Re: Letter to Editor - Wasting tax dollars

  • reducingandreusing
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29, 2008
      I agree with Robert Brower about wasting district money, and not just
      on hotels and meals.

      What does "celebrating" educational opportunities mean, anyway?

      Valerie

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@...> wrote:

      > Given the fact that about 44% of the students are Hispanic, I'm
      glad
      > that board members attended this conference. And I'm glad that they
      > stayed at the hotel with the vast majority of the other attendees.
      At
      > every conference I've attended it was the time outside the meetings
      and
      > talks that was the most valuable, where you had a chance to have
      > conversations with people dealing with similar issues and talk
      about the
      > big issues. You make contacts and start collaborations. That
      doesn't
      > happen when you're sitting in a meeting room. The board members who
      > attended were there on district business and business at
      conferences
      > doesn't stop when the last speaker stops talking; that's when the
      real
      > nuts and bolts business starts.
      > Cathy
      >

      > Linda wrote:
      > >
      > > This weekend in San Jose, the California School Boards Association
      > > will host the 17th annual Celebrating Educational Opportunities
      for
      > > Hispanic Students conference.
      > >
      > > Educators from California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas will
      attend.
      > > Most attendees from the East Bay will carpool each day to San
      Jose,
      > > taking advantage of the liberal, two-person car-pool lane on
      > > Interstate 680.
      > >
      > > Marching to the beat of a much different drummer, the West
      ContraCosta
      > > school board has voted to send Charles Ramsey and Madeline
      Kronenberg

      Message 2 of 15 , May 9, 2008
        Though I understand these are economically challenging times, we cannot close our doors completely to any training at all.

        We complain that our board members are not educated about this and that, so when they go and receive education to help them make better decisions about our school district everyone says that this is a waste of money. So let's close our eyes to the continually changing outside world and best practices on items as important as reaching out to a growing latino population and providing them with better education strategies and practices. Sometimes sending our board members may push our staff to adopt better programs for our kids.

        As for the luxury hotel statement, I have to shake my head. Anyone who goes to a conference knows that 5-star hotels drastically drop the cost of their rooms for conference participants. So don't distort the truth. And I forgot who mentioned the fact that most of the real talking happens in the lobby, the elevator, the hotel bar, and in the hotel restaurant. They are correct. This is where the networking really happens.

        Just like our teachers should receive professional training so should our administrators and our board members. How can we ever grow and improve if we never experience anything new or find out about new ideas.

        We can make one suggestion though. If we provide training to any individual in this district, then we need to have that person provide an accountability statement of what they did with this training. And that goes for all employees and school board members. The accountability statement can then be reviewed and evaluated as to whether this type of training would be useful in the future for others.
        Tammy Campbell

        Linda <lozito@...> wrote:
        This weekend in San Jose, the California School Boards Association
        will host the 17th annual Celebrating Educational Opportunities for
        Hispanic Students conference.

        Educators from California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas will attend.
        Most attendees from the East Bay will carpool each day to San Jose,
        taking advantage of the liberal, two-person car-pool lane on
        Interstate 680.

        Marching to the beat of a much different drummer, the West ContraCosta
        school board has voted to send Charles Ramsey and Madeline Kronenberg
        to the weekend conference and provide them with several nights'
        accommodation at a luxury five-star hotel in San Jose. So, thanks to
        the board, Ramsey and Kronenberg will have a long and very nice
        weekend getaway on your tax dollars.

        I believe that if Ramsey and Kronenberg want to spend the weekend in
        San Jose, they should pay their own hotel bill...
        ...Robert W. B...

        To read whole letter here is the link:
        http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8997473?IADID

        Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
        2668 Alhambra Way
        Pinole, CA 94564
        Home: 510-223-3857
        Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

        Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
        Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
        Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
        Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
        Pinole Valley High School: etree@...
        Pinole CARE: parents@...
        WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

      • Ralph Bedwell
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9, 2008
          Professional training is great in theory, and there may be professions
          where it has a huge positive impact, but my experiences with it in the
          field of education is that it is quite often (usually) lacking in
          substance and/or practicality of application. Our school district has
          spent enormous sums on training and consultants during the past
          decade, and in my opinion most of this has been money thrown down a
          rat-hole. Perhaps administration is different, but as far as teaching
          goes what makes one a better teacher is classroom experience, earnest
          self-application of intelligence-knowledge-research, and practical
          jobsite collaboration with peers (plus access to adequate resources,
          but that is probably another discussion).

