Re: WBAI Budget Wish

  • James Ross
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2005
      Baruti,

      Thanks for asking.

      My one wish is that the listener support line be set at about $2.2
      million**. Based on the station's experience in the past several
      years, this is what we can realistically expect WBAI's listeners to
      provide.

      The FY 2005 listener support line is $2.765 million, which is so high
      it forces the station to fundraise endlessly, which is
      counterproductive in the long run -- it drives away potential
      listeners. the evidence shows that the station is in a downward spiral
      . In FY 2004 it took 91 days of fundraising to raise the required
      amount. FY 2005 will likely take more, as we are at least $500,000
      away from raising $2.765 million and have already done 76 days.

      And over the last 12 days of the latest drive, the pledging rate
      averaged less than $20,000/day. this low level, sustained over such a
      long period of a major drive, has not been seen since the Utrice days.

      this dramatic falloff means listeners are telling us they have had it.
      This is a very dangerous thing for WBAI. Listeners' good will is what
      supports us.

      ** $2.2 million is based on

      $40,000/day in pledges times 78% fulfillment times 70 fundraising days

      Even 70 days is a lot. right now we are at 76 for FY 2005.

      time for people to get their heads out of the sand.

      Jamie

      --- In wbailsbfinance@yahoogroups.com, Baruti Bediako <bnbediako@b...>
      wrote:
      > I have not gotten any feed back from our LSB or Finance committee
      members in
      > terms of a wish list but from my perspective we need a Development
      Director