12466Re: [wccusdtalk] Editorial: Sale of state buildings is a bad deal for California

  • Norma J F Harrison
    Nov 30, 2010
      Teachers are so indoctrinated with this system that they come to this
      preposterous conclusion.  They accept what they've been told by the Owners, that
      teachers own thinking.  Language has lost all meaning for teachers, and for all
      sales people.  This is caused by trying to hold on to their job - of purveying
      what is purported to be 'education', but is the opposite.
      Kids - a defiling term to begin with, - are children.  Students are all ages.
      All people think critically all the time.  Your negative opinion about their
      conclusions has you claiming they don't think.
      Your obligation to be arrogant about your place on the intellectual ladder
      blocks your view of this.
      If you didn't own a segment of the misnamed process you would not have a
      material to get paid to distribute.
      Capitalism fucks you over every which way.
      And you keep letting it.

      Re the article: "he has proven that he can't be trusted to handle money. "
      He's handled/handling money - just not the way you/the author  (or I) agree he
      should.
      This is how capitalism works.  And Schwarzenner won't be remembered any
      differently from all the other servants to our owners, the people who exist in
      the comprador relationship, collecting our money to give to our Owners.

      Norma

      ________________________________

      From: c slamon cslamon@... To: wccusdtalk wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com Sent:
      Tue, November 30, 2010 4:48:00 PM Subject: [wccusdtalk] Editorial: Sale of state
      buildings is a bad deal for California

      He's handled/handling money - just not the way you agree he should.

      So, it's fitting that, as he prepares to leave office, he plans to
      sell off valuable state buildings to pay immediate bills.

      Unless a last-ditch legal effort to block the deal succeeds, the governor
      will unload 24 state buildings, including the Elihu Harris Building in
      Oakland; the Earl Warren Building in San Francisco, which houses the state
      Supreme Court; and the adjacent Hiram Johnson Building. All three were built
      or renovated just a little more than a decade ago.

      It's a horrible transaction under which the state would receive money up
      front from the sale of the buildings, but would then have to lease back the
      properties so it has a place to put its workers. Over 35 years, the net cost
      to the state, in today's dollars, would be about $1.4 billion, according to
      the non-partisan state Legislative Analyst's Office.

      Put another way, it's like taking out a mortgage at a 10 percent annual
      interest rate to pay your current bills. But, at the end of it all, once the
      loan is paid off, you still lose the property. The state will be left with
      nothing, with no place for its employees when the deal expires. It will have
      lost the buildings themselves and the prime real estate on which they sit.

      It's a shameful legacy. Our children and grandchildren will remember
      Schwarzenegger as the state leader who came into office, immediately plunged
      the state billions of dollars deeper into debt by rolling back the car tax,
      and then spent the next seven years developing budgeting schemes to paper
      over the damage.

      He will leave office with the state broke -- in far worse shape than when he
      came in. And, in one of his final acts, he plans to sell off buildings that
      will surely be needed in years to come.

      He will be remembered as the governor who sold off the state's assets and
      strapped future generations with increased costs.

      It's the height of irresponsibility. We can only hope that Schwarzenegger
      suddenly develops some common sense, or the legal challenge to the deal
      succeeds.

      The lawsuit claims the state needs the approval of the state Judicial
      Council before it sells off buildings that house the courts.

      Superior Court Judge Charlotte Woolard will hear the case Dec. 10 in her San
      Francisco courtroom. Unless she intervenes, the properties will be lost on
      Dec. 15. Schwarzenegger leaves office on Jan. 3 to return to his life of
      wealth. The rest of us will be stuck paying the bills.

      It's a lousy script. A real action hero would do better.....
      Todd,
      no wonder our kids can't think critically, look at some of their role
      models.  This budget mess is going to continue to affect our children's
      education and I hope our leaders (both elected and non-elected) are ready
      for it.  We've got some tough decisions to make.

      Editorial: Sale of state buildings is a bad deal for California
      MediaNews editorial

      GOV. ARNOLD Schwarzenegger came into office promising to cut up the state's
      credit card. Instead, he has proven that he can't be trusted to handle
      money.