          Education will only achieve the lofty goals that most people
          (including myself) expect of it when educators -- and I mean everyone
          from the teachers, administrators, etc., on down to the school board
          -- are treated as true professionals, with everything that the term
          implies (meaningful licensing, relative autonomy in which to work,
          professional-level compensation, extremely high expectations and
          accountability, first class resources, etc., etc.). Until then, we
          will just keep rolling the Sisyphean stone uphill, then jumping aside
          to avoid getting crushed as it tumbles back down again, repeated ad
          nauseum.

          Ralph

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
          <tammeracampbell@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Marching to the beat of a much different drummer, the West ContraCosta
          > school board has voted to send Charles Ramsey and Madeline Kronenberg
          > to the weekend conference and provide them with several nights'
          > accommodation at a luxury five-star hotel in San Jose. So, thanks to
          > the board, Ramsey and Kronenberg will have a long and very nice
          > weekend getaway on your tax dollars.
          >
          > I believe that if Ramsey and Kronenberg want to spend the weekend in
          > San Jose, they should pay their own hotel bill...
          > ...Robert W. B...
          >
          > To read whole letter here is the link:
          > http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8997473?IADID
          >

          > Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
          > 2668 Alhambra Way
          > Pinole, CA 94564
          > Home: 510-223-3857
          > Email: Tammera.Campbell@...
          >
          > Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:

        • c_travlos
          Message 4 of 15 , May 10, 2008
            If you listened to the board reports at Wednesday's meeting, you heard
            Madeline Kronenberg talk about this conference. She said they learned
            about new strategies for closing the achievement gap and for reducing
            the dropout rate among Hispanic students. And she said they formed
            relationships and alliances with board members from other school
            districts where they are having success so that they can learn some
            other ways of doing things and try some new things here. This doesn't
            sound like a waste of time or money to me.
            Cathy

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "reducingandreusing"

            Message 5 of 15 , May 12, 2008
              Well, this was the 17th annual conference. What has changed in 17
              years?

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c_travlos" <cbt@...> wrote:

              > If you listened to the board reports at Wednesday's meeting, you
              heard
              > Madeline Kronenberg talk about this conference. She said they
              learned
              > about new strategies for closing the achievement gap and for
              reducing
              > the dropout rate among Hispanic students. And she said they formed
              > relationships and alliances with board members from other school
              > districts where they are having success so that they can learn some
              > other ways of doing things and try some new things here. This
              doesn't
              > sound like a waste of time or money to me.
              > Cathy
              >

              > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "reducingandreusing"
              > <valerie.snider@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I agree with Robert Brower about wasting district money, and not
              just
              > > on hotels and meals.
              > >
              > > What does "celebrating" educational opportunities mean, anyway?
              > >
              > > Valerie
              > >

              > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Given the fact that about 44% of the students are Hispanic, I'm
              > > glad
              > > > that board members attended this conference. And I'm glad that
              they
              > > > stayed at the hotel with the vast majority of the other
              attendees.
              > > At
              > > > every conference I've attended it was the time outside the
              meetings
              > > and
              > > > talks that was the most valuable, where you had a chance to
              have
              > > > conversations with people dealing with similar issues and talk
              > > about the
              > > > big issues. You make contacts and start collaborations. That
              > > doesn't
              > > > happen when you're sitting in a meeting room. The board members
              who
              > > > attended were there on district business and business at
              > > conferences
              > > > doesn't stop when the last speaker stops talking; that's when
              the
              > > real
              > > > nuts and bolts business starts.
              > > > Cathy

              Association
              Opportunities
              > > for

              > > attend.
              > > Jose,

              > > ContraCosta
              > > Kronenberg

              > > in

            • petr_loubal
              Message 6 of 15 , May 12, 2008
                This whole issue is about to be resolved by rising fuel prices. No
                more junkets, for anybody, unless they pay for it on their own.
                Business travel will have to be for a clearly stated, cost-effective
                reason.

                The same, if not better, "educational & informational" benefits can be
                achieved via local teleconferencing at sites reachable by public
                transit- with initial reports down-loadable from one's home computer.
                This applies both to main and to "breakout" sessions.

                There still is of course value in face-to-face meetings. But much of
                that can be achieved by folks visiting central sites in connection
                with vacations, sabbaticals and longer term exchanges.

