Agenda items: GIGO and "expenses".

  • Frank LeFever
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
      GIGO is the acronym for "Garbage In, Garbage Out". Repeatedly we
      are asked to review and approve (without unwrapping them) various
      packages: "expenses", "maintenance", "consultants", etc. We are
      asked to make judgments on the accuracy or reasonableness of broad
      categories with no way of knowing what they in fact contain (in
      specific detail) or the validity of assertions that they
      are "necessary".

      Until we are permitted to see details of what is lumped together
      this way, we cannot be confident that the constraints we are asked
      to accept when making our budget recommendations or judgments are
      appropriate. Until we are assured that there is no "garbage" among
      the details, there is a possibility that the "big picture"
      is "garbage".

      One case in point is the strange parallel between gross receipts and
      expenses in two consecutive radiothons, despite the gross receipts
      differing by an order of magnitude betwen 2003 and 2004. Normally,
      one might expect expenses to be a fixed percent of gross receipts if
      there is an obvious quid pro quo: e.g. more door-bells rung, more
      donations. However, it is not clear that the 2003 radiothon and the
      2004 radiothon differed in what personnel had to do in producing
      these events. This gives an unfortunate appearance of expenses
      rising to meet available funds. In the case of the 2004 event, they
      could not rise far, but even so rose beyond gross receipts (hence a
      net loss).

      What can we learn about "expenses" and "fund raising" categories in
      WBAI budgets by examining these specific cases in detail?

      Proposed agenda items:

      I. Moved, that management be instructed to disclose to all WBAI
      members each case of payments other than salaries to regular staff,
      including the names of all "consultants, contractors, and/or
      vendors" receiving payments in FY 2004, the amounts, the dates, and
      the purposes for which payment was made.

      II. Moved, that management be directed to disclose full details of
      expenses for the radiothons of 2003 and 2004, including amounts paid
      to specific individuals and the stated purpose of each payment.

      --Frank
    • David Combs
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
        On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:56:18AM -0000, Frank LeFever wrote:

        > GIGO is the acronym for "Garbage In, Garbage Out". Repeatedly we
        > are asked to review and approve (without unwrapping them) various
        > packages: "expenses", "maintenance", "consultants", etc. We are
        > asked to make judgments on the accuracy or reasonableness of broad
        > categories with no way of knowing what they in fact contain (in
        > specific detail) or the validity of assertions that they
        > are "necessary".
        >
        > Until we are permitted to see details of what is lumped together
        > this way, we cannot be confident that the constraints we are asked
        > to accept when making our budget recommendations or judgments are
        > appropriate. Until we are assured that there is no "garbage" among
        > the details, there is a possibility that the "big picture"
        > is "garbage".

        George Bush, via an incredible series of lies, and with
        the active assistance of the media in propagating
        and giving credence to these lies ("the newspaper of record"),
        managed to WIN the nov2004 election. (Plus via some no little
        fraud and other criminal behavior in Ohio, by his team.)

        So scientific *data* gets changed to support his other lies,
        govt web-sites forced remove data, etc, etc --

        and so what data can we get from them? Only LIES and MORE LIES.

        (Plus, we citizens are supposed, via the constitution, to now
        BE IN CHARGE -- and yet congress, fully knowing via surveys what
        majority of citizens actually want, go do just the opposite.)

        And when we complain, we're told things like:

        . Why do you hate America?

        . We won the election, we have a mandate,
        so GET USED TO IT!

        --------

        I wonder just what parallel between the above and the situation
        here at WBAI.

        What, 30% maybe? (After all, we listeners *are* a progressive
        bunch, who *demand* transparency, truth, etc, huh?)

        Might it be 40%?

        What do *you* estimate it is?

        David :-(
      • David Combs
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
          On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:56:18AM -0000, Frank LeFever wrote:

          > Proposed agenda items:
          >
          > I. Moved, that management be instructed to disclose to all WBAI
          > members each case of payments other than salaries to regular staff,
          > including the names of all "consultants, contractors, and/or
          > vendors" receiving payments in FY 2004, the amounts, the dates, and
          > the purposes for which payment was made.

          As I recall, this was one of the suggestions I repeatedly
          made maybe 6 or 8 months ago. Plus, to put it all out
          on the net, where *all* of us could look at it, and
          use it however we wanted, to get our *own* summary and/or
          detail reports from it all.

          NEEDLESS TO SAY -- well, do I really need say?

          (It was clear even back that then that the powers-that-be
          were going to fight us (to the death, almost) over
          any item we wanted to get from "top mngt" (two people,
          that is).)

          David