12494Re: Volunteer Fingerprinting requirements

  • Todd Groves
    Jan 14, 2011
      We started at volunteer program at ECHS that spans several districts. The fingerprinting need not happen for volunteers in a room with certified staff present in my understanding. Berkeley USD pays for background checks on all volunteers.

      The district takes an expansive view of who needs fingerprints. This can have a deterrent effect on getting volunteers.

      I urge the board to create a facilitative volunteer policy and seek external funding for associated costs.

      BTW, volunteers are needed to help students with writing and critical thinking skills. Learn more at http://www.writercoachconnection.org . Both Portola and Kennedy are seeking to create programs also. Anyone interested in helping them start, contact me.

      Todd Groves