Classroom-Size-Reduction Reduction

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      2 Board meetings ago, staff said they would propose taking advantage
      of new State rules that make it easier to boost the class sizes in K-3
      from 20:1 while still netting savings despite the penalties and still
      nominally participating in the CSR program. A noticing motion was
      passed to allow laying off enough K-3 teachers so that with attrition
      96 FTE slots could be eliminated for K-3. Nobody seems to have shown
      much interest in this on this list. I've posted a spreadsheet anyway
      with the options the staff will bring to the board tonight based on a
      handout at our last CBAC meeting:

      http://tr.im/i4FX

      Charley Cowens
      http://www.twitter.com/ccowens
    • c slamon
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        Dr Harter's staff is recommending option 4 which will save 4 million
        dollars. Option 4 increases class sizes to 28 students in grades K and 3;
        and maintains 20 students in grades 1 and 2. This option would eliminate 94
        full time teaching positions. I haven't put too much effort toward this
        because my child is older and I suspect that most parents on this list have
        older students too. I've been surprised to not hear anything from the
        elementary parents, hopefully they will come out tonight.