Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: No Ward Elections for WCCUSD

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
      Tammy-

      Certainly Chris's not engaging in libel or anything like that. She's just
      being deceptive to the County Board.

      1. Chris is not just some parent, but a political insider who has managed
      bond and candidate campaigns in the district and remains in "the loop."

      2. The "unity" behind the current parcel tax is not any different from the
      last (failed) parcel tax measure except that the teacher's union is
      explicitly supporting it instead of confusing people with an inscrutable
      position. I don't see exactly how putting this measure on will make people
      who are supporting it now walk away from the table. CPEC actually has
      endorsed the parcel tax, so we are certainly making an effort to help the
      parcel tax while still supporting the .

      3. After her discussion of Charles Ramsey, she drops this:

      <<If members of the Citizens for Positive Education Change want to make
      change in our district then they should attend the meetings regularly and
      get involved in our district so that when they are ready to run for school
      board, they can show they have the knowledge to sit on the board and that
      they have done their homework about our school district so that they can
      convince the voters they deserve to be there.>>

      At one level, this is just standard patronizing boilerplate. At another
      level, this is something else. Chris is well aware of who is involved in
      CPEC. She knows people like Anton Jungherr, Scottie Smith, Antonio Medarano,
      and myself are part of this. We are all people who she knows have been
      involved in this District in exactly the way described, yet Chris makes it
      sound like we have done nothing but twiddle our thumbs until this issue.

      Charley Cowens

      I am a member of the Citizens for Positive Education Change. I have been and
      continue to be involved in this District in a variety of roles, including
      attending our interminable school board meetings, far longer than Chris (and
      I'm a spring chicken compared to CPEC member Scottie Smith). I do not need
      to prove anything to Chris to exercise my rights as a citizen and neither
      does anyone else in CPEC. This is the kind of patronizing attitude that tees
      off people.

      As for the "twist" you mentioned, I don't think anyone knows how things will
      play out given either outcome from the County Board of Education

      wccusd.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
        Oops, sorry about the message fragment at the end. It's from some previous
        draft.

        Charley Cowens

        wccusd.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
          Yes Charley, Chris is a political insider as much as you, Scottie, Antonio and I are.  We are all insiders because we donate and spend a lot of time supporting this school district and trying to make it better.  We spend time holding the district responsible.  We spend time learning about issues.  We spend time with the kids.  We do speak from knowledge because we all walk the walk.  We also have strong emotions surrounding education, so strong that our passions can overtake us at times.  I just don't want us to hurt one another in the process.  We need to remember to agree to disagree.

          I have to agree with you that I see no connection between the parcel tax and the ward elections.  they are independent of one another.

          I will be sending my comments to the county school board.
          Tammy

          On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@ gmail.com>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > neither does anyone else in CPEC. This is the kind of patronizing attitude
          > that tees off people.
          >
          > As for the "twist" you mentioned, I don't think anyone knows how things
          > will play out given either outcome from the County Board of Education
          >

          > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Tammera Campbell <
          > tammeracampbell@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          >
          >> Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we should feel free to
          >> express how we feel. Ms. Slamon has worked very hard for her local schools
          >> and is quite knowledgeable of this district and what is needed. Her fear
          >> regarding the non-renewal of the parcel tax is real for her and many
          >> others. Please don't discount it.
          >>
          >> Let me add a twist. I have heard discussion that if this ward resolution
          >> does not pass, then the parcel tax may be defeated. So we trade wards for

          wccusd.blogspot. com

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
            Yes Charley, Chris is a political insider as much as you, Scottie, Antonio and I are.  We are all insiders because we donate and spend a lot of time supporting this school district and trying to make it better.  We spend time holding the district responsible.  We spend time learning about issues.  We spend time with the kids.  We do speak from knowledge because we all walk, the walk.  We also have strong emotions surrounding education, so strong that our passions can overtake us at times.  I just don't want us to hurt one another in the process.  We need to remember to agree to disagree.  We  also have to remember that we can have a different vision of things.

            I have to agree with you that I see no connection between the parcel tax and the ward elections.  they are independent of one another.

            Don't worry, I will be sending my comments to the county school board members.
            Tammy

            wrote:

> [...]
            > neither does anyone else in CPEC. This is the kind of patronizing attitude
            > that tees off people.
            >
            > As for the "twist" you mentioned, I don't think anyone knows how things
            > will play out given either outcome from the County Board of Education
            >

            > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Tammera Campbell <
            > tammeracampbell@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            >
            >> Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we should feel free to
            >> express how we feel. Ms. Slamon has worked very hard for her local schools
            >> and is quite knowledgeable of this district and what is needed. Her fear
            >> regarding the non-renewal of the parcel tax is real for her and many
            >> others. Please don't discount it.
            >>
            >> Let me add a twist. I have heard discussion that if this ward resolution
            >> does not pass, then the parcel tax may be defeated. So we trade wards for

            wccusd.blogspot. com

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2008
              --Tammy:

              Thanks for your insight, and I agree, we all are entitled to our opinions. Also, we should not believe that the good people of the community can only vote for one thing at a time. I remember long ago, when Kris Hunt wrote a piece that stated something like "the people of WCCUSD was not knowledgeable enough to vote on a tax measure, but the people of Brentwood (or some place like that) were. I strongly opposed her on this web site. People in this district want the same things as any other, good schools, voices heard and educational reform. In order to make this happen, we must allow more feedback in what may appear as non-traditional ways. But ward elections should not in know way be thought of as a way to oppose the RENEWAL of the Parcel tax. I trust the people of this community to know the difference and if they truly feel that their communication would be better heard with a local rep on the board, I say vote for change in that area. Also, note, taking the few dollars that we pay in parcel tax from our schools, will only hurt our children and this we should not do, because the money will not make much different in your personal life, but will continue helping our children in a small way when the PARCEL TAX IS RENEWED.

              Scottie Smith

              -------------- Original message from Tammera Campbell <tammeracampbell@...>: --------------

              wrote:

> [...]
              > neither does anyone else in CPEC. This is the kind of patronizing attitude
              > that tees off people.
              >
              > As for the "twist" you mentioned, I don't think anyone knows how things
              > will play out given either outcome from the County Board of Education
              >

              > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Tammera Campbell <
              > tammeracampbell@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              >
              >> Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we should feel free to
              >> express how we feel. Ms. Slamon has worked very hard for her local schools
              >> and is quite knowledgeable of this district and what is needed. Her fear
              >> regarding the non-renewal of the parcel tax is real for her and many
              >> others. Please don't discount it.
              >>
              >> Let me add a twist. I have heard discussion that if this ward resolution
              >> does not pass, then the parcel tax may be defeated. So we trade wards for

              wccusd.blogspot. com