THE ADAMS FAMILY REFUSES TO DIE-FIGHT LAYOFFS PROTEST APRIL 1

  • Charles Rachlis
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2009
      ---

      THE ADAMS FAMILY  will be attending the School Board meeting on April 1st..

      Dressed in black,  Mortisha, Learch, Uncle Fester, Gomez, thing,  Wendy and Puggsley will be there for the funeral.   Is it the funeral of The  Adams Family or  shall we make it the funeral of this school board and the politicians from here to Sacramento and beyond?   That's up to you!

      Be
      There:  6:30  De Jean Middle School
      Pick your favorite Adams family member to dress as or come as you are.  None will be turned away for inappropriate attire.  BLACK IS APPROPRIATE!

      WCCCQE calls on members of the WCCUSD to come and support the three schools still on the chopping block.  Remember the cuts affect us all, more crowded class rooms, fired staff  and declining quality of
      education will be the result and your school could be next.

      Come on down and give the School Board a piece of your mind.

      Say No to All School Closures
      Demand No Layoffs
      Quality Education for All.

    • Francie
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009
        I find it absolutely horrifying and insulting that some community members would turn the closing of our school into some perverse charade. We have teachers who have been on staff since the school re-opened over 20 years ago. For 15 years I have worked for the children of Adams Middle, as a parent volunteer and then as librarian. Three members of the original 1959-60 Adams administration are still living in the area and our wonderful counselor Olivia Trevino was a student at the school when it first opened.

        Those of you who choose to prance through a school board meeting dressed in costume as fictional characters from a campy sitcom demean all that we have done and all the years we have invested in educating the children of West Contra Costa. Your poorly contrived publicity stunt is hurtful and disrepectful to our proud history.

        Last Saturday, the Adams family - a true community of teachers, parents, and former students - sat at Grace Lutheran Church for Oline Floe's memorial service, celebrating her 35 years of extraordinary service to local students. That was a true family, one that is trying desperately to handle a difficult situation with dignity and grace.

        Today we find that political activists are making a mockery of who we are and the situation we find ourselves in. What's next? Will you attend the next Board meeting carrying half-eaten food? After all, El Sobrante means "the leftovers". How are you planning to humiliate Castro's staff?

        Charles Albert Adams Middle School was named for a pioneer in providing equitable education to California students in the very early 20th century. Thanks to Mr. Adams, children in California do not have to pay for textbooks. We are honored to work in a school that bears his name. Shame on those of you who would smear his good work and the work of all those who have dedicated themselves to Adams students over the past 50 years.

        Several subscribers to this list have long advocated that the district do something about Adams' seismic issues. So they have. You got what you asked for and I'm sorry that it wasn't the outcome you had planned. You did, however, ask for this.

        I am asking you to please leave us with some dignity.

        Francie Kunaniec
        proud member of the true Adams Family

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009
          Francie,

          I beg to differ. I like the fact that people are showing a little
          imagination in fighting against a powerful overbearing government
          agency that is doing something wrong. I'm sorry for the timing with
          the death of Oline Floe. If she had been on the agenda for tomorrow,
          then that would certainly be a factor for a more restrained approach,
          but she isn't on the copy I have.

          I'm glad you posted your message though, because it gives the people
          planning this a preview of some of the response they might get from
          the New Portola at Any Cost people on the Board and in the audience.
          The organizers should consider this, though, not in a moral way, but a
          tactical way. Does the message get lost in the delivery or not? Maybe
          it's OK to get the message lost in the short run if it comes out
          stronger in the long run. Once again a tough tactical call, but it's
          good to see people thinking creatively -- at least the people who are
          sort of on my side (whatever that means).

          Given your working life at Adams, the odds of Adams being closed, and
          the fact that you may very well think the decision is correct, it may
          make sense for you to make your peace with the situation through a
          softer more retrospective approach -- a sort of "noble death" approach
          for Adams as whole. You should certainly be allowed space to do this
          sort of thing. But, others, like me, have a different connection to
          this as taxpayers, citizens, and just people.

          You say that the complainers on the list demanded that something be
          done about the seismic issues and now they're getting what they "asked
          for" but not what they "wanted." That's very koan-like. But, this
          isn't a choice between drinking Pepsi and Coke and then moving on. The
          comparative details have been hashed out here before, but it's clear
          that building a totally new Portola instead of retrofitting Adams
          would be a monstrous perversion of justice and a massive waste of
          taxpayer's money. It's worth fighting not just for the slim chance of
          changing the decision, but also to discourage future bad decisions
          like this by making the implementation of this bad decision
          politically costly.

          Sorry if I'm fulminating too much,
          Charley Cowens

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009
            Hey, Charley -
            You can always fulminate (had to look that one up) and disagree with me. Let's start off with a correction, I didn't call the "fix Adams"-advocates from times gone by "complainers". Please don't get me in trouble with the group. I'm a believer in unintended consequences and this is what the Adams situation has become. Well-meaning people wanted the school fixed but timing, political circumstance and a financial meltdown made us an easy target for closure.

            Oline was remembered by our staff and the Board at the last meeting. She was given due regard and it was quite lovely. Sorry we didn't see you there.

            To be clear, I believe that every community in our district deserves its own middle school... and its own K-8 (Jim has converted me). I felt that way with the building of DeJean and I feel that way about a new Portola, although it saddens me to see the fighting within the El Cerrito community instead of a unified approach to educating our middle school students. I believe that middle school students need a place to make their own goofy mistakes and experience a transition between the very controlled elementary school environment and the independence of high school. Options are good, however, and I hope that Mira Vista will become a wonderful K-8.

