Re: Seismic concerns for Portola Middle

    Message 1 of 9 , May 14 9:26 PM
      NO....The middle school that collapsed in China was only 10 years
      old.
      I have told our board that I would not build any 3-story buildings
      so close to a fault. Until they have seen what I have seen, they
      will sit blindly, claiming that our children are safe....
      Of course this is opinion. Hopefully I am WRONG!

      Jill Wolkenfeld

      Excerpt of middle school in China:

      May 15 (Bloomberg) -- Scenes of devastation at schools destroyed by
      China's May 12 earthquake are prompting demands for investigations
      of how they were built.
      ``We cannot afford not to raise uneasy questions about the
      structural quality of school buildings,'' the state-owned China
      Daily newspaper said in an editorial yesterday. Shoddy compliance
      with building rules must be ``firmly'' dealt with, it said.
      At least 2,000 children are missing and feared dead after their
      schools collapsed because of China's strongest earthquake in 58
      years. The grief and anger among parents is especially acute because
      the population-control rules allow only one child per family.
      ``Schools weren't the only buildings that collapsed, but of course
      we care most about the schools,'' Luo Pingfei, vice minister of
      civil affairs, said at a news briefing May 13.
      Schools are among the buildings most at risk in seismic zones,
      according to a 2004 Organization for Economic Cooperation and
      Development report. China introduced stricter building requirements
      since 1978 after a 7.5-magnitude earthquake in 1976 killed 250,000
      people in northeastern China's Tangshan. The latest rules were
      imposed in 2001.
      ``China has very clear laws,'' said Chau Kam-tim, professor of
      geotechnical engineering at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
      ``Whether the local government or individuals implement them remains
      a question. Obviously, there's a problem.''
      Rescues, Classes Resume
      While some primary and middle schools in Chengdu, capital of the
      quake-stricken southwest Sichuan province, resumed classes
      yesterday, rescuers are still trying to find 900 children buried in
      the remains of Juyuan Middle School in Dujiangyan, near the
      epicenter of the 7.9-magnitude quake.
      Only about 200 children escaped when the four-story building
      collapsed, and recovered bodies have been placed in minibuses
      serving as temporary morgues, according to the Hong Kong-based
      Standard newspaper.
      ``My child was only 15, he was my only hope,'' the report cited a
      crying mother as saying. ``What am I going to do without him?''
      Other parents complained that the school, built 10 years ago,
      collapsed because contractors used shoddy materials. Nearby older
      buildings remain standing, the report said.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Elisa Federspiel" <eefcc@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , May 15 5:54 AM
        Why should the Board be motivated?

        The crushing of our own people on the Cypress structure during the Loma Prieta quake didn't change the seismic policies of this district. The report stating that Portola and Adams are structurally unsafe didn't motivate the Board.

        Why would a few foreign students being buried alive in a school all the way around the world motivate them?

        My question is why do the parents continue to send their children to potential death traps? The Board obviously does not give a rat's butt and if the parent's do not show any concern what so ever then why should the Board?

        Do not blame the Board, they are only following the parents lead. Think about it. Who has more responsibility for the childs safety? The Board or the parent? Is anyone showing concern for the children in your opinion?

        Kevin

        To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.comFrom: eefcc@...: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:47:05 +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Seismic concerns for Portola Middle

        Does anyone think the disaster in China will motivate the Board tomove the kids out of Portola?

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15 10:05 AM
          I believe the structural safety of school facilities is the primary
          responsibility of the School board. I agree with Kevin that parents
          should be more concerned and force the School Board/District to get
          all these students and staff into safe facilities, but I also believe
          that many parents have also been given faulty information from the
          School Board & District.

          Here is why I believe it's the school board's responsibility:

          1.) They decide which schools will be fixed with the Bond Money

          2.) They have access to all the structural reports and landslide
          reports, and voted to have them done and paid for. Most parents do not
          hire Structural Engineers to check out school facilities.

          3.) Karen Pfeifer told Bruce Harter Superintendent to send out
          letters to the Portola Community saying the School is safe for
          students based on the Field Act of 1933. (See:

          4.) I've heard Karen Pfeifer (and a previous school board member) say
          that the landslide under Portola a slow moving and moves over
          thousands of years. The 2006 Kropp Landslide report discusses the risk
          of a landslide induced by an earthquake and discusses more recent
          slides near Portola. "(1958) ...The slide was reportedly about 400
          feet wide, "several hundred feet" long and 11 to 14 feet deep. ... ...
          In 1968, a landslide occurred at the western end of Earl Court (about
          3/8 mile east of the school property) that resulted in the demolition
          of four houses. ... " (from page 11)

          5.) The School Board members are liable
          (See 17370 in CALIFORNIA CODES EDUCATION CODE SECTION 17365-17374)
          http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html
          ____

          CALIFORNIA CODES
          EDUCATION CODE
          SECTION 17365-17374
          17370. Except as provided in Section 17371, nothing in this article
          shall be construed as relieving any member of the governing board of a
          school district of any liability for injury to persons or damage to
          property imposed by law.
          _____
          Questions about the construction bond program
          Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Questions about the construction bond program

          Kevin wrote: If the District had a person at the front door of Portola
          with 600 sheets of paper stating that Portola was unsafe and each
          parent had to sign a waiver against suing the District should their
          child be killed during a quake while in Portola how many would sign
          that waiver.

