11084Re: Interesting articals students of color and drop out rates

  • reducingandreusing
    May 19 12:56 PM
      Here's an article about WCCUSD's own Wendell Greer, and how he deceived people into thinking drop out rates at the LA school where he was principal had declined:

      http://www.laweekly.com/2002-07-25/news/degrees-of-deceit/1

      Valerie

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...> wrote:

      > The statistics released by the Department of Education report that approximately 1 in 5 high school students drop out over the course of high school, while the University of California's UCACCORD reports that only 1 of 2 students of color in West Contra Costa Unified graduate from high school and that these dismal statistics are similar in Oakland Unified. Until we have a common formula with individual student information over a four year period, we will continue to see a wide discrepancy in drop out rates.
      > By Lonie Hannock
      > Read more
      >
      > http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2009/05/high_school_dro.html
      >
      > Another artical by Kimberly Wetzel at:
      > http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2009/05/high_school_dro.html
      >
      > excerpt:
      > Associate Superintendent Wendell Greer attributed the improvement to staff's efforts in following up on students' whereabouts and reaching out to at-risk teens.
      >
      > "Adults are making the difference and making sure our kids are staying in school," Greer said.
      >
      > West Contra also saw significant decreases in dropout levels for various ethnic groups. In 2006-07, 41.5 percent of African-American students dropped out, but last year that figure fell to 29.1 percent. Similar patterns follow for the district's Latino students: In 2006-07, the rate was 39.4 percent. Last year it fell to 22.3 percent.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic