Re: Excerpt CC Times Harter Salary 4/27/2006 $275K

  • David Whitenack
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6 5:22 PM
      Thanks to Ms. Slamon for her response, with which I agree.
      It is true that we, the educational community of the WCCUSD, and all
      other recipients of state-funding in California currently face a very
      challenging budgetary climate. While we clearly must prioritize our
      internal spending, let's keep our eyes on the prize. State funding of
      schools has been entirely inadequate in the post-Prop. 13 era, i.e.,
      for the last 30 years or so. The general tax-cutting mania followed
      the passage of Prop. 13 has made it likewise impossible for public
      service providers to cope with the needs of their clientele. Just as
      intra-district bickering is counter-productive, similarly, we mustn't
      respond to this budget situation by pitting education against any of
      these social service providers whose clients have demonstrable unmet
      needs. Ultimately, the challenge is to raise state revenues for all
      while maintaining a favorable climate for business and tax-equity for
      citizens. So, let's brainstorm with the district, the PTA, the
      teachers' union (UTR) and the rest of our community (educational and
      beyond) to work towards positive solutions.
      Struggle on,
      David Whitenack, Parent
      Madera ES
      Portola MS
    • c_travlos
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9 9:30 AM
        I was curious about how we really compare to other districts so I did
        some checking. I must say, it's not so easy to find this information!
        I'm used to going to the district web page and having everything
        available and was amazed to find that we seem to be the only one to
        do that. Remember all that complaining we all did about wanting
        transparency and open communication? Well, our district seems to be
        the only one doing it.

        Here's what I've found, keeping in mind that this information comes
        from a variety of sources, including newspaper articles and board
        minutes, school accountability report cards, CDE, etc. Some of the
        numbers are approximate.

        WCCUSD: 23,068 students, 62 schools, total budget $230 million, supe
        salary $225,000
        Mt. Diablo: 35,000 students, 48 schools, total budget $281 million,
        supe salary $200,000
        SF: 55,497 students, 104 schools, total budget $345 million, supe
        salary $250,000
        Orinda: 1,909 students, 5 schools, total budget $22 million, supe
        salary $178,000
        Vallejo: 16,500 students, 24 schools, total budget $145 million, supe
        salary $171,500

        All districts in the bay area have superintendent salaries higher
        than the state average, but cost of living in the bay area is also
        higher than average. They all seem to be about the same amount above
        average for similar size districts.

        Looking at this, WCCUSD doesn't seem out of line. We also have a
        superintendent who earns every penny. How many times did we see Dr.
        Johnston at our schools? I never saw her at ECHS, never saw her at
        Portola, and only twice at Kensington – once when she was required to
        be at a meeting and once for a photo op. Dr. Harter is at our schools
        every week, talking to the students, talking to the parents, talking
        to the teachers. Those reports he gives at the board meetings are
        genuine; he's really at the school sites. Dr. Johnston never showed
        up at any meetings that involved parents, ever. Dr. Harter has been
        at both the district GATE meeting and the Academic Subcommittee
        meetings, and I'm sure at all the other committees, and was gracious
        and respectful and interested.

        Cathy

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, David Whitenack

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9 1:23 PM
          I would like to add that I saw and talked to Dr. Harter at the PVHS vs. Richmond varsity baseball game at Richmond last Friday afternoon. After talking to me, he then went over to see how the softball girls were doing.

          Dr. Harter has also attend football games, AASU Black History Month Celebration, countless music programs and many plays. I have seen him personally at these events and never once say Dr. Gloria Johnston show up at the school for the kids.

          The teachers and administrative staff at PVHS have had several visits from Dr. Harter and are quite impressed with him. He makes the connection. It is wonderful to finally have a leader in this district and he is worth every penny.

          May I also add that being the superintendent of this school district requires you to communicate and juggle relationships with five different city councils and city managers. Given city politics and the self interest those elected officials have for their cities, it is amazing that we have a leader who is actually working with the city councils to view all the children of West County as all of our children. Anyone who can inspire people to look beyond their own city limits is worth it to me because there are too many of us in this district who don't take the time to look at the big picture.

