Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: The Adams Family is a family, not a bad joke

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hey 11K,

      I would say that one of the weaknesses of the Adams people is that
      they are not "anti-Portola" enough, because they probably believe that
      no schools should be closed at all...ever, a position I don't support.
      The Portola people have always been careful not to appear too
      bloodthirsty about it, but they've always been more than willing to
      pull the trigger on Castro and Adams to build the New Jerusalem (I
      mean Portola), but in a loving regretful way of course. Kudos to their
      superior political skills.

      I disagree with you that every community deserves a middle school.
      What would be a worthwhile goal is to have different types of schools
      spread out in a way so that the physical distance (taking into account
      geographic, etc. features) students have to travel is minimized
      irrespective of artificial political boundaries. This is the
      definition of "geographic equity" that was misleadingly presented to
      the Budget Advisory Committee by staff back in December.

      This reminds me of the conversation I had with an El Cerritan at a
      campaign event last year. She was concerned to have a middle school
      close by for her kid. I asked her what if it were close, but not in El
      Cerrito. She was aghast. Eventually, it turned out that it had to be
      in the city limits of El Cerrito, because it would help her property
      values.

      One more thing about the Adams Family action. It's on April Fool's
      Day, so something like this fits more than it would otherwise.

      Charley "Thing" Cowens
      http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
        Rosemary,

        You need to talk to your reps' offices now. Legal action is very iffy.

        Loni Hancock (Assembly): 510-286-1400
        Mark DeSaulnier (Senate): 925-942-6082

        I assume you've already talked to John Gioia's office (County): 510-374-3231

        Charley Cowens
        http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
          Ooops... The phone number is correct, but it's Nancy Skinner not Loni Hancock.

          Charley Cowens
          http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

          On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Charley Cowens
          <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
          > Rosemary,
          >
          > You need to talk to your reps' offices now. Legal action is very iffy.
          >
          > Loni Hancock (Assembly): 510-286-1400
          > Mark DeSaulnier (Senate): 925-942-6082
          >
          > I assume you've already talked to John Gioia's office (County): 510-374-3231
          >
          > Charley Cowens
          > http://www.twitter.com/ccowens
          >

          > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:48 PM, rosemary haffner
          > <z8msban@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> You write: Several subscribers to this list have long advocated that the district do something about Adams’ seismic issues. So they have. You got what you asked for and I’m sorry that it wasn’t the outcome you had planned. You did however, ask for this.
          >> I’m not sure what you are saying, but my neighbors and I are outraged that the district is closing our school and what I find absolutely horrifying, is the future of our neighborhood should the district sell the property for housing development. My neighbors have suggested a petition but I think it’s time to take our concerns to the courts.

        • reducingandreusing
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
            Charley's assessment of the Portola-at-any-cost people is spot-on.

            Over the past three years, I have had many conversations with parents who say that they want Portola to be rebuilt at Castro because of:

            1. their (El Cerrito) property values, or
            2. the convenience of not having to drive too far, or
            3. their fear about sending their kid into (gasp!) Richmond.

            They are unmoved by the fact that the more logical, fiscally sound choice for a new middle school is the Adams site.

            They are "OIMBYs." That stands for Only In My Backyard.

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7, 2009
              Valerie,

              I would refine OIMBY to be OIMNBY - Only in My Neighbor's Back Yard.
              Close, but not too close.

              Charley Cowens
              http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
                Rosemary,
                What Francine was referring to was the call to close the school due to seismic safety issues.  The question is whether the state would allow a remodelled or rebuild of school on that property given what they know.  I have yet to hear one way or another, but given that there is no money, do we keep children in a building that so many in this community have screamed is dangerous?
                Tammy Campbell