Re: Excerpt CC Times Harter Salary 4/27/2006 $275K

  • Ralph Bedwell
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 12:08 AM
      That's outrageous! He makes as much as a supervisor in a big city fire
      department...

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...> wrote:

      > Apr. 27--The West Contra Costa school board named Bruce Harter
      > superintendent Wednesday, capping an eight-month national hunt for a
      > leader to run the county's second-largest school district.
      >
      > The 58-year-old takes the helm of the 32,000-student West Contra Costa
      > Unified School District July 3.
      >
      > He will make $225,000 a year in salary, said board President Charles
      > Ramsey. The four-year contract also gives Harter about $50,000 for
      > housing and car allowance, pension and other benefits, bringing his
      > total compensation close to $275,000, Ramsey said.

    • David Whitenack
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 10:33 AM
        No disrespect intended to big city fire department supervisors, but
        why wouldn't one expect the chief administrator of a large urban/
        suburban school district in an area with an extremely high cost of
        living to receive comparable compensation?
        I suggest that the focus on this issue is misplaced.
        Why do we as a state and a nation allot relatively little (e.g.,
        compared to military and prison expenditures) to education?

        David Whitenack
      • Eduardo
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 11:15 PM
          Likewise, when you compare the salaries of firefighters to teachers,
          the discrepancy also leaves one wondering why so little for education.

          Eduardo

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, David Whitenack <davidwhitnack@...>
          wrote:

          > No disrespect intended to big city fire department supervisors, but
          > why wouldn't one expect the chief administrator of a large urban/
          > suburban school district in an area with an extremely high cost of
          > living to receive comparable compensation?
          > I suggest that the focus on this issue is misplaced.
          > Why do we as a state and a nation allot relatively little (e.g.,
          > compared to military and prison expenditures) to education?
          >
          > David Whitenack

        • ios_lrh
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 6:48 AM
            Why so llittle for education?

            Because teaching has historically been the realm of women ....before you sigh and right
            this off, please think about this. Firefighters have historically been the breadwinners and
            have justified their salaries in a way that teachers have/had not been able to. The world
            of teaching has historically "belonged" to women (the classical *supplementary* income)
            and the industry has failed to catch up with the times in many ways.

            Even if the system wanted to catch up, the system of funding schools is so antiquated and
            out of whack with current needs, that we are essentially confined to operate like a 3rd
            world country....so much need, so little resources, and therefore the battles for the "food"
            ensue......

            ----lucia
            p.s. I personally feel Dr. Harter is earning every penny...... the breadth of his
            position/responsibilities is many jobs in one.....the way some of these board members
            spend our tax dollars, on the other hand......