keg.

        Charles Rachlis

        Discussions around contract negotiations are always behind closed doors.

        The unions don't do their discussions in public, either - nor should they.

        I think this is appropriate.

        I work at an elementary school that currently has a number of "overflow"

        students. Our principal is scrambling to figure out how to deal with it;

        hopefully the Portola principal is also. I'm curious if this is happening

        at the other schools, too.

        Cathy

        > They are packing them in at Portola Middle School.  It can't be much

        > better around the district.   My child reported back to me that classes

        > were overflowing. Some classes had up to 44 students.   Even back during

        > WW2 class size did not rise to this level.

        > This is not a formula for education.  This is a formula to warehouse our

        > children for the years our school board intends to fail them.  Not

        > necessarily with bad grades but with inadequate educational opportunities.

        >   If anyone in education thinks that a class room jam packed with 40+

        > hormonally changing children is a formula for education, I have a bridge

        > you can buy in Brooklyn.  What the school board has done is create a

        > pre-school for prison not a preparation for the "leaders of tomorrow".

        > It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors tonight.

        >  If I was one of them I would hide also.

        > Over 50 years ago Brown vs Board of Education taught us that separate but

        > equal is not equal.  Today we have schools in the shadow of Chevron

        > serving poor and working class youth with over crowed classes and a few

        > miles away in other wealthier districts there are normal size classes.

        >  How is this equal opportunity in education.  We now have the results of

        > new segregation.

        > How many will graduate from WCCUSD and go to prison vs higher education

        > and decent jobs?  Who among the school board in hiding can come out with

        > those numbers?

        > Charles Rachlis

      • Charles Rachlis
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 26, 2009
          Open the discussions to the public.  We already know what kind of union busters they are there can't be much they have to hide.  We already know that their program is to destroy public education and bust the union.  Open the doors for full transparency.
          Charles Rachlis

          From: cbt@triplering. net <cbt@triplering. net>

          To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

          Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 7:41 AM

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 26, 2009
            First File Your Complaint to document it. You can use the Williams Complaint form: Copy and paste link to download the form.

            http://www.decentschools.org/settlement/Williams_Complaint_Form_August_2_2005.pdf

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 26, 2009

              The reference "It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors", refers to closed doors to contract negotiations, not the instances you listed below.  Cathy was quite clear about which meetings she had in mind.  The instances you brought forth (expulsions, disciplinary actions) were good examples of necessary closed sessions because they concern individuals, but they shed no light on the need to have closed sessions for contract negotiations.

              "And, when they have to negotiate on things like real estate
              transactions, litigation, and labor issues, they MUST do it in closed
              session." (Why???? You give no rational!)   Maybe you would like to connect the dots for me.

              While people clamor for more transparency and accountability, how can
              we say discussions are appropriate behind closed doors?  How different
              do you think these discussions would be if they were done in public?
              Would they be more civil, more productive, more humane?   How different would our society be if everything that affected large
              groups of people could be heard by the people who were affected by them?

              Eduardo Martinez

              From: Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@yahoo. com>

              To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

              Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 3:33 PM

              While people clamor for more transparency and accountability, how can we say discussions are appropriate behind closed doors?  How different do you think these discussions would be if they were done in public?  Would they be more civil, more productive, more humane?  How different would our society be if everything that affected large groups of people were allowed to hear the conversations that lead to the decisions made?

              From: cbt@triplering. net <cbt@triplering. net>

              To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

              Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 7:41 AM

              Discussions around contract negotiations are always behind closed doors.

              The unions don't do their discussions in public, either - nor should they.

              I think this is appropriate.

              I work at an elementary school that currently has a number of "overflow"

              students. Our principal is scrambling to figure out how to deal with it;

              hopefully the Portola principal is also. I'm curious if this is happening

              at the other schools, too.

              Cathy

              > They are packing them in at Portola Middle School.  It can't be much

              > better around the district.   My child reported back to me that classes

              > were overflowing. Some classes had up to 44 students.   Even back during

              > WW2 class size did not rise to this level.

              > This is not a formula for education.  This is a formula to warehouse our

              > children for the years our school board intends to fail them.  Not

              > necessarily with bad grades but with inadequate educational opportunities.

              >   If anyone in education thinks that a class room jam packed with 40+

              > hormonally changing children is a formula for education, I have a bridge

              > you can buy in Brooklyn.  What the school board has done is create a

              > pre-school for prison not a preparation for the "leaders of tomorrow".

              > It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors tonight.

              >  If I was one of them I would hide also.

              > Over 50 years ago Brown vs Board of Education taught us that separate but

              > equal is not equal.  Today we have schools in the shadow of Chevron

              > serving poor and working class youth with over crowed classes and a few

              > miles away in other wealthier districts there are normal size classes.

              >  How is this equal opportunity in education.  We now have the results of

              > new segregation.

              > How many will graduate from WCCUSD and go to prison vs higher education

              > and decent jobs?  Who among the school board in hiding can come out with

              > those numbers?

              > Charles Rachlis

            • Charles Rachlis
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                Preparation for labor negotiations in the public lets the public say how they would like the negotiations to go.  The school board does not want to hear the public on this issue they only represent the ruling elite and for that reason alone they hide behind closed doors.  If they listened to the public they would not have voted to close schools in the first place.  The school board is a charade of democracy.  In reality they do the bidding of the governor and his trustee.

