Re: We need to see that draft budget now, not next Wednesday.

  • Frank LeFever
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      I'm talking about the draft of the WBAI "proposed budget" which we
      should have seen and started reviewing at our pior _local_ meeting,
      at 120 Wall Street.

      We will need _many_ reviews, _many_ meetings and much back-&-forth
      with Indra to get something realistic and honest to the LSB, for the
      LSB to approve and submit to the national office an the PNB.

      Every thing Lonnie Hicks does to delay or impede or "detour" this
      process pushes us into a last-minute "rubber-stamp" of whatever it
      is he wants in that budget. Whether it be items hidden in catch-all
      categories (cf. still-lingering questions about "consultants,
      contractors, vendors") or unwarranted assumptions ("we will get 10%
      more listener contributions next year than we did last year").

      --Frank

      --- In wbailsbfinance@yahoogroups.com, David Combs <dkcombs@p...>
      wrote:
      > On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 05:07:07AM -0000, Frank LeFever wrote:
      > > It's bad enough that Lonnie has already delayed our beginning an
      > > inspection of the draft of the proposed budget.
      > >
      > > I, for one, will not tolerate our being given it at the last-
      minute,
      > > in the meeting, and rushed through our inspection of it.
      > >
      > > I did not sign up to be a rubber-stamp.
      > >
      > > --Frank
      > >

      > Frank -- I missed the webcast yesterday (I assume that's
      > what you are talking about) -- so I really don't understand
      > your email.
      >
      > Not only to give us the context for understanding *your*
      > email, but to fill in the (many?) of us who missed
      > the PNB Finance-Committee webcast, maybe *you* could
      > give us the highlights?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > David
    • James Ross
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        --- In wbailsbfinance@yahoogroups.com, "Frank LeFever"
        <fflefever@y...> wrote:
        > I'm talking about the draft of the WBAI "proposed budget" which we
        > should have seen and started reviewing at our pior _local_ meeting,
        > at 120 Wall Street.

        Hi,

        I have not been able to make finance committee meetings this year.

        I am very interested in the the "listener support" income line in the
        proposed FY 2006 budget for WBAI. I certainly hope it is less than the
        $2.765 million in the FY 2005 budget.

        To raise that money, WBAI has had to fund raise 76 days so far this FY
        and likely is still $500,000 or more short. That means weeks more
        fundraising to come this summer.

        Such excessive fundraising is neither sustainable nor healthy.

        Also I am curious -- has income from the phone solicitation campaign
        of earlier this year been reported?

        Thanks

        Jamie
      • David Combs
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2005
          On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 07:29:08PM -0000, Frank LeFever wrote:
          > I'm talking about the draft of the WBAI "proposed budget" which we
          > should have seen and started reviewing at our pior _local_ meeting,
          > at 120 Wall Street.
          >
          > We will need _many_ reviews, _many_ meetings and much back-&-forth
          > with Indra to get something realistic and honest to the LSB, for the
          > LSB to approve and submit to the national office an the PNB.
          >
          > Every thing Lonnie Hicks does to delay or impede or "detour" this
          > process pushes us into a last-minute "rubber-stamp" of whatever it
          > is he wants in that budget. Whether it be items hidden in catch-all
          > categories (cf. still-lingering questions about "consultants,
          > contractors, vendors") or unwarranted assumptions ("we will get 10%
          > more listener contributions next year than we did last year").
          >
          > --Frank

          Thanks, Frank, for the explanation.

          But I have one correction (busybody me!) to make to your
          spelling: your quoted term, '"detour"', is, to my mind, incorrect,
          what with my having been listening-to/watching wbai/pacifica for
          some years now, both with and without the period of formal "hijacking":
          to me, a better choice of word would, I think, be "sabotage", a word
          originally coming from the French (said, these days, by the powers
          that be, to be good at such things). :-)

          David