Cutlass bearing

  • Deryk
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi All,
      Well I got pulled out this weekend, and man was my prop covered in
      quater sized barnacles... well they noticed my cutlass bearing has
      moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of the
      Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does. Im
      guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass tube, with
      2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass tube let
      go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a good 1.5
      inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that the shaft
      runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?

      thanks in advance
      deryk
    • Deryk
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 3, 2007
        So, What does the shaft look like where it goes into the
        coupler? Ive got a 1979 Watkins with the ysm 8 diesel. I can barely
        get to the back side of my motor, I have to lie on top of my engine
        from inside the cabin to get to it. Is it a matter of just loosening
        the 2 set screws and pulling the shaft out, or do I need to remove
        the bolts holding the 2 couplers together or both?

        I sprayed it all up with pt blaster. Im going to start working
        on it on thursday, Im hoping in 3 days I might be able to get it
        out. Would really appreciate any advice, Ive never done this
        before. Ive been told its not a hard job as in complex, just hard to
        get apart. And my marina charges $95 an hour and wont give me an
        estimate... gets me a littlenervous lol. Im hoping to get it apart
        and just let them put it back together so it wont leak lol.

        Thanks in Advance
        Deryk
        "Wanderer" 1979 Watkins 27 CB

        --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "Deryk" <deryk_macleod@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > Well I got pulled out this weekend, and man was my prop
        covered in
        > quater sized barnacles... well they noticed my cutlass bearing has
        > moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of the
        > Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does. Im
        > guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass tube,
        with
        > 2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass tube
        let
        > go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a good
        1.5
        > inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that the
        shaft
        > runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?
        >
        > thanks in advance
        > deryk

      • John Myers
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 3, 2007
          There is a detailed article on how to replace the cutless bearing on a W27
          on the watkinsowners.com website.

          The article is in the "How To Articles" section.

          John Myers

          _____

          --- In watkins@yahoogroups <mailto:watkins%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Deryk"
          <deryk_macleod@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          > Well I got pulled out this weekend, and man was my prop
          covered in
          > quater sized barnacles... well they noticed my cutlass bearing has
          > moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of the
          > Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does. Im
          > guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass tube,
          with
          > 2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass tube
          let
          > go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a good
          1.5
          > inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that the
          shaft
          > runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?
          >
          > thanks in advance
          > deryk

        • Deryk
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hello,
            Well The problem is that mine doesnt look anything like that. I
            dont have a pipe piece on the outside, I have a fiberglass tube that
            the prop shaft passes through and its fiberglassed into the boat. Im
            not sure if that is how the boat came, or was modified in the last 29
            years. Since the cutlas bearing moved inwards up the tube towards
            the motor, I have to remove the shaft to replace it, or cheat and
            just take the prop off and slide a new cutlass bearing in and hope it
            either pushes the old cutlas bearing up more, or cut it to fit.

            I would really rather replace it, just need some info about the
            other end of the shaft. I heard someone mention that its "keyed"
            well Ive been reading through a book on diesel motors and and see
            mention of a "Keyway" on the shaft coupling. So is the motorside
            prop shaft have a notch in it?

            I havent started on it yet but does the rubber boot that goes
            around the shaft with the stainless steel bands, is it removeable
            without cutting it off?

            Thanks in Advance
            Deryk
            "Wanderer" 1979 Watkins 27 CB

            --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "John Myers" <jdmyers@...> wrote:

            > There is a detailed article on how to replace the cutless bearing
            on a W27
            > on the watkinsowners.com website.
            >
            > The article is in the "How To Articles" section.
            >
            > John Myers
            >

            > _____

            Behalf Of
            > Deryk
            > Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 9:48 PM
            > To: watkins@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [watkins] Re: Cutlass bearing
            >

            > So, What does the shaft look like where it goes into the
            > coupler? Ive got a 1979 Watkins with the ysm 8 diesel. I can barely
            > get to the back side of my motor, I have to lie on top of my engine
            > from inside the cabin to get to it. Is it a matter of just
            loosening
            > the 2 set screws and pulling the shaft out, or do I need to remove
            > the bolts holding the 2 couplers together or both?
            >
            > I sprayed it all up with pt blaster. Im going to start working
            > on it on thursday, Im hoping in 3 days I might be able to get it
            > out. Would really appreciate any advice, Ive never done this
            > before. Ive been told its not a hard job as in complex, just hard
            > get apart. And my marina charges $95 an hour and wont give me an
            > estimate... gets me a littlenervous lol. Im hoping to get it apart
            > and just let them put it back together so it wont leak lol.
            >
            > Thanks in Advance
            > Deryk
            > "Wanderer" 1979 Watkins 27 CB
            >
            > --- In watkins@yahoogroups <mailto:watkins%
            40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Deryk"
            > <deryk_macleod@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > > Well I got pulled out this weekend, and man was my prop
            > covered in
            > > quater sized barnacles... well they noticed my cutlass bearing
            has
            > > moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of the
            > > Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does. Im
            > > guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass tube,
            > with
            > > 2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass
            tube
            > let
            > > go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a
            good
            > 1.5
            > > inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that the
            > shaft
            > > runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?
            > >
            > > thanks in advance
            > > deryk

          • John Myers
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 4, 2007
              As you said, you will need to remove your prop shaft. The hardest part will
              be removing the flange at the engine.

              One of the older posts described what I thought was a good method.

              1: Loosen or remove the set screws for the prop shaft on the prop shaft
              coupling.

              2: Remove the 4 bolts holding the coupling halves together.

              3: Put a nut just smaller than the shaft size inside the couplings where
              the two shafts meet and then replace the bolts and retighten them slowly
              like wheel lugs where you tighten opposites sides a little at a time.

              This will act as a wheel puller and force the shaft out of coupler.

              If the bolts are too short, use longer ones.

              John Myers

              _____

              --- In watkins@yahoogroups <mailto:watkins%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "John
              Myers" <jdmyers@...> wrote:

              > There is a detailed article on how to replace the cutless bearing
              on a W27
              > on the watkinsowners.com website.
              >
              > The article is in the "How To Articles" section.
              >
              > John Myers
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: watkins@yahoogroups <mailto:watkins%40yahoogroups.com> .com
              > So, What does the shaft look like where it goes into the
              > coupler? Ive got a 1979 Watkins with the ysm 8 diesel. I can barely
              > get to the back side of my motor, I have to lie on top of my engine
              > from inside the cabin to get to it. Is it a matter of just
              loosening
              > the 2 set screws and pulling the shaft out, or do I need to remove
              > the bolts holding the 2 couplers together or both?
              >
              > I sprayed it all up with pt blaster. Im going to start working
              > on it on thursday, Im hoping in 3 days I might be able to get it
              > out. Would really appreciate any advice, Ive never done this
              > before. Ive been told its not a hard job as in complex, just hard
              > get apart. And my marina charges $95 an hour and wont give me an
              > estimate... gets me a littlenervous lol. Im hoping to get it apart
              > and just let them put it back together so it wont leak lol.
              >
              > Thanks in Advance
              > Deryk
              > "Wanderer" 1979 Watkins 27 CB
              >
              > --- In watkins@yahoogroups <mailto:watkins%
              40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Deryk"
              > <deryk_macleod@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi All,
              > > Well I got pulled out this weekend, and man was my prop
              > covered in
              > > quater sized barnacles... well they noticed my cutlass bearing
              has
              > > moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of the
              > > Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does. Im
              > > guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass tube,
              > with
              > > 2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass
              tube
              > let
              > > go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a
              good
              > 1.5
              > > inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that the
              > shaft
              > > runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?
              > >
              > > thanks in advance
              > > deryk

            • Deryk
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 4, 2007
                Thanks John,

                I was wondering why the bolts were about an inch longer then
                the back coupling. Ive spent the day reading online about how to
                pull the shaft. Hopefully it wont be too bad. I did find a place
                to replace the shaft in stainless for around $200 so if worst comes
                to worst there is an option.

                The black rubber piece that Im guessing holds the packing... is
                it reuseable? There looks like a bronze piece thats threaded that
                the shaft passes through. I really need to upload a few pics of all
                this stuff.

                thanks again
                deryk

              • Deryk
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 5, 2007
                  Well, wasnt as bad as it could have been. I had to buy a pair of
                  larger vicegrips for 20 bucks and was able to use the grips to hold
                  the shaft on the inside right behind the coupling plates, undid the 4
                  bolts and 2 set screws, and pushed the shaft forward about an inch
                  and a half till the coupling plate was up against the brass packing
                  box... I went down below and started wiggling it back and forth and
                  believe it or not, the cutlass joint popped out enough to grab it
                  with the vice grips and ease her out. Later on I will undo the 2
                  nuts and pop the prop off and take the CB off and measure and order a
                  new one. Hopefully the end of next weekend she will go splashing
                  back in.

                • John Myers
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 5, 2007
                    No the black flexible hose does not hold the packing. The packing is inside
                    the brass piece on the end of the rubber hose. Everything there should be
                    reusable. The brass assembly has multiple parts to it and the packing is
                    squeezed in place by a packing nut and then there is a lock nut that locks
                    the packing nut from turning. To adjust the amount of drips per minute out
                    of the packing, you loosen the brass locking nut and tighten the packing nut
                    then retighten. Usually about a quarter of a turn at a time until you have
                    5-8 drips per minute.

                    John Myers

                    _____

                    Myers" <jdmyers@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > has
                    > > > moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of
                    the
                    > > > Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does.
                    Im
                    > > > guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass
                    tube,
                    > > with
                    > > > 2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass
                    > tube
                    > > let
                    > > > go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a
                    > good
                    > > 1.5
                    > > > inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that
                    the
                    > > shaft
                    > > > runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?

                  • John Peterson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 6, 2007
                      Deryk,

                      Do a Google Search for Stuffing Box and several good sites come up with
                      instructions and pictures.

                      The link below was written by a Marine Surveyor in my sailing club for
                      Chesapeake Bay Magazine

                      http://www.captfklanier.com/articles/art17.htm

                      Another good site with diagram

                      http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/projects/stuffing/stuffing_box.htm

                      Your stuffing box has to be adjusted correctly or you will have lots of
                      water coming in the boat when it goes back in. Last year I took the stuffing
                      box out and put a PSS Dripless Shaft seal in my boat and I love it!

                      John

                      _____

                      Myers" <jdmyers@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > has
                      > > > moved inside and needs to be replaced. I was the link off of
                      the
                      > > > Watkins owners page, and his looks different then mine does.
                      Im
                      > > > guessing it was replaced before, and they used a fiberglass
                      tube,
                      > > with
                      > > > 2 setscrews to hold the bearing. Well one side the fiberglass
                      > tube
                      > > let
                      > > > go and the other set screw must of came out. The bearing is a
                      > good
                      > > 1.5
                      > > > inches inside that sort of triangular fiberglass piece that
                      the
                      > > shaft
                      > > > runs through. Anyone know how it was originally designed?

                    • Deryk
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 6, 2007
                        Hey Paul,

                        I tried emailing ya back 2 times and it keeps comingback as
                        Delivery to the following recipients failed.
                        praying_for_mariah@...

                        --- In watkins@yahoogroups.com, "John Peterson" <john.peterson@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Deryk,
                        >

                        > Do a Google Search for Stuffing Box and several good sites come up
                        with
                        > instructions and pictures.
                        >

                        > The link below was written by a Marine Surveyor in my sailing club
                        for
                        > Chesapeake Bay Magazine
                        >
                        > http://www.captfklanier.com/articles/art17.htm
                        >

                        > Another good site with diagram
                        >
                        > http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/projects/stuffing/stuffing_box.htm
                        >

                        > Your stuffing box has to be adjusted correctly or you will have
                        lots of
                        > water coming in the boat when it goes back in. Last year I took the
                        stuffing
                        > box out and put a PSS Dripless Shaft seal in my boat and I love it!
                        >

                        > John
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Conrad
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 7, 2007
                          It did the same to me, also. Paul is like Frosty the Snowman, he'll
                          be back again someday!