            My view on this Addams Family Parade (snap snap) is that the anti-Portola-at-any-cost folks are using our demise and the name of our school for a cheap PR moment. Board members are likely to look at the parade as a circus and not the effort of intelligent individuals. Logic hasn't prevailed so this is all that's left. Maybe I'm wrong and the Board will be so excited to see Gomez and Moriticia and Cousin It that they'll turn their backs on all the years invested in Portola II.

            Would I like for Adams to remain open? Absolutely. Do I think that having children attend classes in a construction zone on a hillside with portable classrooms on either side of the construction is a good idea? No. My view is that it would make the Harding construction project look like a walk in the park.

            You've said that there's a "slim chance of changing the decision." Staging events like the one planned for Wednesday nights raises the hopes of some members of our staff. Then they are smacked down again. I feel badly for my friends and I still feel demeaned by having people dressed up in Halloween costumes saying they represent us. From where I sit, it looks like they represent anti-Portola, not pro-Adams. They absolutely don't represent me and I'm wondering exactly how many of our staff and parents are included in this protest.

            I'll try hard not to take this personally. It's a free speech opportunity and free speech doesn't always have to be pretty.

            Francie
          • rosemary haffner
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009
              You write: Several subscribers to this list have long advocated that the district do something about Adams’ seismic issues. So they have. You got what you asked for and I’m sorry that it wasn’t the outcome you had planned. You did however, ask for this.
              I’m not sure what you are saying, but my neighbors and I are outraged that the district is closing our school and what I find absolutely horrifying, is the future of our neighborhood should the district sell the property for housing development. My neighbors have suggested a petition but I think it’s time to take our concerns to the courts.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                Hey 11K,

                I would say that one of the weaknesses of the Adams people is that
                they are not "anti-Portola" enough, because they probably believe that
                no schools should be closed at all...ever, a position I don't support.
                The Portola people have always been careful not to appear too
                bloodthirsty about it, but they've always been more than willing to
                pull the trigger on Castro and Adams to build the New Jerusalem (I
                mean Portola), but in a loving regretful way of course. Kudos to their
                superior political skills.

                I disagree with you that every community deserves a middle school.
                What would be a worthwhile goal is to have different types of schools
                spread out in a way so that the physical distance (taking into account
                geographic, etc. features) students have to travel is minimized
                irrespective of artificial political boundaries. This is the
                definition of "geographic equity" that was misleadingly presented to
                the Budget Advisory Committee by staff back in December.

                This reminds me of the conversation I had with an El Cerritan at a
                campaign event last year. She was concerned to have a middle school
                close by for her kid. I asked her what if it were close, but not in El
                Cerrito. She was aghast. Eventually, it turned out that it had to be
                in the city limits of El Cerrito, because it would help her property
                values.

                One more thing about the Adams Family action. It's on April Fool's
                Day, so something like this fits more than it would otherwise.

                Charley "Thing" Cowens
                http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                  Rosemary,

                  You need to talk to your reps' offices now. Legal action is very iffy.

                  Loni Hancock (Assembly): 510-286-1400
                  Mark DeSaulnier (Senate): 925-942-6082

                  I assume you've already talked to John Gioia's office (County): 510-374-3231

                  Charley Cowens
                  http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                    Ooops... The phone number is correct, but it's Nancy Skinner not Loni Hancock.

                    Charley Cowens
                    http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

                    On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Charley Cowens
                    <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
                    > Rosemary,
                    >
                    > You need to talk to your reps' offices now. Legal action is very iffy.
                    >
                    > Loni Hancock (Assembly): 510-286-1400
                    > Mark DeSaulnier (Senate): 925-942-6082
                    >
                    > I assume you've already talked to John Gioia's office (County): 510-374-3231
                    >
                    > Charley Cowens
                    > http://www.twitter.com/ccowens
                    >

                    > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:48 PM, rosemary haffner
                    > <z8msban@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> You write: Several subscribers to this list have long advocated that the district do something about Adams’ seismic issues. So they have. You got what you asked for and I’m sorry that it wasn’t the outcome you had planned. You did however, ask for this.
                    >> I’m not sure what you are saying, but my neighbors and I are outraged that the district is closing our school and what I find absolutely horrifying, is the future of our neighborhood should the district sell the property for housing development. My neighbors have suggested a petition but I think it’s time to take our concerns to the courts.

                  • reducingandreusing
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                      Charley's assessment of the Portola-at-any-cost people is spot-on.

                      Over the past three years, I have had many conversations with parents who say that they want Portola to be rebuilt at Castro because of:

                      1. their (El Cerrito) property values, or
                      2. the convenience of not having to drive too far, or
                      3. their fear about sending their kid into (gasp!) Richmond.

                      They are unmoved by the fact that the more logical, fiscally sound choice for a new middle school is the Adams site.

                      They are "OIMBYs." That stands for Only In My Backyard.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 7, 2009
                        Valerie,

                        I would refine OIMBY to be OIMNBY - Only in My Neighbor's Back Yard.
                        Close, but not too close.

                        Charley Cowens
                        http://www.twitter.com/ccowens

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
                          Rosemary,
                          What Francine was referring to was the call to close the school due to seismic safety issues.  The question is whether the state would allow a remodelled or rebuild of school on that property given what they know.  I have yet to hear one way or another, but given that there is no money, do we keep children in a building that so many in this community have screamed is dangerous?
                          Tammy Campbell