temperature problem

  • nikos1320
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      i seem to have some problem with the temperature in my tank.
      the lamp i use doesn't get the temperature up more than 20 C ! but
      two years ago when i was using the same lamp with 100 watt i did work
      ok. now this new lamp is 40 watt. does this make the difference?
      could anyone please help out? thanx
    • Tony and Judy Simmons
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        The wattage of the light bulb refers to power
        consumption. Most of the energy used (wasted) by
        incandescent lights is released in the form of heat.
        A 100 watt bulb is not only brighter than a 40 watt
        bulb but also much hotter. Be careful to make sure
        that the base will support a 100 watt bulb. Plastic
        bases normally only support around 60 watts.

        tony

        --- nikos1320 <nikos132@...> wrote:

        > i seem to have some problem with the temperature in
        > my tank.
        > the lamp i use doesn't get the temperature up more
        > than 20 C ! but
        > two years ago when i was using the same lamp with
        > 100 watt i did work
        > ok. now this new lamp is 40 watt. does this make the
        > difference?
        > could anyone please help out? thanx

        Tony and Judy Simmons
        turtleranchhoncho@...
        http://www.theturtleranch.com
        Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun. But I have
        never been able to make out the numbers.

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • nikos1320
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In waterturtles@yahoogroups.com, Tony and Judy Simmons
          <turtleranchhoncho@y...> wrote:
          >thanks
          > The wattage of the light bulb refers to power
          > consumption. Most of the energy used (wasted) by
          > incandescent lights is released in the form of heat.
          > A 100 watt bulb is not only brighter than a 40 watt
          > bulb but also much hotter. Be careful to make sure
          > that the base will support a 100 watt bulb. Plastic
          > bases normally only support around 60 watts.
          >
          > tony
          >
          > --- nikos1320 <nikos132@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > i seem to have some problem with the temperature in
          > > my tank.
          > > the lamp i use doesn't get the temperature up more
          > > than 20 C ! but
          > > two years ago when i was using the same lamp with
          > > 100 watt i did work
          > > ok. now this new lamp is 40 watt. does this make the
          > > difference?
          > > could anyone please help out? thanx
          > >

          > Tony and Judy Simmons
          > turtleranchhoncho@y...
          > http://www.theturtleranch.com
          > Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun. But I
          have
          > never been able to make out the numbers.

          > http://farechase.yahoo.com

        • Michele
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            The wattage definitely makes a difference as to how much heat it puts out.
            Michele Hurd
            "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk?
             but, can they suffer?"-Jeremy Bentham
            http://mshurd.50megs.com/ (home page)
            http://www.elar.org  (Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue)