Re: Dropping the Rudder

  • Rick and Ruth Bailey
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 3:36 AM
      George,

      I would love to see a photo of your boat's skegless rudder when you get it in the slings.

      Rick
      '81 w27 Deale MD

      --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "edwardsgeorge66" <edwardsgeorge66@...> wrote:

      > Jim, (and tks to Philip for his input) my setup is as Philip described. Rudder appears to be free hanging just behind a small skeg that extends part way down the front edge. Ain't got no stuffing box, just a large metal collar bolted to the rudder shaft just above the trunk. There is a plastic washer between the collar and the top of the trunk which I thing is to reduce friction. Pull that bolt and it looks like the rudder would drop away (OK, after removing the steering quad and the emergency tiller thru bolt). I do not know what type of strong point is at the lower end of the rudder trunk. Could be a bearing or just a collar, time will tell.
      > I'm already talking to boat yards about the process for pulling the rudder. Since digging holes in Key Largo can be an all day affair i am thinking of having the rudder ready to drop while still in the slings. Ah! The joys of boat ownership....
      > George

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 5:53 AM
        George what year did you say your boat is? I have never seen one like yours.
        Jim
[...]

      • Kevin Egolf
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7 6:10 AM
          I have an 81w27 as well and it just has a short skeg in front of the free
          hanging rudder as well. I think this must have been a design change as it
          seems to be consistent in the later year models

          Kevin

          klegolf@...

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7 7:03 AM
            My '78 also has a free hanging rudder. see attached old photo.

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7 6:24 PM
              Kevin,

              I didn't see a photo attached... I don't think you can attached photos this way. Rather, open a photo folder in the photo section and post one there.

              Everyone - Am I correct about the photo posting/attaching?

              Rick
              '81 w27 in Deale, MD

              --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Butts" <slb46@...> wrote:

              > My '78 also has a free hanging rudder. see attached old photo.

            • Steve Butts
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 8 7:54 AM
                Actually, that message was from me. I have now placed two photos of Ripple
                on stands in the folder Ripple on Stands (!) at the Yahoo site.

                Steve B.
                Ripple in Irvington, VA

                I didn't see a photo attached... I don't think you can attached photos
                this way. Rather, open a photo folder in the photo section and post one
                there.

                Everyone - Am I correct about the photo posting/attaching?

                Rick
                '81 w27 in Deale, MD

                --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Butts" <slb46@...> wrote:

                > My '78 also has a free hanging rudder. see attached old photo.

              • Jim
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 8 9:25 AM
                  Yes you are.
                  Jim
                  I didn't see a photo attached... I don't think you can attached photos this way. Rather, open a photo folder in the photo section and post one there.

                  Everyone - Am I correct about the photo posting/attaching?

                  Rick
                  '81 w27 in Deale, MD

                  --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Butts" <slb46@...> wrote:

                  > My '78 also has a free hanging rudder. see attached old photo.

                • edwardsgeorge66
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 8 1:22 PM
                    To the Group,
                    Many thanks for the info so far. I created a Photo album on the site with some pictures of the rudder area. Hope it helps clear up some confusion. Album name "81W27 Beyond Reach"

                    George
                    --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "Rick and Ruth Bailey" <rick_rew@...> wrote:

                    > Kevin,
                    >
                    > I didn't see a photo attached... I don't think you can attached photos this way. Rather, open a photo folder in the photo section and post one there.
                    >
                    > Everyone - Am I correct about the photo posting/attaching?
                    >
                    > Rick
                    > '81 w27 in Deale, MD

                  • Rick and Ruth Bailey
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 8 4:40 PM
                      Sorry Steve - I lost track of authorship through the string of posts.

                      Wow - your rudder is different. I wonder why Watkins changed the engineering. Mine is an 81 also, but has the lower bearing attached to the skeg.

                      Otherwise, nice looking boat. Are you in Virginia?

                      Rick

                    • Rick and Ruth Bailey
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 8 4:43 PM
                        Oh yes - now I see your signature from Irvington. We're 40 miles north up the bay from you.

                        Rick

                      • Steve Butts
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 10 6:02 AM
                          Rick:

                          Ripple is a 78 W27, pretty much in original condition, even with striped
                          wall covering in the head. She lives in Irvington, VA, off the Rappahannock
                          River. I live in Richmond, but have a cottage in Irvington. See you at the
                          Raft up?

                          Steve B.

                          Sorry Steve - I lost track of authorship through the string of posts.

                          Wow - your rudder is different. I wonder why Watkins changed the
                          engineering. Mine is an 81 also, but has the lower bearing attached to the
                          skeg.

                          Otherwise, nice looking boat. Are you in Virginia?

                          Rick

                          --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Butts" <slb46@...> wrote:

                          > Actually, that message was from me. I have now placed two photos of
                          Ripple
                          > on stands in the folder Ripple on Stands (!) at the Yahoo site.
                          >
                          > Steve B.
                          > Ripple in Irvington, VA

                        • Rick and Ruth Bailey
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 10 4:55 PM
                            Steve,

                            Mine's an '81 w/tiller. Just last year we painted over the striped wall covering! White is wonderful. We are slowly recovering the old Herculon cushion covers with sunbrella.

                            Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the raft up this year. I couldn't get away that week - the week prior would have been perfect!

                            Anyway, have a great time, all of you, at the raft up.

                            Rick in Washington DC