Re: [wccusdtalk]Discussion re: Washington Elementary K-8

  • jim cowen
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 13, 2008
      Actually, I had no idea where C Slamon's kid goes. I should know better than to use a particular school as an example, because it opens tangents.
      C Slamon's response was very clear. She likes the dual immersion program, but dislikes the idea of making Washington K8 because that would reduce the number of available transfers.

      I think the assumption (right or wrong) is that making a school K8 means adding 2 or 3 more grade levels (6-7 or 5-6-7) while restricting the total school student count to the current level.

      I recall during the District K8 committee study the consensus was that the schools that were proposed for K8 would have an INCREASE in student population. Further, it appeared a significant portion of the increase would be from what we termed “recovered ADA”, meaning students who would have otherwise left the district (for private, Albany, Orinda, etc)

      Is it clear that making Washington K8 would mean fewer students in the lower grades? Or could it be that making Washington K8 would simply add a few more grade levels – with no effect on the available transfer slots?

      Jim

      rebecca494 <hrebwrite@...> wrote:
      Jim,

      No fair ganging up on C Slamon because her kid goes to Kensington. I
      am prone to that as well and I look at it as a fault of mine. There
      are two parts to my emotions on this: 1) I truly believe that what
      Kensington wants Kensington gets(and I think this holds true to this
      day). But going to Kensington is not always what is best for every
      student, and not sending one's kid to Kensington is not denying them
      the best education they can get. And, I understand that the current
      funding crisis is going to make that distinction even greater, but I
      do believe in self-reliance and I hope our teachers do as well. Our
      glass is half empty or it is half full. Schools that have less than
      Kensington are not necessarily inferior schools.

      2) When I was given the opportunity of sending my oldest son to
      Kensington instead of Harding I turned it down. In those days (1986)
      the RUSD was largely class based and we entered our oldest son in
      Harding, our neighborhood school. When my ex-husband got on the SSC
      there was an outcry from some of the dominant parents that some high
      and mighty lawyer was trying to take over the school. What they didn't
      realize was that I was in the office and overheard this discussion.

      When my ex called Dave Taylor to complain about Harding, the then
      Deputy Superintendent, he said you folks might be happier up at
      Kensington. He thought we wanted to get into a white collar school,
      but what he didn't understand was that what we were complaining about
      was the low expectations of the school, not it being a blue collar
      school. The SSC had refused to accept the UCB Science curriculum
      because it was not appropriate for the school.

      My instinct was no. My sister had enrolled my nephew some years back
      at Kensington and found it unbelievably elitist. She was by then a
      single mom.

      But, I didn't want my son to stay at Harding. There was all sorts of
      evidence of class based inequities in the curriculum that were
      approved by the parents and teachers. They weren't going to give the
      kids the kind of education I thought was essential for all kids. So we
      picked Madera. By the time my second son was ready for kindergarten
      thank God Harding had grown and changed and was a much less class
      based school.

      I know I love anecdotal stuff and probably bore you with my
      experiences, but my point is that while Kensington might have a
      foundation and raise extra money above what all other schools in our
      district can raise it is not necessarily the best place for all
      students. Also, sometimes we have to let there be different
      educational school choices. Never should there be the kind of choices
      that had to be made back in the 80's, but just because a school has a
      foundation doesn't make it the best school.

      Rebecca Hazlewood

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

      > I think I disagree (but I'm a bit confused).
      >
      > On the one hand, you said you spoke against the K8 and expansion
      of the dual immersion at Washington.

      > But you said you "do think dual immersion program is a great idea."
      >
      > But you added that when you wanted it for your daughter you
      couldn't get it. And you add that if they want to "expand the
      program, they ought to expand it to more elementary schools."

      > I can't believe you mean that you like it, but don't wan't it for
      any other kids since your kid couldn't get it. That's what your
      message implies, but is that what you really meant?

      > It can't be that you only want it if every kid can get it? That
      would mean we have to take away every advantage that any kid has and
      lower each student to the lowest common denominator. Did you mean that?

      > It's not fair that Kensington students benefit from a PTA that
      raises huge amounts of money when other schools can't, so we should
      ban that PTA from donating any money to the school?

      > It sounds like the old adage that no one should start to eat until
      everyone is served. Works fine at a table of 6. But at a banquet for
      100 it would mean that half the crowd will be eating cold food.

      > If, as you say, you LIKE dual immersion, then for goodness sakes
      support it for the kids at Washington.

      > And, by the way, not to pick on just one person – the overwhelming
      sentiment that seemed to flow from my TV screen during the board
      meeting was "I don't want anything good for Washington unless my
      school gets it too".

      > That really disappointed me.
      >
      > Jim Cowen
      >

      > c slamon <cslamon@...> wrote: I don't know who you are or
      why you are so angry at me but I was not trying

      Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wccusdtalk/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnaHIyMTBqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMTc4MTY3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTk0NjU5MARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjAyODYzNjg3>

      today!<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oik7e14/M=493064.12016251.12445659.9706570/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=1txYDULaX.I-/J=1202863687637275/A=5008813/R=0/SIG=11191fg3c/*http://beta.kickstart.yahoo.com>

      Moderators<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oclrs5i/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=2NxYDULaX.I-/J=1202863687637275/A=5191954/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/>

      > > on the Yahoo!
      > >
      > > Groups team blog.
      > > .

