124 teachers will be laid off - vote was 4 -1

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2009
      Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124
      teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this
      vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only
      parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1
      other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be
      devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us
      all.

      christina slamon

    • Jim Cowen
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2009
        Taken out of context, the previous post may lead one to believe that thru a secret or poorly attended meeting the board rammed thru a layoff of an additional 124 teachers. And, of course, that is not the case.

        I'm not intending to defend the board; only to defend the truth (or at least clarity).

        We all know about the layoff notices that were sent out in March.  A large number of teachers requested, as is their right, a hearing on the matter.  The hearing resulted in a few changes in the seniority list, and even one teacher that was improperly notified was taken off the list.  But, otherwise, it was simply a procedural matter.  The hearing resulted in an administrative law order to the board to make the minor changes in the list, and then to proceed with the layoff's.  And THAT is what the board did tonite.

        Jim Cowen
        Defender of Clarity.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2009
          What I got from the previous post is that education is being cut and cut and no one is being outraged.  We are last in funding for education, we have one of the more diverse populations to serve, and we continue to make the job of teaching more difficult for the teachers that remain.  There is nothing secret about how standards and expectations continue to rise at the same time that resources to accomplish these goals continue to be diverted to other "priories".  I agree that it is sad that the public is accepting the decimation of education.

          Eduardo

          From: c slamon <cslamon@gmail. com>

          To: "wccusdtalk" <wccusdtalk@yahoogro ups.com>

          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2009
            Eduardo,

            I agree.

            Margaret Browne

            _____

            --- On Mon, 5/11/09, Jim Cowen <jimcowen@yahoo.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2009
              Does anyone know how many non-teaching positions were eliminated?

              Andrew
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2009
                And in Mt. Diablo it's 413. Sad times for education. You can read
                Theresa Harrington's whole article from the Times here:
                http://www.contracostatimes.com/top-stories/ci_12346002
                Cathy

                Nearly $20 million in stimulus money is unlikely to prevent the Mt.
                Diablo school district from sending final layoff notices to more than
                400 teachers.

                "We're happy to get the federal funds, of course," Interim
                Superintendent Dick Nicoll said Monday. "We just know it's not a panacea
                for the long-term funding gap in California public education."

                Trustees on Tuesday will consider sending final layoff notices to about
                413 teachers and librarians, 10 vice principals and two psychologists,
                based on the proposed decision of an administrative law judge who heard
                seniority and credential disputes last month. Because of state funding
                reductions, the district sent out more than 600 preliminary pink slips
                in March. Final notices will be mailed by Thursday.

                c slamon wrote:

                > Our school board voted tonight at a special meeting to lay off 124
                > teachers. The vote was 4 - 1 (Thurmond voted no), they had to take this
                > vote before the May 15th deadline to notify the teachers. I was the only
                > parent in attendance. Besides me, there was two UTR representatives and 1
                > other teacher We were the only 4 people there! This is going to be
                > devastating to our schools and our children. What a truly sad day for us
                > all.
                >
                > christina slamon

              • Ralph Bedwell
                Message 7 of 8 , May 16, 2009
                  The decimation of education has been going on for many years now. People haven't been outraged up so far, so why should they start now? I've been working for this district for about ten years, and it seems like there have been cutbacks -- many times major cutbacks -- in most of those years.

                  Ralph

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 16, 2009
                    --People have been outraged, that is why some march 70 miles to Sacramento and had the governator treat the students and adults like they were second class citizens. The problem is that not enough people have joined together and held mass protests against the state of education in California and across the country. The struggle has to start somewhere, we tried to provide a start by focusing on WCCUSD, we knew then as all know now, it was a matter of time before thing became much worst in WCCUSD.

                    Scottie Smith

                    -------------- Original message from "Ralph Bedwell" <bedwellr@...>: --------------