                Save money, reduce the carbon footprint, learn to appreciate your
                local parks and close-by attractions. Spend more time with your
                (grand) kids, dog, and neighbors at a local cafe or tavern.
                Every cloud has a silver lining!

                <valerie.snider@...> wrote:

                > Well, this was the 17th annual conference. What has changed in 17
                > years?
                >

                > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c_travlos" <cbt@> wrote:
                > >
                > > If you listened to the board reports at Wednesday's meeting, you
                > heard
                > > Madeline Kronenberg talk about this conference. She said they
                > learned
                > > about new strategies for closing the achievement gap and for
                > reducing
                > > the dropout rate among Hispanic students. And she said they formed
                > > relationships and alliances with board members from other school
                > > districts where they are having success so that they can learn some
                > > other ways of doing things and try some new things here. This
                > doesn't
                > > sound like a waste of time or money to me.
                > > Cathy
                > >

                > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "reducingandreusing"
                > > <valerie.snider@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I agree with Robert Brower about wasting district money, and not
                > just
                > > > on hotels and meals.
                > > >
                > > > What does "celebrating" educational opportunities mean, anyway?
                > > >
                > > > Valerie

                > > > glad
                > they
                > attendees.
                > > > At
                > meetings
                > > > and
                > have
                > > > about the
                > > > doesn't
                > who
                > > > conferences
                > the
                > > > real

                > Association
                > Opportunities
                > > > for

                > > > attend.
                > > > Jose,

                > > > ContraCosta
                > > > Kronenberg
                > nights'
                > thanks
                > nice

                > weekend
                > > > in

              • ios_lrh
                Message 7 of 15 , May 13, 2008
                  Good question.

                  What we really need now is to follow through and have our board members follow
                  through. In my old management days, we got these little junkets as perks, morale
                  boosters, recognition, status, etc. just as much as (if not more than) for education and
                  training.

                  The trick is in APPLYING the education and training or letting Madeline admit it was a
                  mistaken use of funds that she won't repeat during her term.

                  If Madeline Kronenberg said they learned about new strategies for closing the
                  achievement gap and for reducing the dropout rate among Hispanic students, then we
                  need her to follow through. Here is an example of what I mean by follow through:

                  1-get a report from her regarding the trip and the specific strategies (big picture)
                  2-have her/someone translate this goal into specific action items for the district (little
                  pictures)
                  3-have downtown follow through on the action items (implementation)
                  4-have someone check-in a time period later (1 trimester, 1 year, or whatever) and give
                  Madeline feedback (a volunteer group of district parents would ideally be
                  involved...headed by Antonio Medrano seems ideal...but I shouldn't speak for him)
                  5-tweek the big/small picture as necessary to ensure success for our district
                  6-inform the public (us) regarding the real closing of the achievement gap (hopefully) or
                  why it did not work so that we don't repeat the same mistakes a couple of political terms
                  later...

                  ...anything else is all talk and frankly not worth the money for students left remaining
                  hungry.........

                  So, Ms Kronenberg and Mr. Ramsey-when can we look forward to your plan of ACTION?

                  ----lucia

                • leona de ville
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 13, 2008
                    As you may know, today there was a gas leak at Downer Elementary, resulting from the demolition crew's hitting a gas line. There was a "shelter-in-place" order, and many students were taken home early. PG&E came and fixed the leak, and overall, things went smoothly. But some big questions remain:

                    Just as education has standards, so does the construction industry. I'd like to think that locating and turning off utilities before demolition is one of those standards.

                    A PG&E worker told me that the construction crew had removed the main valve that could otherwise have been used to shut off this leak in a more timely manner. Indeed, one would think that a gas line should have been shut off before work proceeded.

                    This is not a small matter; it could have been really bad. Anyone out there know more about what the standards are and who is doing or overseeing this type of work? Does the district have its own project managers?
                    ~~ Irene Thompson
                    Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
                    http://www.windowsvista.com/SP1?WT.mc_id=hotmailvistasp1banner
                  • Linda
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 14, 2008
                      I chatted with someone who attended this conference (with another friend) and they
                      believe that Mr. Ramsey did not attend any of the lectures or meetings. They believe he
                      spent his time there manning the NECA (National Electrical Contractors Association) booth.

