Times article on Monday's board meeting

  • c_travlos
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2009
      Interesting article by Kim Wetzel on Monday's special board meeting. I understand that the lack of a decision by the board is making it difficult for teachers who are making decisions about changing grade levels next year since the first deadline has now passed. I imagine a decision to move from K to 1, for example, would be influenced by whether you had 20 kids or 28.
      Cathy

      West Contra Costa school board fails to make budget cuts
      By Kimberly S. Wetzel West County Times

      Despite holding a special meeting for the specific purpose of making decisions on budget cuts, the West Contra Costa school district board came no closer to filling a $25.7 million budget gap Monday night.

      After two hours of discussion and public comment, the board declined to decide whether to increase class sizes as a way to save as much as $4 million and delayed a decision on whether to lay off 36 additional employees to save an estimated $1.5 million until the district can meet with the union to discuss the matter.

      The issues were continued from a board meeting last week, and while most who attended Monday's meeting were happy the board delayed the layoffs and chose not to increase class sizes in kindergarten through third grade classrooms, many were still confused at the board's apparent fractured debate and inability to make a decision. Many shrugged their shoulders and one person called the bizarre nature of the meeting "the twilight zone" as she walked out.

      "It was a huge waste of time and a huge waste of energy," said Pixie Hayward Schickele, president of the teachers union, of the meeting. The United Teachers of Richmond strongly opposed the class size increases.

      You can read the whole article here:

      http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_12090403