          Tammy Campbell

          <davidwhitnack@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to Ms. Slamon for her response, with which I agree.
          > It is true that we, the educational community of the WCCUSD, and
          all
          > other recipients of state-funding in California currently face a
          very
          > challenging budgetary climate. While we clearly must prioritize
          our
          > internal spending, let's keep our eyes on the prize. State funding
          of
          > schools has been entirely inadequate in the post-Prop. 13 era,
          i.e.,
          > for the last 30 years or so. The general tax-cutting mania
          followed
          > the passage of Prop. 13 has made it likewise impossible for public
          > service providers to cope with the needs of their clientele. Just
          as
          > intra-district bickering is counter-productive, similarly, we
          mustn't
          > respond to this budget situation by pitting education against any
          of
          > these social service providers whose clients have demonstrable
          unmet
          > needs. Ultimately, the challenge is to raise state revenues for
          all
          > while maintaining a favorable climate for business and tax-equity
          for
          > citizens. So, let's brainstorm with the district, the PTA, the
          > teachers' union (UTR) and the rest of our community (educational
          and
          > beyond) to work towards positive solutions.
          > Struggle on,
          > David Whitenack, Parent
          > Madera ES
          > Portola MS

          Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
          2668 Alhambra Way
          Pinole, CA 94564
          Home: 510-223-3857
          Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

          Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
          Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
          Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
          Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
          Pinole Valley High School: etree@...
          Pinole CARE: parents@...
          WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
        • Ralph Bedwell
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2008
            That's outrageous! He makes as much as a supervisor in a big city fire
            department...

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...> wrote:

            > Apr. 27--The West Contra Costa school board named Bruce Harter
            > superintendent Wednesday, capping an eight-month national hunt for a
            > leader to run the county's second-largest school district.
            >
            > The 58-year-old takes the helm of the 32,000-student West Contra Costa
            > Unified School District July 3.
            >
            > He will make $225,000 a year in salary, said board President Charles
            > Ramsey. The four-year contract also gives Harter about $50,000 for
            > housing and car allowance, pension and other benefits, bringing his
            > total compensation close to $275,000, Ramsey said.

          • David Whitenack
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2008
              No disrespect intended to big city fire department supervisors, but
              why wouldn't one expect the chief administrator of a large urban/
              suburban school district in an area with an extremely high cost of
              living to receive comparable compensation?
              I suggest that the focus on this issue is misplaced.
              Why do we as a state and a nation allot relatively little (e.g.,
              compared to military and prison expenditures) to education?

              David Whitenack
            • Eduardo
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2008
                Likewise, when you compare the salaries of firefighters to teachers,
                the discrepancy also leaves one wondering why so little for education.

                Eduardo

                wrote:

                > No disrespect intended to big city fire department supervisors, but
                > why wouldn't one expect the chief administrator of a large urban/
                > suburban school district in an area with an extremely high cost of
                > living to receive comparable compensation?
                > I suggest that the focus on this issue is misplaced.
                > Why do we as a state and a nation allot relatively little (e.g.,
                > compared to military and prison expenditures) to education?
                >
                > David Whitenack

              • ios_lrh
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2008
                  Why so llittle for education?

                  Because teaching has historically been the realm of women ....before you sigh and right
                  this off, please think about this. Firefighters have historically been the breadwinners and
                  have justified their salaries in a way that teachers have/had not been able to. The world
                  of teaching has historically "belonged" to women (the classical *supplementary* income)
                  and the industry has failed to catch up with the times in many ways.

                  Even if the system wanted to catch up, the system of funding schools is so antiquated and
                  out of whack with current needs, that we are essentially confined to operate like a 3rd
                  world country....so much need, so little resources, and therefore the battles for the "food"
                  ensue......

                  ----lucia
                  p.s. I personally feel Dr. Harter is earning every penny...... the breadth of his
                  position/responsibilities is many jobs in one.....the way some of these board members
                  spend our tax dollars, on the other hand......