Re: Is there music/band program in elementary school next year

  • Francie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
      Hi, Chris -

      When HR figures out how much one teacher costs, there are "fixed charges" in addition to the salary and health benefits. The district also has to set aside money for stuff like subs when the teacher is out (because the teacher gets paid AND the sub gets paid), workers comp payments, state unemployment insurance and money for retiree benefits. The figure you got from Dr. Harter looks right when you add it all together. Plus, they budget for someone who is high on the salary chart because you don't know if you are going to hire someone with lots of degrees and years or a new teacher.

      Francie

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, c slamon <cslamon@...> wrote:

      > Tammy,
      > Here is the answer I received from Dr. Harter on May 13, 2009, when I
      > inquired about doing a fundraiser to save elementary music.

      What
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2009
        It has been 3 years since my son was in the elementary school program, but I recall he went twice a week for 1 hour. When the band teacher was absent the class was just canceled. There never was a substitute hired.

        Perhaps things have changed in the last 3 yearsÂ…

        Jill Wolkenfeld

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Francie" <fdkunaniec@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Chris -
        >
        > When HR figures out how much one teacher costs, there are "fixed charges" in addition to the salary and health benefits. The district also has to set aside money for stuff like subs when the teacher is out (because the teacher gets paid AND the sub gets paid), workers comp payments, state unemployment insurance and money for retiree benefits. The figure you got from Dr. Harter looks right when you add it all together. Plus, they budget for someone who is high on the salary chart because you don't know if you are going to hire someone with lots of degrees and years or a new teacher.
        >
        > Francie
        >
        > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, c slamon <cslamon@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Tammy,
        > > Here is the answer I received from Dr. Harter on May 13, 2009, when I
        > > inquired about doing a fundraiser to save elementary music.
        > >
        > What
        > > doesn't compute for me is that I thought I remembered reading that we were
        > > loosing 9 full time music teachers. There is no way that our 9 least senior
        > > music teachers are making 730,000 dollars in salary and benefits, so as
        > > someone who sits on the budget advisory committeee maybe you can help me
        > > figure this out. thanks

      • Ralph Bedwell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2009
          Most of the music teachers have a lot of seniority, which puts them near the upper end of the salary scale.

          Ralph