Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Criteria for School Closures

  • c slamon
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2008
      I believe the criteria is going to be established at the December 10th
      school board meeting. They also announced that public meetings will be held
      but I did not catch those dates. I believe those are the public hearings in
      January that Cathy referred to.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
        Roger,

        If you look at the District Web site, you can find the timeline on
        page 26 of the PDF at http://tr.im/1pef . The criteria and process
        will be decided on at the Dec. 10th meeting, not in February or
        January. As Cathy pointed out before (I think), a lot will be locked
        in at this earlier time.

        We will be having a special meeting of the Community Budget Advisory
        Committee to go over the school closures issue before the Board
        decides on criteria and process on Dec. 10. The meeting will be on
        Thursday, December 4th, 6:30 at the Alvarado Adult School. The agenda
        is available on the CBAC Web site at http://tr.im/1pg2 .

        Charley Cowens

        On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM, rogerf85 <rogerf85@...> wrote:
        > Thanks Cathy.
        > Based on the info, tthe criteria should be available once the public hearings have been
        > held in January.
        >
        > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Public hearings are to be held in January with a decision made by Feb 8.
        >> The information is on the district web page. From discussions at the
        >> last board meetings it sounds like closures will happen, it's just a
        >> matter of how many and which ones. The new board members may be
        >> reluctant to do this but it sounds like the State Trustee may be pretty
        >> insistent.
        >> Cathy
        >>
        >> rogerf85 wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Is this established at this time? (December 1, 2008?)

        wccusd.blogspot.com
      • rogerf85
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
          Thanks Charley.
          I looked it over. It looks like a done deal then with a bleak outcome.
          It's too bad revenue and expenditures by site, by focus on student success and safety is n
          not considered. I am now a very angry ex-employee. All these grants for nothing.

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens" <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

          > Roger,
          >
          > If you look at the District Web site, you can find the timeline on
          > page 26 of the PDF at http://tr.im/1pef . The criteria and process
          > will be decided on at the Dec. 10th meeting, not in February or
          > January. As Cathy pointed out before (I think), a lot will be locked
          > in at this earlier time.
          >
          > We will be having a special meeting of the Community Budget Advisory
          > Committee to go over the school closures issue before the Board
          > decides on criteria and process on Dec. 10. The meeting will be on
          > Thursday, December 4th, 6:30 at the Alvarado Adult School. The agenda
          > is available on the CBAC Web site at http://tr.im/1pg2 .
          >
          > Charley Cowens
          >
          > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM, rogerf85 <rogerf85@...> wrote:
          > > Thanks Cathy.
          > > Based on the info, tthe criteria should be available once the public hearings have
          been
          > > held in January.
          > >
          > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Public hearings are to be held in January with a decision made by Feb 8.
          > >> The information is on the district web page. From discussions at the
          > >> last board meetings it sounds like closures will happen, it's just a
          > >> matter of how many and which ones. The new board members may be
          > >> reluctant to do this but it sounds like the State Trustee may be pretty
          > >> insistent.
          > >> Cathy

          > --
          > Charley Cowens
          > wccusd.blogspot.com

        • rogerf85
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
            Charley, what is the use of the meeting if (1) the criteria is already established and (2) the
            Board will approve it on December 10? The timeline seems very short unless a
            presentation can be made to board members before the 10th, which is probably
            impossible.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
              Roger,

              My impression from attending the last Board meeting where the
              powerpoint was shown is that neither (1) nor (2) are true. The
              inevitability that the staff is promoting is the inevitability of
              closing schools. This is their big goal--to lock this in. The
              specifics beyond that are much more open even before you get down to
              the level of close school A or B.

              As far as the timing, I shrug my shoulders. December 10th is a short
              time away, but Thanksgiving is in the way for scheduling. You do what
              you can.

              Charley Cowens

              On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:27 AM, rogerf85 <rogerf85@...> wrote:
              > Charley, what is the use of the meeting if (1) the criteria is already established and (2) the
              > Board will approve it on December 10? The timeline seems very short unless a
              > presentation can be made to board members before the 10th, which is probably
              > impossible.
              >
              > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens" <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Roger,
              >>
              >> If you look at the District Web site, you can find the timeline on
              >> page 26 of the PDF at http://tr.im/1pef . The criteria and process
              >> will be decided on at the Dec. 10th meeting, not in February or
              >> January. As Cathy pointed out before (I think), a lot will be locked
              >> in at this earlier time.
              >>
              >> We will be having a special meeting of the Community Budget Advisory
              >> Committee to go over the school closures issue before the Board
              >> decides on criteria and process on Dec. 10. The meeting will be on
              >> Thursday, December 4th, 6:30 at the Alvarado Adult School. The agenda
              >> is available on the CBAC Web site at http://tr.im/1pg2 .
              >>
              >> Charley Cowens
              >>
              >> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM, rogerf85 <rogerf85@...> wrote:
              >> > Thanks Cathy.
              >> > Based on the info, tthe criteria should be available once the public hearings have
              > been
              >> > held in January.

              >> --
              >> Charley Cowens
              >> wccusd.blogspot.com

              wccusd.blogspot.com
            • rogerf85
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                Charley, I was not writing about your schedule for the 12/4 meeting (in case this was your
                understanding), but about the timeline for the board adopting criteria. For example, the
                criteria proposed in the PP presentation may look exhaustive to some, as if no other
                possibilities existed. If the Board represents the stakeholders, when would stakeholders
                have a chance to present fresh ideas? This was my point. I am not blaming out anyone.
                Just trying to avoid school closures. I don't think a small school that has not been rebuilt,
                or remodeled should be closed if it breaks even.

                The costs of running a school include all the school site needs to run, from administrators
                and teachers to counselors, librarians, textbooks and a custodian (among other items).
                However, other costs come into play, for example, the salary of given district staff
                member who assists, say 8 schools, divided by 8; the salary of all central staff that
                operates the human resources work, payroll and benefits, etc. divided by the number of
                schools we have.

                Once the true cost of running any district school is known, then one could perhaps say,
                OK, this is a losing proposition, close the school. I just think that the rationale for closing
                any school should make sense to the community served by the school and not be based on
                districtwide costs in areas the school has no business.

                Thanks.

                Rogér

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Roger,

                  The basic problem with the timing was that this discussion was put off
                  for poilitical reasons (passing the parcel tax). You are correct that
                  it would be better to add an extra meeting for the Board to give
                  people a chance to promote and refine their own ideas, but the
                  conditional approval of the WCCUSD budget by the County Office of Ed.
                  with January 31 as a trigger date makes things tight.

                  You have our meeting tonight to work on your idea. You're already
                  using wccusdtalk. You can also email the Board ahead of time and see
                  if someone calls you back. The District link at http://tr.im/1v5W has
                  Kronenberg, Miles, and Ramsey. The new guys' emails are Antonio
                  Medrano <amedrano3@...> and Tony Thurmond
                  <tony@...>.

                  Charley Cowens

                  wccusd.blogspot.com
                • rogerf85
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Thanks Charley. Couldn't make it to the meeting. I guess I'll try the board members
                    directly.