11082Re: correction URL

    May 18, 2009
      Sorry I gave the incorrect URL for Wetzels artical
      Another artical by Kimberly Wetzel at:

      http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_12352222?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com
      excerpt:
      Associate Superintendent Wendell Greer attributed the improvement to staff's
      efforts in following up on students' whereabouts and reaching out to at-risk
      teens.

      "Adults are making the difference and making sure our kids are staying in
      school," Greer said.

      West Contra also saw significant decreases in dropout levels for various ethnic
      groups. In 2006-07, 41.5 percent of African-American students dropped out, but
      last year that figure fell to 29.1 percent. Similar patterns follow for the
      district's Latino students: In 2006-07, the rate was 39.4 percent. Last year it
      fell to 22.3 percent.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...> wrote:

      > The statistics released by the Department of Education report that approximately 1 in 5 high school students drop out over the course of high school, while the University of California's UCACCORD reports that only 1 of 2 students of color in West Contra Costa Unified graduate from high school and that these dismal statistics are similar in Oakland Unified. Until we have a common formula with individual student information over a four year period, we will continue to see a wide discrepancy in drop out rates.
      > By Lonie Hannock
      > Read more
      >
      > http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2009/05/high_school_dro.html
      >
      > Another artical by Kimberly Wetzel at:
      > http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2009/05/high_school_dro.html
      >
      > excerpt:
      > Associate Superintendent Wendell Greer attributed the improvement to staff's efforts in following up on students' whereabouts and reaching out to at-risk teens.
      >
      > "Adults are making the difference and making sure our kids are staying in school," Greer said.
      >
      > West Contra also saw significant decreases in dropout levels for various ethnic groups. In 2006-07, 41.5 percent of African-American students dropped out, but last year that figure fell to 29.1 percent. Similar patterns follow for the district's Latino students: In 2006-07, the rate was 39.4 percent. Last year it fell to 22.3 percent.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic