A little help

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      Hi I am an avid keeper of exotic snakes and lizards but not a turtle
      person perse witch is why I come here for advice. Earlier this year my
      younger sister found a Western Pond Turtle on the walkway in front of
      my parents house, presumably brought there by one of my parents many
      cats. this individual was extreamly small and very far from the
      nearest water source. She called me for advice and talked my father
      into letting her keep it. I have been tracking its weight and feeding
      and like I said I am not a turtle person so can anyone tell me if the
      following figures sound right?

      Since 5-14-07 its average prey intake is 6-15 crickets every 3 days,
      also they took my advice and got some sort of vegetation fro the local
      pet store "I can say its an awesome caring store" for the individual.
      Today we also changed the schedule to offering food every day.

      With that sort of prey intake in mine the individual started out
      weighing in at 4.50G on 5-15-07 and now weighs in at 5.80G today. All
      measurements were taken wet just after eating.

      We took the first measurement of the shell today and it was 1 1/8 long
      and 1 1/16 wide. Do all these figures sound good to you. If not what
      recommendations do you have?

      I would also like to note this species is not endangered in this area
      so no worries there.
      Thanks a million for any help and or any resorses on the web that I
      can pass on to my sister.
    • Michele
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
        Here's a great care sheet and the site is full of great info. Please make special note of lighting needs.

        Michele Hurd
        "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk?
         but, can they suffer?"-Jeremy Bentham
        http://mshurd.50megs.com/ (home page)
        http://www.elar.org  (Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue)
        I would also like to note this species is not endangered in this area
        so no worries there.
        Thanks a million for any help and or any resorses on the web that I
        can pass on to my sister.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:waterturtles-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:waterturtles-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Alex Netherton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2007
          One of the best foods out there is Repto-Min, by Tetra. Also good is
          Wardley's reptile sticks.
          Please remember that baby turtles have a greater need for protein than
          adults, so are almost completely carnivorous. Also, Painted Turtles tend
          to carnivory all their lives; I had one once that would eat nothing but
          red worms (night crawlers). Remember to avoid worms grown in manure, as
          they will poison the baby.

          I think perhaps your turtle might be a little under nourished. They grow
          quickly their first year, and gain a lot of weight. I don't think that
          crickets are enough. They are fine for lizards, but for turtles...

          I would feed Repto-Min, found at most pet stores, plus (I think) K-Mart
          and Wal-Mart. Feed as much as the baby will eat. Dusting the food with
          Repto-Vite (a Calcium and vitamin supplement) would help tremendously.
          If it refuses Repto-Min, go with night crawlers from the bait shop, and
          dust with Repto-Vite.

          --
          Alex Netherton, an Appalachian Naturalist
          http://alexnetherton.com