[Fwd: Feb. 29 e-Weekly]

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2008
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Feb. 29 e-Weekly
      Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:17:27 -0800
      From: Ehara, Paul <PEhara@...>

      The complete version of the February 29 e-Weekly (with photos) is posted
      at http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/Communications/e-Weekly/2008/02_29.pdf.

      **

      * *

      *February 29, 2008 *

      www.wccusd.net <http://www.wccusd.net/> · e-Weekly archives:
      www.wccusd.net/Communications/e-Weekly/index.shtml
      <http://www.wccusd.net/Communications/e-Weekly/index.shtml>

      * *

      * *

      *“Where I’m From” Project reception happens this Sunday*

      * *

      [Graphic: Where I’m From postcard]

      *The opening* *reception* for the “Where I’m From” exhibit of works by
      Richmond High School students will be held on Sunday, March 2 at the
      Richmond History Museum. The reception begins at 2:00 p.m.

      Students from teacher Byrne (Buzz) Sherwood’s ninth-grade cultural
      geography class participated in the project in the spring of 2007. After
      receiving instruction in interview techniques, their job was to
      interview members of their own families or community members they were
      paired with. The exhibit will display student poems and writings that
      were inspired by those interviews, accompanied by the photographs of
      Ruth Morgan.

      “The project was a great opportunity for the students to do something
      creative,” said the students’ teacher, Mr. Sherwood. “From a social
      science standpoint, it put them in touch with their own stories as human
      beings, and it gave them a context for how their stories fit into the
      larger picture. Each of us has our own history which makes studying
      history more interesting and more real,” Mr. Byrne added. “For example,
      the African American migration to the Kaiser shipyards in Richmond is
      just a fact until you talk to someone in your family who did that and
      says, ‘We played our own part in this small piece of history.’”

      The exhibit will feature the works of Jorge Argueta, Miko Brice, Tamika
      Brown, Marvin Click, Jr., Adam Doty, Bianca Charles, Stephanie
      Hernandez, Jessica Moreida, Francisco Narvarro, Jennifer Rojas, and
      Adela Romero. The exhibit will run through May 4 at the Richmond Museum
      of History, 400 Nevin Avenue, Richmond.

      The Where I’m From project is a collaborative effort of Summer Brenner,
      Ruth Morgan, and the non-profit organization Community Works, made
      possible by a grant from The Christensen Fund.

      * *

      *You Make A Difference Awards*

      *Join the Community* Advisory Committee for Special Education, Master of
      Ceremonies Tom Vacar of KTVU, and Keynote Speaker Darlene Jones in
      honoring and celebrating the contributions of some of the amazing
      individuals who work with our children every day. The You Make a
      Difference Awards ceremony takes place on Thursday, March 6, from 7:00
      to 9:00 p.m. at DeJean Middle School, 3400 Macdonald Avenue in Richmond.
      A reception will follow the awards program.

      *Upcoming student art shows*

      Portola art classes will have their third annual art show at the M.C.
      Gallery, 10344 San Pablo Avenue in El Cerrito from March 7-15. The
      exhibit reception will be held on Friday, March 7 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
      The show will feature papier-mache masks by 6th, 7th and 8th grade
      students in Mrs. Wehrle’s art classes. The gallery is open Wednesday
      through Saturday, noon to 5:00 p.m.

      And mark your calendars for the 43rd Annual District Art Show that will
      be held from April 4-25 at the Richmond Art Center (RAC). The show’s
      reception takes place on Friday, April 18 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m at the RAC.

      *School construction update*

      * *

      *Pinole** Middle School***

      * *

      /[Photos} Above: (left) Gymnasium, looking northwest; (right) breezeway
      to south classroom building. /

      /Right: Classroom prepared for cabinet installation and final finishing
      work./

      * *

      *Downer** Elementary School***

      /[Photo] Students on the yard at their new Downer Elementary School,
      which they moved into on February 25./

      * *

      * *

      *Helms** Middle School***

      /[Photo] Steel framing of classroom buildings, looking south./

      * *

      /[Photos] Steel, steel, everywhere! More views of structural framing:
      (left) looking southwest with gymnasium in background, and (right) a
      view of the gym looking east./

      * *

      *El Cerrito** High School***

      / /

      /[Photos] Above: Building A in progress. Below: (left) cafeteria entry;
      (right) entrance to lobby of main gym. //Photos: Lewis Brower, SGI/*//*

      * *

      * *

      *Board of Education meeting: March 3*

      * *

      The Board of Education will hold its regular meeting on March 3 at
      Lovonya DeJean Middle School. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m.

      * *

      * *

      *Upcoming committee meetings*

      * *

      Facilities Board Subcommittee: March 12

      Multilingual District Advisory Committee: March 13-14

      Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee: March 26

      Community Budget Advisory Committee: March 27

      GATE District Advisory Committee: March 31

      * *

      * *

      *New/updated on the district website*

      The following information is now available on the district website,
      www.wccusd.net <http://www.wccusd.net/>:

      § *What You’ve Told Us: Summary of input from the February community
      budget meetings—*

      www.wccusd.net/Fiscal/budget/2007-08/Community_mtg_input__master-02_28_08.pdf
      <http://www.wccusd.net/Fiscal/budget/2007-08/Community_mtg_input__master-02_28_08.pdf>**

      § *High school scholarship information as of February 27
      —*www.wccusd.net/scholarship_info/index.shtml
      <http://www.wccusd.net/scholarship_info/index.shtml>

      § *March 5 Board of Education meeting documents —*

      www.wccusd.net/board/calendar.shtml
      <http://www.wccusd.net/board/calendar.shtml>

      our mailing list to other employees, students, family members and
      community members. You are welcome to share information from this
      publication and the district website (_http://www.wccusd.net)_ through
      electronic communication and print publications.