Stimulus funds

  • rogerf85
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2009
      """In the next few weeks, special education agencies in Contra Costa County will receive more than $52.5 million, [...].
      Schools can use the funds to bolster programs in many ways, including purchasing state-of-the-art technological devices for special education students and beefing up teacher training.
      Stimulus money for low-income Title 1 schools could be used to develop supplemental learning materials such as online courses, increase collaboration among school employees and improve early childhood development programs. [...] $2.6 million will be doled out to West Contra Costa campuses, and the Mt. Diablo district will collect nearly $1.7 million for its Title 1 sites.

      The special education and Title 1 grants do not include nearly $2.6 billion in less restricted state fiscal stabilization funds for school reforms and programs that could save jobs at elementary, middle and high schools. Tuesday was the deadline to apply for that federal stimulus funding, with awards expected to be announced next week."""

      Source:http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_12301271?nclick_check=1
      and California Department of Education -- cde.ca.gov
    • Ralph Bedwell
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2009
        Are there also other stimulus funds that WCCUSD will receive this year? Goodness knows we need them...

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2009
          Yes, if the district used grants to support programs. Grants cannot support staff, or long-term endeavors, but are better used to build infrastructure or systems. WCCUSD's problem is deeper than one-time fixes that grants or stimulus funds offer. For example, we raised over $60 million during my tenure as the grants "department" but we have nothing to show for it. No long term changes such as school reform, staff retention after training, or establishing safety and dropout prevention mechanisms that could be implemented regardless of who's at the helm. WCCUSD progresses extremely slowly and changes too much and too often. Under Dr. Harter, we have had the most stable organization ever.

          Did you see the article in today's WCTimes (online) about WCCUSD being one of the districts aat risk of state intervention?

          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2009
            May 9, 2009
            From: http://www.cde.ca.gov/nr/ne/yr09/yr09rel072.asp

            State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell today announced the release of the preliminary allocations of the $2.56 billion in State Fiscal Stabilization Funds (SFSF), available for public education through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
            “These funds will have an immediate and noticeable impact on California’s K-12 and higher education systems by helping schools keep teachers and other important staff employed, by continuing our efforts to improve student achievement, and furthering our work to close the achievement gap,”

            The database at http://www2.cde.ca.gov/recoverysfsfsearch/allocationsearch.aspx states that WCCUSD will receive $7,705,436.00