529WVN ALERT: Astley memorial service

  • waylandvoters1
    Jul 15, 2011
      Dear Wayland Voter,

      The First Parish Church issued the following information about the memorial service at 11 a.m. Saturday July 16 for Lauren Astley, who was killed on July 4. Below that is a message to the community from the parents of the recent Wayland High School graduate.

      Lauren Astley's memorial service is an extraordinary moment for the First Parish congregation and our town. As you can imagine, there are many needs that must be balanced, including the wishes of Lauren's parents, the guidelines that the Police and Fire departments require us to follow, the very large number of people we expect will attend, and our physical space limitations. We want to share our plans in order to minimize any confusion or concerns on Saturday morning.

      Traffic conditions on Saturday morning will be very difficult, and there is no adequate parking in the town center for the number of people who will want to attend the service. For that reason, we encourage anyone who is within walking distance to travel on foot.

      For those who need to drive, we are very grateful that several other congregations have offered their parking lots for our use. These include the Boston Islamic Center of Wayland, Camp Chickami and Shir Tikva (east of the town center), St. Ann's church (south of the center) and the Trinitarian Congregational Church. The town will provide police traffic control and continuous shuttle bus service from the remote parking locations to the town center from 9:45 to 2:00.

      Parking at First Parish will be limited to members of the Dunne and Astley families and participants in the service. Therefore, there will be no parking available at First Parish that day.

      A map of the parking and shuttle bus service is available here:

      Seating for the service will be at three locations:

      The Sanctuary of First Parish (which will be fully occupied by the Dunne and Astley family and friends)

      The Vestry of First Parish (limited seating reserved for members of the First Parish congregation)

      The Trinitarian Congregational Church for additional First Parish members, townspeople, the high school youth, and the Wayland School Department and town staff.

      Visual and audio transmission of the memorial service will be provided to all locations so that attendees can participate equally in the worship service. The audio only will be projected outside First Parish for those who choose to remain outside.

      All are welcome and encouraged to attend the service.

      To Wayland Community Members:
      The outpouring of grief and support around Lauren's death has led to a good problem in that there simply is unlikely to be adequate space to bring us all together in a location with which we are familiar and comfortable on Saturday.

      Despite some generously donated and planned over-flow space, we may find on Saturday that the various facilities simply cannot accommodate all of the numbers of folks that the sadness and wonderful caring has drawn forward. We may end up as a large, slightly cumbersome crowd gathering together in town center, joined in grief and more important in celebration of Lauren and her spirit and in commitment toward good ends evolving from hard pain. That will be good, even if awkward. We look forward to doing the best we can to gather together in comforting each other, celebrating Lauren, and strengthening our approaches as communities.

      Malcolm Astley and Mary Dunne