          This short note is informational only. On September 6, 2006, at the
          direction of Karen Pfeifer, Dr. Bruce Harter, Superintendent, sent a
          letter to all Families in the Portola Middle School Attendance Area.
          In his letter, Dr. Harter stated that Portola Middle School was safe.?
          Although Dr. Harter's representation was directly contradicted by all
          of the professional engineering reports obtained by the District,
          which state that Portola is unsafe, and directly contradicted by the
          State of California's May 19, 2006, determination that Portola is
          unsafe, Karen Pfeifer later praised Dr. Harter for his letter, stating
          it spread oil on the waters.? Thus, your proposed waiver should
          include a waiver of negligent misrepresentation and fraud of any cause
          of action against the District, Dr. Harter, and Karen Pfeifer.

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:

          > Why should the Board be motivated?
          >
          > The crushing of our own people on the Cypress structure during the
          Loma Prieta quake didn't change the seismic policies of this district.
          The report stating that Portola and Adams are structurally unsafe
          didn't motivate the Board.

          > Why would a few foreign students being buried alive in a school all
          the way around the world motivate them?

          > My question is why do the parents continue to send their children to
          potential death traps? The Board obviously does not give a rat's butt
          and if the parent's do not show any concern what so ever then why
          should the Board?

          > Do not blame the Board, they are only following the parents lead.
          Think about it. Who has more responsibility for the childs safety? The
          Board or the parent? Is anyone showing concern for the children in
          your opinion?

          > Kevin
          >
          > To: wccusdtalk@...: eefcc@...: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:47:05
          +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Seismic concerns for Portola Middle

          > Does anyone think the disaster in China will motivate the Board
          tomove the kids out of Portola?

        • reducingandreusing
          Message 4 of 9 , May 15 4:25 PM
            Maybe the parents believe what Bruce Harter said in his letter of
            Sept. 6, 2006. He said (regarding seismic safety at Portola): "...be
            assured that Portola is a safe place for our 11-to-14-year old
            students. The current building meets the California code and the
            Field Act requirements for school facilities - which have much higher
            standards than residential construction."

            Any why did Bruce Harter make that statement? Because a Board member
            forced him to do so. And he complied. So, all of you Bruce Harter
            fans out there, who think he's so great because he shows up at school
            events, what is your responce to that?

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:

            > Why should the Board be motivated?
            >
            > The crushing of our own people on the Cypress structure during the
            Loma Prieta quake didn't change the seismic policies of this
            district. The report stating that Portola and Adams are structurally
            unsafe didn't motivate the Board.

            > Why would a few foreign students being buried alive in a school all
            the way around the world motivate them?

            > My question is why do the parents continue to send their children
            to potential death traps? The Board obviously does not give a rat's
            butt and if the parent's do not show any concern what so ever then
            why should the Board?

            > Do not blame the Board, they are only following the parents lead.
            Think about it. Who has more responsibility for the childs safety?
            The Board or the parent? Is anyone showing concern for the children
            in your opinion?

            > Kevin
            >

            > To: wccusdtalk@...: eefcc@...: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:47:05
            +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Seismic concerns for Portola Middle

            > Does anyone think the disaster in China will motivate the Board
            tomove the kids out of Portola?

          • Todd Groves
            Message 5 of 9 , May 16 2:12 PM
              Can parents in the five schools deemed likely to collapse file a
              Willaims complaint on school safety grounds? Can the district support
              with evidence its assertion of seismic safety? We need to be informed,
              not assured.

              Todd Groves

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "reducingandreusing"

              Message 6 of 9 , May 16 6:03 PM
                How may more kids will parents allow to be put at risk.

                If the parents are truly concerned for their children's welfare they would in mass parents rally to a Board meeting and state they want an independent review to prove as inconclusively as possible that the schools are safe and until that is done their children will not be in school.

                It won't happen as parents love the free baby sitting services of the district.

                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.comFrom: tag1022@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 21:12:02 +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Seismic concerns for Portola Middle

                Can parents in the five schools deemed likely to collapse file aWillaims complaint on school safety grounds? Can the district supportwith evidence its assertion of seismic safety? We need to be informed,not assured.Todd Groves--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "reducingandreusing"<valerie.snider@...> wrote:>> Maybe the parents believe what Bruce Harter said in his letter of > Sept. 6, 2006. He said (regarding seismic safety at Portola): "...be > assured that Portola is a safe place for our 11-to-14-year old > students. The current building meets the California code and the > Field Act requirements for school facilities - which have much higher > standards than residential construction."> > Any why did Bruce Harter make that statement? Because a Board member > forced him to do so. And he complied. So, all of you Bruce Harter > fans out there, who think he's so great because he shows up at school > events, what is your responce to that?> > > > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@> wrote:> >> > > > Why should the Board be motivated?> > > > The crushing of our own people on the Cypress structure during the > Loma Prieta quake didn't change the seismic policies of this > district. The report stating that Portola and Adams are structurally > unsafe didn't motivate the Board.> > > > Why would a few foreign students being buried alive in a school all > the way around the world motivate them?> > > > My question is why do the parents continue to send their children > to potential death traps? The Board obviously does not give a rat's > butt and if the parent's do not show any concern what so ever then > why should the Board?> > > > Do not blame the Board, they are only following the parents lead. > Think about it. Who has more responsibility for the childs safety? > The Board or the parent? Is anyone showing concern for the children > in your opinion?> > > > Kevin> > > > > > > > > > To: wccusdtalk@: eefcc@: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:47:05 > +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Seismic concerns for Portola Middle> > > > > > > > > > Does anyone think the disaster in China will motivate the Board > tomove the kids out of Portola? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________________> > Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends.> > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?> ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_052008> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> >>