                    • lbailey143@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 14, 2008
                        Makes you wonder who he really works for! He was the NECA 2006 Industry Partner of the year, recognized in the national report. This award ". . . recognizes the contributions of organization or individuals to the success of the electrical contracting industry through their decisions, action, or cooperation . . ." Add to this the fact that more than 60% of Ramsey's $132,000 campaign contributions in 2006 came from electrical contractors, with single source contributions as large as $30,000. Is it any wonder that he may have spent his time in San Jose with his "contractor buddies". After all, money talks! I guess Karen Pfeifer was telling the truth (obliquely) in January when she said at a board meeting that no one on the board has any "secret" friends. This relationship is right out in the open and in our faces.

                        From: "Linda" <lozito@...>

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 14, 2008
                          Irene you have asked good questions! Unfortunately this is the
                          fiasco of the entire Bond Program. To many hands are in it. WLC
                          and SGI were paid millions to manage the bond projects. That
                          failed!
                          I checked on WCCUSD WEB site and found this name and title (Bond
                          Regional Facilities Project Manager: Skip Przyborowski, (510) 307-
                          4548), perhaps if you have time and can call.

                          Also back in 2005 in the planning stages of Downer it was announced
                          that a pipeline was to close to the school and new schools are not
                          allowed to build that close to a pipeline. Board members questioned
                          this and were told they could get a WAIVER???? I was appalled! I'm
                          sorry I don't have the exact date of this meeting as it was so long
                          ago.

                          I do have a hand out from the 9/28/05 WCCUSD & BOC joint meeting
                          where it does mention pipelines as an issue, but does not specify
                          Downer.
                          Thank You for your concerns!
                          Jill Wolkenfeld

                          The following are some other clips from district documents that you
                          may find interesting.

                          West Contra Costa Unified School District 9 March 16, 2005
                          *CI E.16 Measure D Phase 1A and Downer Projects Geotechnical
                          Consultant
                          Comment:
                          The Board approved the contract for Geotechnical consulting services
                          with Alan Kropp and Associates at the meeting of January 19, 2005.
                          The Basic Services under this agreement included preliminary review
                          of the original Geotechnical reports prepared for these projects.
                          This review has now been completed and the consultant has
                          recommended additional services, as referenced under the original
                          Request for Proposal, to complete new geotechnical and geohazard
                          reviews for the secondary school projects and Downer Elementary.
                          Also, the Division of the State Architect and the California
                          Geological Survey are requesting substantial additional soils
                          investigations for these projects, prior to any project approvals.
                          Recommendation:
                          Approval

                          November 17, 2004 Approval of Design Phase Management contract with
                          Don Todd
                          Associates for Measure D projects –four secondary schools and
                          Downer Elementary.
                          $2,325,150

                          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, leona de ville <itinsn1987a@...>
                          wrote:

                          > As you may know, today there was a gas leak at Downer Elementary,
                          resulting from the demolition crew's hitting a gas line. There was
                          a "shelter-in-place" order, and many students were taken home early.
                          PG&E came and fixed the leak, and overall, things went smoothly. But
                          some big questions remain:

                          > Just as education has standards, so does the construction
                          industry. I'd like to think that locating and turning off utilities
                          before demolition is one of those standards.

                          > A PG&E worker told me that the construction crew had removed the
                          main valve that could otherwise have been used to shut off this leak
                          in a more timely manner. Indeed, one would think that a gas line
                          should have been shut off before work proceeded.

                          > This is not a small matter; it could have been really bad. Anyone
                          out there know more about what the standards are and who is doing or
                          overseeing this type of work? Does the district have its own project
                          managers?
                          > ~~ Irene Thompson
                          > Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista
                          Service Pack 1.
                          > http://www.windowsvista.com/SP1?WT.mc_id=hotmailvistasp1banner

                        • sunsetjill
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                              Thanks to those of you who tirelessly continue to go after these important
                              issues. I remember the pipe line. It is a highly pressurized pipeline that
                              runs down 18th Street. When we questioned the danger of building the entrance
                              of the school onto 18th, we were told that a concrete wall would be build
                              between the pipeline and the school. As if that would provide any protection
                              for a blast as large as the one in San Bruno. The Downer site required major
                              reinforcement to stabilize the soil; I wonder what is stabilizing the gas line
                              running under 18th St.?
                              http://www.eduardomartinez4richmond.net/index.html
                              As the parent of armies, war encourages debts and taxes, the known instruments
                              for bringing the many under the domination of the few. - James Madison