                          C in Atlanta

                        • Deryk
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 14, 2007
                            Hello All,

                            Well splashed in yesterday, had to tighten the stuffingbox a
                            little but she is running much better again...thanks for the advice
                            folks.

                            deryk

                            wrote:

                            > Deryk,
                            >

                            > Do a Google Search for Stuffing Box and several good sites come up
                            with
                            > instructions and pictures.
                            >

                            > The link below was written by a Marine Surveyor in my sailing club
                            for
                            > Chesapeake Bay Magazine
                            >
                            > http://www.captfklanier.com/articles/art17.htm
                            >

                            > Another good site with diagram
                            >
                            > http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/projects/stuffing/stuffing_box.htm
                            >

                            > Your stuffing box has to be adjusted correctly or you will have
                            lots of
                            > water coming in the boat when it goes back in. Last year I took the
                            stuffing
                            > box out and put a PSS Dripless Shaft seal in my boat and I love it!
                            >

                            > John
                            >

                            > _____

                          • John Myers
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 14, 2007
                              How about an explanation of what you found and how you fixed it?

                              John Myers

                              S/V Y KNOT a 1986 W25 #68

                              _____

                              Peterson" <john.peterson@...>
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > engine
                              > > > from inside the cabin to get to it. Is it a matter of just
                              > > loosening
                              > > > the 2 set screws and pulling the shaft out, or do I need to
                              > remove
                              > > > the bolts holding the 2 couplers together or both?
                              > > >
                              > > > I sprayed it all up with pt blaster. Im going to start working
                              > > > on it on thursday, Im hoping in 3 days I might be able to get
                              it
                              > > > out. Would really appreciate any advice, Ive never done this
                              > > > before. Ive been told its not a hard job as in complex, just
                              > hard
                              > > > get apart. And my marina charges $95 an hour and wont give me
                              an
                              > > > estimate... gets me a littlenervous lol. Im hoping to get it
                              > apart
                              > > > and just let them put it back together so it wont leak lol.

                            • Deryk
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 16, 2007
                                Hello Folks,

                                Im not sure what the original design for the cutlas bearing
                                setup was on my boat, but my cutlas bearing was in a fiberglass tube
                                that protruded out about an inch where it was held in by 2 set
                                screws, one side of the protruding tube had a piece missing where 1
                                of the set screws was, the other set screw was missing, and the
                                cutlas bearing slid inside towards the motor about an inch and a half.

                                Looking back on it now, I wonder if i had something like an
                                icepick with the tip bent like an embroidery needle I got a feeling I
                                might have been able to pull it out without even going inside the
                                boat... but hindsight is always 20-20...would have been interesting
                                to try. Being 5'10 and 220 lbs crawling in through the lazerette
                                wasnt really an option, I had to go in through the cabin laying on
                                top of my motor to get at the shaft. I loosened and removed the 4
                                bolts. there was about 2 inches of play between the packing nut and
                                the coupling plate.

                                I climbed out and while havin a cigarette I pushed the prop back
                                in and pulled it back outand I saw my cutlass bearing move closer
                                towards me. So I kept doin it for a few more times till the edge of
                                the bearing was sticking out and grabbed it with a pair of vicegrips
                                and pulled it free. I did look into the thought of cutting the shaft
                                and replacing it if I had too many issues getting it free of the
                                coupling, but since I got the bearing out without it I was happy.

                                The mechanic at my marina suggested using 4200 when I put it
                                back together, and put 3 set screws in to hold it more firmly, along
                                with a ss pipe clamp over it to hopefully prevent the set screws from
                                coming out again on their own.

                                I learned that the stuffing box is made up of 3 parts, the cup,
                                the threaded part, and the locknut. Had some issues getting the
                                threaded pipe part and the cup to sepaprate but a few good whacks
                                with a wrench got them loose and I was able to crank it down to slow
                                down the dripping. I might repack it this weekend...i still need to
                                realign the shaft...back out the 4 bolts and use a feeler gauge to
                                get them all the same degree of tightness.