              • Linda
                Message 7 of 9 , May 19 11:41 AM
                  Yes, parents can file Williams Complaints for unsafe school
                  facilities. I believe parents should be asking the District for
                  recent structural reports that shows their schools are safe. I've
                  already posted much of the info on Adams and Portola and how they are
                  3 story concrete seismically challenged structures with a high
                  probability of collapsing during an earthquake.

                  You can request any documentation or copies of Williams complaints
                  already filed for Portola and Adams.

                  Request under Public Records Act 6250

                  Here are some resources to help file a Williams complaint or help
                  get information.

                  http://www.decentschools.org
                  http://www.decentschools.org/settlement_action.php

                  http://www.lccr.com/

                  http://www.aclu.org/

                  Please get involved.

                  Linda
                  ----

> [...]

                  State of California's May 19, 2006, determination that Portola is
                  unsafe, Karen Pfeifer later praised Dr. Harter for his letter, stating
                  it spread oil on the waters.? Thus, your proposed waiver should
                  include a waiver of negligent misrepresentation and fraud of any cause
                  of action against the District, Dr. Harter, and Karen Pfeifer.

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:

                  > How may more kids will parents allow to be put at risk.
                  >
                  > If the parents are truly concerned for their children's welfare they
                  would in mass parents rally to a Board meeting and state they want an
                  independent review to prove as inconclusively as possible that the
                  schools are safe and until that is done their children will not be in
                  school.

                  > It won't happen as parents love the free baby sitting services of

                  +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Seismic concerns for Portola Middle

                  > Can parents in the five schools deemed likely to collapse file
                  aWillaims complaint on school safety grounds? Can the district
                  supportwith evidence its assertion of seismic safety? We need to be
                  informed,not assured.Todd Groves--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com,
                  "reducingandreusing"<valerie.snider@> wrote:>> Maybe the parents
                  believe what Bruce Harter said in his letter of > Sept. 6, 2006. He
                  said (regarding seismic safety at Portola): "...be > assured that
                  Portola is a safe place for our 11-to-14-year old > students. The
                  current building meets the California code and the > Field Act
                  requirements for school facilities - which have much higher >
                  standards than residential construction."> > Any why did Bruce Harter
                  make that statement? Because a Board member > forced him to do so. And
                  he complied. So, all of you Bruce Harter > fans out there, who think
                  he's so great because he shows up at school > events, what is your
                  responce to that?> > > > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Kevin
                  Rivard <kfrivard@> wrote:> >> > > > Why should the Board be
                  motivated?> > > > The crushing of our own people on the Cypress
                  structure during the > Loma Prieta quake didn't change the seismic
                  policies of this > district. The report stating that Portola and Adams
                  are structurally > unsafe didn't motivate the Board.> > > > Why would
                  a few foreign students being buried alive in a school all > the way
                  around the world motivate them?> > > > My question is why do the
                  parents continue to send their children > to potential death traps?
                  The Board obviously does not give a rat's > butt and if the parent's
                  do not show any concern what so ever then > why should the Board?> > >
                  > Do not blame the Board, they are only following the parents lead. >
                  Think about it. Who has more responsibility for the childs safety? >
                  The Board or the parent? Is anyone showing concern for the children >
                  in your opinion?> > > > Kevin> > > > > > > > > > To: wccusdtalk@:
                  eefcc@: Thu, 15 May 2008 03:47:05 > +0000Subject: [wccusdtalk] Seismic
                  concerns for Portola Middle> > > > > > > > > > Does anyone think the
                  disaster in China will motivate the Board > tomove the kids out of
                  Portola? > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
                • Catherine Mercurio
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 25 9:53 AM
                    Please read today's article in the New York Times regarding the impact
                    of the quake in China on inadequately built schools. The real tragedy
                    is that government officials were aware of the inferior construction of
                    many of these schools.

                    INTERNATIONAL / ASIA PACIFIC | May 25, 2008
                    Grief in the Rubble: Chinese Are Left to Ask Why Schools Fell
                    <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/world/asia/25schools.html?ex=12123792\
                    00&en=339ae404a7c185be&ei=5070&emc=eta1>
                    By JIM YARDLEY
                    A staggering number of students died as schools collapsed in the May 12
                    earthquake, and grieving parents are speaking out about shoddy
                    construction.