                From: Jim Cowen <jimcowen@yahoo. com>

                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

                From: Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@ yahoo. com>

                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

                Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 3:33 PM

                From: cbt@triplering. net <cbt@triplering. net>

                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com

                Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 7:41 AM

                Discussions around contract negotiations are always behind closed doors.

                The unions don't do their discussions in public, either - nor should they.

                I think this is appropriate.

                I work at an elementary school that currently has a number of "overflow"

                students. Our principal is scrambling to figure out how to deal with it;

                hopefully the Portola principal is also. I'm curious if this is happening

                at the other schools, too.

                Cathy

                > They are packing them in at Portola Middle School.  It can't be much

                > better around the district.   My child reported back to me that classes

                > were overflowing. Some classes had up to 44 students.   Even back during

                > WW2 class size did not rise to this level.

                > This is not a formula for education.  This is a formula to warehouse our

                > children for the years our school board intends to fail them.  Not

                > necessarily with bad grades but with inadequate educational opportunities.

                >   If anyone in education thinks that a class room jam packed with 40+

                > hormonally changing children is a formula for education, I have a bridge

                > you can buy in Brooklyn.  What the school board has done is create a

                > pre-school for prison not a preparation for the "leaders of tomorrow".

                > It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors tonight.

                >  If I was one of them I would hide also.

                > Over 50 years ago Brown vs Board of Education taught us that separate but

                > equal is not equal.  Today we have schools in the shadow of Chevron

                > serving poor and working class youth with over crowed classes and a few

                > miles away in other wealthier districts there are normal size classes.

                >  How is this equal opportunity in education.  We now have the results of

                > new segregation.

                > How many will graduate from WCCUSD and go to prison vs higher education

                > and decent jobs?  Who among the school board in hiding can come out with

                > those numbers?

                > Charles Rachlis

              • rogerf85
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                  Maybe the unions should request that such meetings take place in public sessions.

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...> wrote:

                  > The reference "It is no wonder the school board is meeting behind closed doors", refers to closed doors to contract negotiations, not the instances you listed below.  Cathy was quite clear about which meetings she had in mind.  The instances you brought forth (expulsions, disciplinary actions) were good examples of necessary closed sessions because they concern individuals, but they shed no light on the need to have closed sessions for contract negotiations.
                  >
                  > "And, when they have to negotiate on things like real estate
                  > transactions, litigation, and labor issues, they MUST do it in closed
                  > session." (Why???? You give no rational!)   Maybe you would like to connect the dots for me.
                  >
                  > While people clamor for more transparency and accountability, how can
                  > we say discussions are appropriate behind closed doors?  How different
                  > do you think these discussions would be if they were done in public?
                  > Would they be more civil, more productive, more humane?   How different would our society be if everything that affected large
                  > groups of people could be heard by the people who were affected by them?
                  >

                  > Eduardo Martinez

                • Charles Rachlis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                    I am not a union but a parent and I request that these negotiation preparation meetings be held under public scrutiny so we can see the role the board members play.  Are these so called liberal "friends-of-labor"  y  "voz del pueblo" truly representatives of the working class or are they posers doing the bidding of the ruling class, Chevron, Citibank, JP Morgan and the like who want to destroy public education?  Come out, come out who ever you are!

                  • cbt@triplering.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                      Since contract negotiations involve 2 parties, would the UTR leadership
                      also hold their discussions in public, or at least in front of their
                      members? I think there's a need for both parties involved in negotiations
                      to have private conversations and discussions.

                      Cathy

                    • reducingandreusing
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                        The overcrowding is a direct result of school closures.

                        The question for the board is: How much money did the district save by closing schools vs. how much is it going to cost the district by having over-crowded schools?

                        "Cost" can be measured quantitatively (for example, lost ADA money when students leave the district), as well as qualitatively. I think it's fair to say that all of the students in a classroom of 40+ students will receive a sub-standard education.

                      • Charles Rachlis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                          Has the fire department  been noticed that the class rooms may be used beyond their maximum.  Do we need more air changes per hour when we double the number of students in a rooms.  Has the school board reviewed the educational theory and literature on how to best teach classes of 11-15 yr olds with 40-50 students in them.   If they have reviewed the literature please post it so we can all understand how you intend to do what most educational experts claim is impossible.  The school board better get hopping because this school year is a nightmare already and this is only the third day.

                        • cristinegn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                            If the fire dept. gets enough complaints (written or phone), they will come out and inspect and possibly shut down sites in violation until it is remedied and proven to be remedied and ongoing inspections would then ensue. Without complaints however, it probably would go unnoticed by the fire dept since it's a relatively low priority for them.

                          • cbt@triplering.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                              Has anyone actually talked to the principal to find out what's being done?
                              Cathy

                            • cristinegn@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 27, 2009
                                it's not up to the principal--it's up to the district! Counselors are still changing student schedules as many are still not in the right classes (some kids have 3 English classes or 3 math classes, for example). Once these changes are made, some of the class sizes should be reduced to at least a lower average.