RE: [waterturtles] Shell fungus/rot

  • Michael Myers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      This is definitel the situation, right down the the small white pits, but otherwise everything else is in great health. My order of Nolvasan came today, so I will start treatment tomorrow.

      Can I get an idea as to what everyone else uses for lighting? I have a UVB light for them, does anyone have a preference for basking lights? I used to use an infrared heat lamp, but most people say the musks and muds don't need the sunlight. I used to always keep my turts outside, so I've never really had to worry about lighting or processing calcium. Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.

      My mud turtle who is in the same cage shows no signs of any issue.

      Thanks,
      Mike

      To: waterturtles@yahoogroups.com
      From: maryhopson@...
      Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:11:16 -0800
      Subject: Re: [waterturtles] Shell fungus/rot

      Check this page and see if you think it might what you are seeing:
      <http://www.turtlepu ddle.org/ health/shellrot. html>

      Mary at the TurtlePuddle
      <http://www.turtlepu ddle.org>

      Michael Myers wrote:

      > Hi gang,
      >
      > Tonight I was cleaning my mud and musk turtles' aquarium, and noticed
      > the musk seems to be developing a little pit on one of his carapace
      > scutes. I have never encountered this before, but this guy seems to
      > have had shell issues since the get go.
      >
      > Since I haven't had this issue before, I don't know how to treat it.
      > The mud turtle's shell is perfectly fine, the water temperature is
      > usually between 75-80 degrees, the water is filtered, and the
      > appetites are intact. Does anybody have an idea why this might have
      > started, and how to prevent the pit from becoming any bigger, and heal
      > the current spot?
      >
      > One thing I have noticed that I've wanted to mention here is that
      > after changing the water, a few days later an oily film will form on
      > the top of the water. Anybody encounter that before? I use the Fluval
      > 2 plus to filter the water, but this seems to form in all my
      > aquariums.
      >
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
      >
      > Best,
      > Mike

      Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!