RE: [wccusdtalk] 124 teachers will be laid off - vote was 4 -1

  • Tony Sustak
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2009
      Eduardo,

      I agree.

      Margaret Browne

      _____

      From: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Eduardo Martinez
      Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:08 AM
      To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [wccusdtalk] 124 teachers will be laid off - vote was 4 -1

      What I got from the previous post is that education is being cut and cut and
      no one is being outraged. We are last in funding for education, we have one
      of the more diverse populations to serve, and we continue to make the job of
      teaching more difficult for the teachers that remain. There is nothing
      secret about how standards and expectations continue to rise at the same
      time that resources to accomplish these goals continue to be diverted to
      other "priories". I agree that it is sad that the public is accepting the
      decimation of education.

      Eduardo

      --- On Mon, 5/11/09, Jim Cowen <jimcowen@yahoo.
      From: Jim Cowen <jimcowen@yahoo. <mailto:jimcowen%40yahoo.com> com>
      To: wccusdtalk@yahoogro <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
      Date: Monday, May 11, 2009, 10:52 PM

      Taken out of context, the previous post may lead one to believe that thru a
      secret or poorly attended meeting the board rammed thru a layoff of an
      additional 124 teachers. And, of course, that is not the case.

      I'm not intending to defend the board; only to defend the truth (or at least
      clarity).

      We all know about the layoff notices that were sent out in March. A large
      number of teachers requested, as is their right, a hearing on the matter.
      The hearing resulted in a few changes in the seniority list, and even one
      teacher that was improperly notified was taken off the list. But,
      otherwise, it was simply a procedural matter. The hearing resulted in an
      administrative law order to the board to make the minor changes in the list,
      and then to proceed with the layoff's. And THAT is what the board did
      tonite.

      Jim Cowen

      Defender of Clarity.

      Date: Monday, May 11, 2009, 8:47 PM

      Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124

      teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this

      vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only

      parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1

      other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be

      devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us

      all.

      christina slamon

    • C. Andrew Walters
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2009
        Does anyone know how many non-teaching positions were eliminated?

        Andrew
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2009
          And in Mt. Diablo it's 413. Sad times for education. You can read
          Theresa Harrington's whole article from the Times here:
          http://www.contracostatimes.com/top-stories/ci_12346002
          Cathy

          Nearly $20 million in stimulus money is unlikely to prevent the Mt.
          Diablo school district from sending final layoff notices to more than
          400 teachers.

          "We're happy to get the federal funds, of course," Interim
          Superintendent Dick Nicoll said Monday. "We just know it's not a panacea
          for the long-term funding gap in California public education."

          Trustees on Tuesday will consider sending final layoff notices to about
          413 teachers and librarians, 10 vice principals and two psychologists,
          based on the proposed decision of an administrative law judge who heard
          seniority and credential disputes last month. Because of state funding
          reductions, the district sent out more than 600 preliminary pink slips
          in March. Final notices will be mailed by Thursday.

          c slamon wrote:

          > Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124
          > teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this
          > vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only
          > parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1
          > other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be
          > devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us
          > all.
          >
          > christina slamon

        • Ralph Bedwell
          Message 4 of 8 , May 16, 2009
            The decimation of education has been going on for many years now. People haven't been outraged up so far, so why should they start now? I've been working for this district for about ten years, and it seems like there have been cutbacks -- many times major cutbacks -- in most of those years.

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 8 , May 16, 2009
              --People have been outraged, that is why some march 70 miles to Sacramento and had the governator treat the students and adults like they were second class citizens. The problem is that not enough people have joined together and held mass protests against the state of education in California and across the country. The struggle has to start somewhere, we tried to provide a start by focusing on WCCUSD, we knew then as all know now, it was a matter of time before thing became much worst in WCCUSD.

              Scottie Smith

              -------------- Original message from "Ralph Bedwell" <bedwellr@...>: --------------