Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Death with dignity?

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
      Francie-

      Well, I was disappointed that the "Adams Family" didn't seem to make
      an appearance at the meeting. Your power must be great.

      We all have agendas. I don't share Mr. Rachlis's, but it's not like
      he's hiding it.

      Mr. Rachlis and his associates were simply more effective in promoting
      their more apocalyptic position as the official opposition. This
      allowed the closures issue to be framed as a reasonable beleaguered
      school district versus a bunch of unreasonable crazed leftists -- a
      classic story line for media consumption.

      Those of us whose agenda was to accept the necessity of some closures,
      but wanted it done fairly, simply didn't do a good enough job in
      framing the debate. We also made certain assumptions that didn't pan
      out. Now we know better.

      Charley Cowens
      http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

    • Diamel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2009
        The Adams family have nothing to be ashamed of. They had every right to
        fight for their neighborhood school. Unfortunately the powers that be silenced
        this effort. The WCCCQE maintains our position, NO school closures. The
        revolution isn't over, if the Adams family want to continue to fight, the WCCCQE is
        willing to help them plan direct actions.

        Diane Brown
        **************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
        Online FREE!
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221394870x1201432948/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%3Bk)

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2009
          How exactly was this effort silenced? Did the principal or some school
          district official intervene? The standard approach by the district to
          something like the Adams situation would be just to ignore people.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2009
            Charley,

            A small group of Adam teachers tried to organize an effort to keep their
            school open. They called the union leadership for assistance to rally the
            rank-and-file and community support. There efforts were discouraged by the union
            leadership "not to get involved."

            Instead, the death with dignity scenario was actively promoted.The attitude
            of the principal added to their setback, follow the mandate. In other words
            any fight back was squashed by the leaders that have the power to rally the
            membership and organize for direct action. The defeatist attitude prevailed.
            Consider this the short answer. Save All Schools!

            Diane Brown

            **************New Deals on Dell Netbooks – Now starting at $299 (A
            HREF=http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219939010x1201342897/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fa
            d.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213771626%3B35379597%3Bw)