Re: Judge halts teachers' strike, and other non wccusd specific postings.

  • Ralph Bedwell
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2009
      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Jim Cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

      > Well, I've had enough.  I prefer this list to be wccusd specific.
      There are plenty of general education lists out there.
      > For others who like these posts, great. For others who are also tired
      of them, you can do like I just did. Add a filter for emails with the
      FROM containing the name, and ACTION move to trash.
      > Jim Cowen

      prohibiting the city's teachers union from staging a one-day strike
      Friday.
      > L.A. schools Supt. Ramon C. Cortines said he was "elated" regarding
      the decision by Judge James C. Chalfant, which was issued moments ago.
      > "I'm hoping that this will provide the opportunity for the bargaining
      unit and the school district to sit down and try to work out some of
      the issues," said Cortines, "and to deal with the economic situation
      we find ourselves in, which is not going away this year, next year or
      the year beyond."
      > In its pleadings, the Los Angeles Unified School District cited
      student safety concerns as well as disruptions to state and advance
      placement testing.
      > United Teachers Los Angeles scheduled the strike to protest looming
      teacher layoffs that would disrupt faculties and lead to larger classes.
      > -- Howard Blume

    • Charles Rachlis
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2009
        Thanks to Anne Palmer for the great idea of intra district organizing.  Obviously intra distict organizing could lead to joint actions across the Bay Area (if we hook up with Diablo Valley).  I made calls to other districts where the TV news reported School Board meetings similar to ours during the height of the closure issue.  The tricky thing is trying to find the ad-hoc organizers in these other communities is very difficult.
        The only constant in these districts is the unions.  When I finally got to the union organizers in the various districts they refer me back to the United Teachers of Richmond and say they are communicating with other CTA locals through the CTA itself.   Due to the atomized nature of the parents and students the most organized structures in the WCCSD  are our local unions the UTR and Local 1.
        Labor must lead the struggle to save education! that said labor can not do it themselves. But if labor took the lead and used their structure, organizers and allies to build mass community meetings on a local, district wide and state wide basis they would attract the type of parent and student support needed to defy the Judges who will write injunctions against all types of strike actions as was done in LAUSD.   The Judges will not be able to stop a unified labor movement with injunctions if the unions would use their real power at the point of production (strikes, walkouts, occupations) instead of depending on these very same courts to protect their contracts (e.g.. increase class size)  and our eduction (e.g. prop 98).
        So in closing if anyone knows the organizers at Diablo Valley we should consider an all East Bay Save our Schools conference called by the unions the parents, and students.
        Charles Rachlis