    • c slamon
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 13, 2008
        I am taking my information directly from the school board packet for
        the February 6, 2008 meeting. The second paragrapgh in the agenda on
        item F1 says, "While Washington is currently at or near its student
        enrollment capacity, the Board could consider making Washington K-8
        for the dual immersion program by either repurposing two rooms at the
        school or by reducing, over time, the number of transfers to
        Washington for students not in the dual immersion program. Moving
        relocatable classrooms to the Washington site would be both costly and
        take away from the playground space there. To be successful, a K-8
        program at Washington would have to be budget neutral, that is, the
        cost per student for educating 7th and 8th graders could not exceed
        the cost at other middle schools. Thus, the school program would be
        more like an elementary K-8 than the mixed program at Stewart which
        offers many opportunities available at other middle schools.

        Not that it really matters but, I live in Richmond Annex and my child
        is a 6th grader at Portola Middle School, my neighborhood middle
        school. I chose Madera Elementary over Kensington when I applied for
        a transfer from Fairmont, the year before my child started
        kindergarten. Madera only goes through 5th grade and my child was
        more than ready to start middle school this year. As I stated
        earlier, we have been very happy with the programs at Portola and I
        will continue to support the middle school programs in our school
        district.

        Christina Slamon

      • rebecca494
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 14, 2008
          Christina,

          Do you ever wonder if the buildings at Portola are safe and could
          survive an earthquake?

          Rebecca Hazlewood

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c slamon" <cslamon@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > I have always supported our middle schools and I will continue to
          > > support
          > > > our middle schools. Portola has been offering great programs to
          my child
          > > > and we have been very happy with the education that we are receiving
          > > at that
          > > > school.
          > > >
          > > > Christina Slamon

          today!<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oik7e14/M=493064.12016251.12445659.9706570/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=1txYDULaX.I-/J=1202863687637275/A=5008813/R=0/SIG=11191fg3c/*http://beta.kickstart.yahoo.com>

          Moderators<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oclrs5i/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=2NxYDULaX.I-/J=1202863687637275/A=5191954/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/>

        • ladyluvslife67
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 14, 2008
            Ok, so did the discussion get killed about expanding the Dual
            Imersion program for Washington School or not?

            What happens to my nephews who are currently at Washington in the
            3rd and 1st grade -NOT DUAL IMERSION? What happens to those kids
            if Dual Imersion is expanded? How is the funding received to do
            this kind of thing?

            English Learner monies are used for this?
            I didn't get it when I was on the SSC
            and I don't get it now
            AMEDINA

> [...]
            > > the gated
            > > > communities of Marina Bay. If we had more students learning
            both English
            > > > and Spanish in elementary schools, it will advance all of our
            language
            > > > programs at the secondary level.
            > > >
            > > > I have always supported our middle schools and I will continue
            > > support
            > > > our middle schools. Portola has been offering great programs to
            my child
            > > > and we have been very happy with the education that we are
            receiving
            > > at that
            > > > school.
            > > >
            > > > Christina Slamon

            aHIyMTBqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMTc4MTY3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTk0NjU5MA
            RzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjAyODYzNjg3>

            3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwMTc4MTY3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTk0NjU5MARzZWMDdnRsBHNsa
            wN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEyMDI4NjM2ODc->

            > > today!
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oik7e14/M=493064.12016251.12445659.9706
            570/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=1txYDULaX.I-
            /J=1202863687637275/A=5008813/R=0/SIG=11191fg3c/*http://beta.kickstart
            .yahoo.com>

            Groups<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13p6f1u01/M=493064.12016300.1244569
            2.11323196/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=19xYDU
            LaX.I-
            /J=1202863687637275/A=5170419/R=0/SIG=11b5gu1oe/*http://new.groups.yah
            oo.com/specialKgroup>

            Moderators<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oclrs5i/M=493064.12016258.125
            82637.8674578/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=2Nx
            YDULaX.I-
            /J=1202863687637275/A=5191954/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http://www.ygroupsblo
            g.com/blog/>

          • ladyluvslife67
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 14, 2008
              Mr. Cowen,
              I would like to see more data on how solid the program is first.

              At the mandated presentation of the progress of our English Learners,
              the English Learner Dept made to our board last year - I personally
              went to see what they would discuss about the Dual Imersion Program,
              and maybey see some data then. I actually made public comment on
              the item.

              If the program is solid Mr. Cowen, then like Dave Brown said it
              should be able to be replicated and offered at all of our schools
              if they chose.

              AMEDINA

            • ladyluvslife67
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 14, 2008
                This report was heard by our school board
                On May 16, 2007. It shows my name speaking about
                the Dual Imersion Program at Washington School.

                If you listen to the audio, what I said was where
                was the data and why wasn't this spoken of in detail
                by those people who gave the report.

                AMEDINA

                --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "ladyluvslife67"
                <ladyluvslife@...> wrote:

> [...]
                rt
                > .yahoo.com>
                > > >
                > > > new professional
                > > >
                > > > network from Yahoo!.
                > > > Weight Loss Group
                > > >
                > > > on Yahoo!

                Groups<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13p6f1u01/M=493064.12016300.1244569

                2.11323196/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=19xYDU
                > LaX.I-
                > /J=1202863687637275/A=5170419/R=0/SIG=11b5gu1oe/*http://new.groups.y
                ah
                > oo.com/specialKgroup>
                > > >
                > > > Get support and
                > > >
                > > > make friends online.
                > > > Find helpful tips
                > > >
                > > > for

                Moderators<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oclrs5i/M=493064.12016258.125

                82637.8674578/D=groups/S=1705946590:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1202870887/L=/B=2Nx

              • c slamon
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 14, 2008
                  This was only a discussion item, no vote was taken but my feeling was that
                  the 4 board members in attendance were not in support of this school
                  becoming a K-8 (Dave Brown was absent coaching a basketball game). So, my
                  understanding is that the dual immersion program is going to continue as it
                  currently is. How this affects the site funding at this school, I don't
                  know. Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you.

                  Christina Slamon