Death with dignity?

  • Charles Rachlis
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 7:02 AM
      Francie,

      Your missives on this site for the duration of this struggle to keep our schools open have been more in line with the districts intention to close the schools than with saving all neighborhood schools.  It is no surprise that you oppose those in your own school who have suggested a bit of comic relief   during the final death march.   The WCCCQE found the creative method of demonstration put forward by the ADAMS FAMILY  to be both creative and true to the macabre point that this district has had the community involved in a circular firing squad for the last five months.

      Those of us who refuse to pull the trigger have every right to make our case in every way we can.   Would Francice or the board prefer the type of response the G-20 are getting in London?   When all you offer the people are cuts in education, layoffs, pink slips, crowded class rooms, un-certified teachers, closed libraries, no job prospects, increased college fees, bigger and more prisons ultimately you piss people off and head will roll.  I think a dress up demonstration is a good relief valve and way to make a point,  much better than pitched battles in the streets.

      As the institutions of governance have failed the people the people have every right to stand up and make their case up to and including replacing the institutions that have failed them (school board included).

      Francie asks for Death with Dignity,  when I put my cat down last week I held her in my arms while she did her death process  that was death with dignity.  Where are the loving arms  holding the ADAMS, CASTRO and EL SOBRANTE community during the administration of the final death needle by our politicians?

      Charles Rachlis

    • Francie
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 10:11 AM
        Mr. Rachlis -

        Was a vote taken among the Adams Faculty to endorse your protest? I haven't missed a meeting so I'm wondering when it took place.

        How many Adams faculty members found this to be a good idea? My count is one. Most find it to be tasteless and insulting.

        Will you acknowledge that you are taking advantage of our situation to further your own politcal agenda? Reference your mention of the G-20 summit and other global issues in past posts.

        Finally, have you ever visited the schools that you are working to save?

        Just curious,
        Francie
      • Charles Rachlis
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 5:46 PM
          Dear Ms Francie,
          I guess you got it backwards.   A vote was taken by WCCCQE steering committee members to endorse THE ADAMS FAMILY FUNERAL procession announced and leafleted for by members of the Adams community.  WCCCQE did not initiate the idea,  although we think its great and wish we had.
          As for your argument  that we should "not giving false hope to a community by protesting"  because we can't win is just a question of perspective.  WCCCQE has held since the beginning of this crisis that when the community looks past the "save my school" closed mindedness  and moves to the "save our schools" viewpoint the community can mobilize a force which can transform priorities from coast to coast. SOLIDARITY IS THE KEY.   We have pointed out that  mass mobilizations and strike actions must be led by labor because the unions have social weight due to their having  hands on the means of production.  And that when labor wields that weight empires can be shaken to their knees and  working people can win their demands.
          Today in France workers are holding executives captive in their offices to force them to negotiate in good faith.  Compare the militancy of the French workers to the "watch out or we'll sue you" method of American labor leaders.  Of course the illusions in the objectivity of the courts which the labor  leadership demonstrates is a reflection of a rank and file which has not retained the lessons of labor militancy.  It was that "hit the pavement" "tools down" militancy of yore which won us the eight hour day, the end of child labor, the weekend, OSHA, overtime pay, health and retirement..   All these gains were hard fought and won by bold action by workers, their unions and their allies standing up for economic justice.
          Those days may be long in the past but they are not totally forgotten and that history needs to be taught and learned from if we are to emerge from the current crisis of the economy with anything resembling the quality of life we have known till the present. The Republic Window and Door workers in Chicago  who took over their factory last year won their demands in three short weeks. And now they are back at work at good union pay.
          If we had followed their lead and our teachers unions stuck and our students and parents  occupied the schools (they way they are doing today in France) the outcome here may well have been quite different.
          Is the battle over in WCCUSD? Only time will tell. We know that more cuts, crowded classrooms, longer travel time for student, layoffs and possible school closures are in the works.  We also hear from the "experts"  that the world wide economic crisis is deepening faster than they can print money to throw at it.  The California budget crisis continues despite the latest deal.  Within weeks of the deal they announced the state would be in the hold another 8 billion due to declining tax revenue.
          The bottom line is that the existing quality of life gap between the top 5% and the rest of us is unsustainable.  All the cuts we face are a product of an economic structure molded to assure the wealth retention of those top 5% at the expense of those of us who have no choice but to sell our labor power for our daily bread.  When labor finally stands up either due to an awakening in the leadership (unlikely) or due to pressure from the rank and file this structural crisis can be turned around.  Until then those who stand up for economic justice will be admonished by cowards and do nothings who do the bosses job of selling their ideology to the working people.
          There is an old labor song which asked the eternal question,  "which side are you on".WCCCQE is on the side of a mobilized and self aware working class taking bold action to win economic justice and oppose cuts in our education, and quality of life.

          Charles Rachlis

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2 11:35 PM
            Francie-

            Well, I was disappointed that the "Adams Family" didn't seem to make
            an appearance at the meeting. Your power must be great.

            We all have agendas. I don't share Mr. Rachlis's, but it's not like
            he's hiding it.

            Mr. Rachlis and his associates were simply more effective in promoting
            their more apocalyptic position as the official opposition. This
            allowed the closures issue to be framed as a reasonable beleaguered
            school district versus a bunch of unreasonable crazed leftists -- a
            classic story line for media consumption.

            Those of us whose agenda was to accept the necessity of some closures,
            but wanted it done fairly, simply didn't do a good enough job in
            framing the debate. We also made certain assumptions that didn't pan
            out. Now we know better.

            Charley Cowens
            http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

          • Diamel@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3 7:06 AM
              The Adams family have nothing to be ashamed of. They had every right to
              fight for their neighborhood school. Unfortunately the powers that be silenced
              this effort. The WCCCQE maintains our position, NO school closures. The
              revolution isn't over, if the Adams family want to continue to fight, the WCCCQE is
              willing to help them plan direct actions.

              Diane Brown
              **************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
              Online FREE!
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221394870x1201432948/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%3Bk)

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8 12:10 AM
                How exactly was this effort silenced? Did the principal or some school
                district official intervene? The standard approach by the district to
                something like the Adams situation would be just to ignore people.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8 6:52 AM
                  Charley,

                  A small group of Adam teachers tried to organize an effort to keep their
                  school open. They called the union leadership for assistance to rally the
                  rank-and-file and community support. There efforts were discouraged by the union
                  leadership "not to get involved."

                  Instead, the death with dignity scenario was actively promoted.The attitude
                  of the principal added to their setback, follow the mandate. In other words
                  any fight back was squashed by the leaders that have the power to rally the
                  membership and organize for direct action. The defeatist attitude prevailed.
                  Consider this the short answer. Save All Schools!

                  Diane Brown

                  **************New Deals on Dell Netbooks – Now starting at $299 (A
                  HREF=http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219939010x1201342897/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fa
                  d.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213771626%3B35379597%3Bw)