Re: Judge halts teachers' strike, and other non wccusd specific postings.

  • reducingandreusing
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2009
      Granted, everything and everyone in the world is connected to some degree to everything and everyone else.

      But, Jim is not suggesting that we live in a bubble. You have to assume that anyone who reads/participates in this forum cares about public education.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charles Rachlis <crachlis@...> wrote:

      > Jim Cowen seems to think we live in a bubble. WCCUSD is not alone in the world.  We are in the middle of the worst crisis of capitalism since the great depression.  Since the school closure issue commenced in our district I have advocated statewide labor action up to and including massive unified strike action such as has happened in Martenique, Guadaloupe, France  earlier this year and occupations of job sites  (schools) as was carried out by the Republic Window and Door workers in Chicago.  These methods of class struggle are the only tools left to working people to preserve public education and the social safety net. To that end when the United Teachers of Los Angles voted for strike action (as limited as it is) we need to understand that their example will only be effective if taken up across the state and nation.  Without that information being distributed amongst our community the example will not have a chance to spread.   For that reason
      > and that reason alone it is imperative not to censor such information from this community discussion.
      >
      > Charles Rachlis

    • annpalmer8
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2009
        If I may provide a different perspective; rather than posting, what has been done to coordinate this between WCCUSD and Los Angeles. If I'm not wrong, is Diablo USD in this? They just laid off 400 teachers and other non-teaching positions right?

        I'm disgusted with what's happening in our country and state. And I didn't take Jim's message as recommending you be censored. We (WCCUSD) are in the same boat as many others. But I'm not encouraged by all the posts you're putting up. These posts are doing little for me in solving the crisis in my backyard. To be honest, it is really discouraging me and making me want to go to private school and vote down taxes to fund a public education system I no longer believe in, and is thinking of not being a part of.

        So if you choose to continue to enlighten us with these posts, I think you should know there are other reactions to your posts and those may not be the desired effects. I'd rather see some actions related to these posts - e.g., Los Angeles school district is going to meet with xyz from WCCUSD after judge halted their strike, in hopes of organizing a mass demonstration on Sacramento to demand that our schools be repaid what was passed in Prop 98 now. The goal would be to avert teacher layoffs and increases in class size.

        Just my thoughts.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2009
          different perspective; rather than posting, what has been done to
          coordinate this between WCCUSD and Los Angeles. If I'm not wrong, is
          Diablo USD in this? They just laid off 400 teachers and other
          non-teaching positions right?

          I'm disgusted with what's happening in our country and state. And I didn't take Jim's message as recommending you be censored.

          As wonderful as Jim is, what he says should not be whitewashed.  I can't think of a better way to say, "If you don't like what someone is saying, set your filters to automatically censor him".  It is one thing to do so on one's own, but another to advocate others to do so.  Personally I delete posts without reading them when the title does not seem to apply to my concerns, but I would never suggest that anyone single out a particular type of post or ones posted by a particular person because it did not fit my interest or sense of importance.

          > For others who like these posts, great. For others who are also
          tired of them, you can do like I just did. Add a filter for emails with
          the FROM containing the name, and ACTION move to trash.

          > Jim Cowen

          Unfortunately there is very little news that is positive and as long as we are satisfied with band aides to cover major amputations, things will continue to get worse as we slowly bleed ourselves to death.  There are no local solutions because the problem is not a local problem.  If it were we would not see it all over the nation.  Indeed we need to be constantly reminded of the scope of the problem before we can begin to comprehend what it will take to change the lack of educational concerns and priorities.

          I too get so discouraged that I think of no longer teaching, of looking for work in some other field, but my sense of commitment to my students and their families forces me to hang on, even when I feel I am fighting a losing battle.  I too would like to see some positive actions, but I fear we won't see them unless we make them ourselves.  We cannot do it alone. We must reach out to other districts and other unions, other families and other communities.  When we do we should come armed with as much information as possible; this includes the stories of what others have done, of the resistance they have met, of the reasons or lack of reasons different factions offer and of the hidden agendas carried by all of us, consciously or unconsciously.

          We cannot control the reactions people have to the reality we share, but that should not be a reason to not share it.  I hope that after your bout of disgust and discouragement, that better informed, you will join back in the struggle to make public education an institution we can all be proud of.

          Eduardo

> [...]

          > L.A. schools Supt. Ramon C. Cortines said he was "elated" regarding the decision by Judge James C. Chalfant, which was issued moments ago.

          > "I'm hoping that this will provide the opportunity for the bargaining unit and the school district to sit down and try to work out some of the issues," said Cortines, "and to deal with the economic situation we find ourselves in, which is not going away this year, next year or the year beyond."

          > In its pleadings, the Los Angeles Unified School District cited student safety concerns as well as disruptions to state and advance placement testing.

          > United Teachers Los Angeles scheduled the strike to protest looming teacher layoffs that would disrupt faculties and lead to larger classes.

        • Ralph Bedwell
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2009
            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Jim Cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

            > Well, I've had enough.  I prefer this list to be wccusd specific.
            There are plenty of general education lists out there.
            > For others who like these posts, great. For others who are also tired
            of them, you can do like I just did. Add a filter for emails with the
            FROM containing the name, and ACTION move to trash.
            > Jim Cowen

          • Charles Rachlis
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2009
              Thanks to Anne Palmer for the great idea of intra district organizing.  Obviously intra distict organizing could lead to joint actions across the Bay Area (if we hook up with Diablo Valley).  I made calls to other districts where the TV news reported School Board meetings similar to ours during the height of the closure issue.  The tricky thing is trying to find the ad-hoc organizers in these other communities is very difficult.
              The only constant in these districts is the unions.  When I finally got to the union organizers in the various districts they refer me back to the United Teachers of Richmond and say they are communicating with other CTA locals through the CTA itself.   Due to the atomized nature of the parents and students the most organized structures in the WCCSD  are our local unions the UTR and Local 1.
              Labor must lead the struggle to save education! that said labor can not do it themselves. But if labor took the lead and used their structure, organizers and allies to build mass community meetings on a local, district wide and state wide basis they would attract the type of parent and student support needed to defy the Judges who will write injunctions against all types of strike actions as was done in LAUSD.   The Judges will not be able to stop a unified labor movement with injunctions if the unions would use their real power at the point of production (strikes, walkouts, occupations) instead of depending on these very same courts to protect their contracts (e.g.. increase class size)  and our eduction (e.g. prop 98).
              So in closing if anyone knows the organizers at Diablo Valley we should consider an all East Bay Save our Schools conference called by the unions the parents, and students.
              Charles Rachlis