Cupertino, Sunnyvale districts reject suggestion from governor to cut school year

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2009
      Cupertino, Sunnyvale districts reject suggestion from governor to cut
      school year

      By Mayra Flores De Marcotte

      Bay Area News Group

      As the 2009-10 school year kicks off this month, neighborhood children
      won't notice any changes in their classroom size or the number of days
      school is in session.

      In Cupertino Union, Fremont Union High, Sunnyvale and Union school
      districts, class size and the school year will stay the same despite Gov.
      Arnold Schwarzenegger's push for districts to make such cuts as part of his
      plan to balance the state budget.

      Jeremy Nishiara, spokesman for Cupertion Union, which starts Aug. 20, said
      the district has been able to avoid making the state-recommended cuts by
      using stimulus funds and parcel tax money, making reductions in its central
      office and freezing expenditures.

      According to Sunnyvale superintendent Benjamin Picard, class sizes should
      "remain relatively the same." Not all districts have been able to avoid the
      cuts. The San Jose Unified School District has had to raise its class size
      for K-2 from 20 students to 30 per teacher.

      here is the link to the entire article:
      http://www.mercurynews.com/community/ci_13191060?source=rss

    • cbt@triplering.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2009
        Part of the problem with cutting the days in the school year is that, at
        this point at least, the required number of instructional minutes hasn't
        changed. Less days would mean longer days and that doesn't seem to be a
        popular idea with anyone.
        Cathy

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2009
          The instructional minutes is not a factor in deciding to go to 175
          from 180. When I called the CDE, they said that there would be no need
          to increase the school day to take advantage of "the special offer".
          Even if there were a need to increase the day it wouldn't be more than
          10 minutes at the most.

          As it stands there are 6 potential non-instructional furlough days (at
          least for teachers) and 5 potential instructional furlough days in a
          year. We've just used up a few non-instructional days. The projected
          (temporary pay-cut) savings for a full furlough day is 790-800K.

          Charley Cowens
          http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25, 2009
            CDE is the California Department of Education.