Study Questions 'No Child' Act's Reading Plan

  • c_travlos
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2008
      Study Questions 'No Child' Act's Reading Plan
      Lauded Program Fails To Improve Test Scores
      By Maria Glod
      Washington Post Staff Writer
      Friday, May 2, 2008; Page A01

      "Students enrolled in a $6 billion federal reading program that is at
      the heart of the No Child Left Behind law are not reading any better
      than those who don't participate, according to a U.S. government report.

      The study released yesterday by the Department of Education's research
      arm found that students in schools that use Reading First, which
      provides grants to improve elementary school reading, scored about the
      same on comprehension tests as their peers who attended schools that
      did not receive program money."

      You can read the whole article here:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050101399.html

      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2008
        Cathy,
        Will this be on the next curriculum committee agenda? I think it should be.
        Tammy

        c_travlos <cbt@...> wrote:
[...]

        Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
        2668 Alhambra Way
        Pinole, CA 94564
        Home: 510-223-3857
        Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

        Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
        Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
        Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
        Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
        Pinole Valley High School: etree@...
        Pinole CARE: parents@...
        WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2008
          I think I'll send it to the board members and to Wendell Greer and Nia
          Radschichi, however you spell her name. We talked about it once at the
          academic subcommittee, but it was just Harlan Kerr tooting his own horn...
          Cathy

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2008
            I apologize for my flip remark, which could be seen as an insult aimed
            at Harlan Kerr. I would, however, like to see an objective presentation
            with actual data on the results of this program - given by someone who's
            job isn't tied to the success of the program.
            Cathy