layoffs: 124 teachers in wccusd, 400 in Mt. Diablo

    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2009
      And in Mt. Diablo it's 413. Sad times for education. You can read
      Theresa Harrington's whole article from the Times here:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/top-stories/ci_12346002
      Cathy

      Nearly $20 million in stimulus money is unlikely to prevent the Mt.
      Diablo school district from sending final layoff notices to more than
      400 teachers.

      "We're happy to get the federal funds, of course," Interim
      Superintendent Dick Nicoll said Monday. "We just know it's not a panacea
      for the long-term funding gap in California public education."

      Trustees on Tuesday will consider sending final layoff notices to about
      413 teachers and librarians, 10 vice principals and two psychologists,
      based on the proposed decision of an administrative law judge who heard
      seniority and credential disputes last month. Because of state funding
      reductions, the district sent out more than 600 preliminary pink slips
      in March. Final notices will be mailed by Thursday.

      c slamon wrote:

      > Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124
      > teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this
      > vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only
      > parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1
      > other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be
      > devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us
      > all.
      >
      > christina slamon

    • Ralph Bedwell
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2009
        The decimation of education has been going on for many years now. People haven't been outraged up so far, so why should they start now? I've been working for this district for about ten years, and it seems like there have been cutbacks -- many times major cutbacks -- in most of those years.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2009
          --People have been outraged, that is why some march 70 miles to Sacramento and had the governator treat the students and adults like they were second class citizens. The problem is that not enough people have joined together and held mass protests against the state of education in California and across the country. The struggle has to start somewhere, we tried to provide a start by focusing on WCCUSD, we knew then as all know now, it was a matter of time before thing became much worst in WCCUSD.

          Scottie Smith

          -------------- Original message from "Ralph Bedwell" <bedwellr@...>: --------------