11948Re: NYTimes.com: Obama to Seek Sweeping Change in 'No Child' Law

  • annpalmer8
    Feb 11, 2010
      In the way our district currently work, I can understand why you see it playing out this way. Depending on the detail of what is guaranteed funding and what's discretionary funding based on performance, I'd like to see some leadership to go after more dollars. Why surrender our district to be victims? I hope this spurs more coordinated effort to go after the extra money.

      Entitlement attitude is a possibility. Why rock the boat if you're guaranteed an existence, even if one where you're just scraping by? Clearly, no amount of parental input is getting our district to want to rock the boat. Maybe federal money would.

      And I personally don't understand the big fear in measuring teacher performance. Unless the law is just prescriptive and rigid, with no input from parents, educators and researchers; I think we can come up with something that measures how well our education system serves our children.

      At the end of the day, if we have teachers who are not "meeting the mark". To allow them continued protection from no measurement is an atrocity to our children. The measurement could ensure more candid discussion about best fit for our teachers (afterall, just because you can't teach 6th grade may not mean you can't be a good 2nd grade teacher; as an example), as well as training needs to ensure teachers are living to their fullest potential - so that they can help our children reach theirs.

      If we all share the common goal - to prepare each and every child for a successful future, whatever professional that may be in - we can develop measurements to achieve that rather than feeling like it's just penalizing our teachers.

      Ann