WVN ALERT: Storm recovery update

  • waylandvoters1
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      Dear Wayland Voter,

      Town officials issued the following report this morning:

      Update – Friday, April 2, 9 a.m.

      It appears that the Sudbury River has crested, but because of volume of rainfall in the past month, it is unclear how quickly the flood waters will recede. Best information available to us indicates that the road closures and detours now in effect will continue through Tuesday, April 6. We encourage residents and visitors to plan accordingly. A reminder that it is critical that motorists observe the road closure and detours that are posted. In some cases, local traffic only is permitted to allow residents to access businesses or private homes. Do not move barricades – it all cases, you will not be able to pass through wet areas.

      The closure of Route 20 at the Wayland-Sudbury town line and the intersection of Route 20/126/27 means that the transfer station will be closed on Saturday, April 3. If we are able to reopen Route 20 by Tuesday, April 6, the transfer station will reopen. We will consider additional public hours next week once Route 20 is open based on the duration of the closure. Check the website for information next week.

      Wayland Public Library will remain closed until the flood waters recede and we are able to clean up the water and damage in the basement.

      For residents of Pelham Island Road, we have contracted the Duck Boat through the weekend. The duck boat will operate from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and the heavy-duty truck will operate from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday, April 3 and 4. Based on the river forecast, we will resume 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. duck boat service and 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. heavy-duty truck transports on Monday and Tuesday, April 5 and 6. When the water recedes sufficient to allow for school bus transport, we will discontinue the duck boats and switch over. Emergency personnel will be stationed in the neighborhood for the duration of the road closure.

      Part of Oxbow road is closed near house number 180. A foot of water is reported over the road.

      Listed below is a link to a Google map depicting road closings in the area. You may find it helpful for visually determing alternative routes.

      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109396601857444266536.000481f41a693a5943dbb&ll=42.391896,-71.356201&spn=0.101551,0.222645&z=13

      The Wayland Police Department page on Facebook will provide updates on any changes through the weekend. The Town website will be updated Monday, April 5.