                                All in all it wasnt a horrid job, and saved me at least 600
                                dollars, so Im happy.

                              • davidmgrimm69
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 12, 2013
                                  Has anyone replaced their cutlass bearing on their Watkins 27. Mine is shot and I need a new one. One big problem mine is 3/4 X 1 and 3/8.  Only two companies make cutlass bearings and the smallest is 3/4 x 1 and 1/2   Any suggestions.

                                  Also we'er have a hella of a time on the bottom job. Pandora's Box. one thing after another. See my photos if I can upload.

                                  No wifi at the boat yard. 361 two one two 09 eight three. is you know where I can get a bearing.

                                  Thanks
                                  David
                                • David Grimm

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 13, 2013
                                      I have not changed mine, but I just googled it and found tons of info...good luck
                                    • David Grimm
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 13, 2013
                                        Rick,
                                        Its not about how to change the cutlass bearing but the size.  No one makes the size anymore.  3/4 x 1" 3/8    I have not found a site that sales that size.

                                        On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM, RICK TARA <ricktara@...> wrote:

                                        I have not changed mine, but I just googled it and found tons of info...good luck

                                      • Joseph Ward
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 13, 2013
                                          Check out pacificmarine.net.  If they can't provide the size you need, will probably know where to get it.

                                          Joe Ward
                                          Southern Dream W29

                                          sent from mobile phone

                                          On Nov 13, 2013, at 8:19 PM, David Grimm <conagher60@...> wrote:

                                          Rick,
                                          Its not about how to change the cutlass bearing but the size.  No one makes the size anymore.  3/4 x 1" 3/8    I have not found a site that sales that size.

                                          On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM, RICK TARA <ricktara@...> wrote:

                                          I have not changed mine, but I just googled it and found tons of info...good luck

                                        • Michael Perry

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 14, 2013
                                                I did on my old 79 w-27.  I have outlined the proceedure in earlier post from this year.  Short version: I removed outside rear plate on back end of skeg where prop exits boat.  Pulled propeller, removed set screws in side of rear facing plate that kept cutlass bearing from spinning, grasp exposed portion of cultass bearing, twisted and slid it outy.  Put in new one and reversed process.  I do believe my set up was a bit different in that one the plate was off it exposed about3/4 to 1 inch of cutlass bearing.  Not sure if this was standard on W-27.
                                                Paul L

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 14, 2013
                                                  I hate to state the obvious but the Watkins Website: www.watkinsowners.com has a several page long explanation along with color photos on how to change the cutlass bearing on a W27.

                                                  Look in the "How To" section.  Caveat:  Every boat is different.  Some have 3/4" shafts and others 1" shafts.

                                                  Any local machine shop can make one from scratch or cut a longer one off or bore a smaller one out or what ever.
                                                  I recommend removing old one and use for pattern.

                                                  John Myers
                                                  Webmaster for www.watkinsowners.com

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 16, 2013
                                                    John
                                                    Thanks for the reminder about the Watkins site.  My cutlass bearing is nothing like yours. I have a 7/8x1 3/8 x 3.5 bearing. I can take a photo of it tomorrow.  I'm having a new prop shaft built as mine is history. Seems that the last owner or two didn't use any zincs and it is eaten up big time. Prop in good shape. Mine is a 16LH13 three blade.

                                                     I raised the water line 2 " and put on a coat of 2000 on this morning. Will have to lightly sand in the morning and start the bottom pain. I'll do 3 to 4 coats on the waterline and the bottom of the keel.

                                                    To much going on next week starting Tuesday so maybe we can splash on Saturday. Its a two day trip back to her slip.

                                                    Just something to think about.  I hired a diver that claims to know what he is doing. I asked him how my zinc was and he said it looks brand new. Funny thing or really a sad thing I didn't have a zink but the cutlass bearing was coming out. Next time I'll ask for references.

                                                    David