Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: OPT out of benchmark testing

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
      I spend a lot of time debating with my students the validity of answers on standardized tests.  I also have difficulty knowing what answer is wanted in many cases and I don't consider myself to be dim.  At best the tests give me an opportunity to discuss cultural bias and logic.  We're able to see that logic leads to different conclusions if one operates from different assumptions and cultural bases. This conversation occurs with my brighter students, while the less developed either think they are truly idiots or insist that the test is bunk. What these tests measure is how well a test taker can predict the logic of the test maker, not how much they know.  Too much time is wasted on taking these tests.

      I am not saying these tests are without value, but I do believe too much emphasis is given to them.  I don't believe that there was no accountability before these tests became so invasive.  I knew which students were behind and which were advanced.  As far as incentive to change the unjust situation lack of funding has created in education, I have seen none generated.  In fact I see more jobs heaped upon teachers reducing their ability to work directly with the student, decreasing not increasing their ability to address the real job of teaching.