Re: [wccusdtalk] 124 teachers will be laid off - vote was 4 -1

    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2009
      What I got from the previous post is that education is being cut and cut and no one is being outraged.  We are last in funding for education, we have one of the more diverse populations to serve, and we continue to make the job of teaching more difficult for the teachers that remain.  There is nothing secret about how standards and expectations continue to rise at the same time that resources to accomplish these goals continue to be diverted to other "priories".  I agree that it is sad that the public is accepting the decimation of education.

      Eduardo

      From: c slamon <cslamon@gmail. com>

      To: "wccusdtalk" <wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com>

      Date: Monday, May 11, 2009, 8:47 PM

      Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124

      teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this

      vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only

      parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1

      other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be

      devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us

      all.

      christina slamon

    • Tony Sustak
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2009
        Eduardo,

        I agree.

        Margaret Browne

        _____

        --- On Mon, 5/11/09, Jim Cowen <jimcowen@yahoo.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2009
          Does anyone know how many non-teaching positions were eliminated?

          Andrew
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2009
            And in Mt. Diablo it's 413. Sad times for education. You can read
            Theresa Harrington's whole article from the Times here:
            http://www.contracostatimes.com/top-stories/ci_12346002
            Cathy

            Nearly $20 million in stimulus money is unlikely to prevent the Mt.
            Diablo school district from sending final layoff notices to more than
            400 teachers.

            "We're happy to get the federal funds, of course," Interim
            Superintendent Dick Nicoll said Monday. "We just know it's not a panacea
            for the long-term funding gap in California public education."

            Trustees on Tuesday will consider sending final layoff notices to about
            413 teachers and librarians, 10 vice principals and two psychologists,
            based on the proposed decision of an administrative law judge who heard
            seniority and credential disputes last month. Because of state funding
            reductions, the district sent out more than 600 preliminary pink slips
            in March. Final notices will be mailed by Thursday.

            c slamon wrote:

            > Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124
            > teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this
            > vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only
            > parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1
            > other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be
            > devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us
            > all.
            >
            > christina slamon

          • Ralph Bedwell
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16, 2009
              The decimation of education has been going on for many years now. People haven't been outraged up so far, so why should they start now? I've been working for this district for about ten years, and it seems like there have been cutbacks -- many times major cutbacks -- in most of those years.

              Ralph

              Message 6 of 8 , May 16, 2009
                --People have been outraged, that is why some march 70 miles to Sacramento and had the governator treat the students and adults like they were second class citizens. The problem is that not enough people have joined together and held mass protests against the state of education in California and across the country. The struggle has to start somewhere, we tried to provide a start by focusing on WCCUSD, we knew then as all know now, it was a matter of time before thing became much worst in WCCUSD.

                Scottie Smith

                -------------- Original message from "Ralph Bedwell" <bedwellr@...>: --------------